• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Q About my MC Xpress turbo kit..

Aug 15, 2008
Hey everybody, I picked up an apex in August brand new and decided to boost it from day one. I got my kit installed at a shop and got the 290hp kit. Anywho, due to me not even rippiing the sled apart to trace lines and see what's under the hood I'm not too familiar with the equipment underneath yet. Anywho,
I just picked up my sled on Wednesday and brought it home and went for a test run. When I brought it back I noticed a little bit of smoke coming up from under the hood. I didn't have any high boost runs or even full throttle for that matter, just 1/2 to 3/4 throttle to see what she was like. Anyways, I found where the smoke was coming from and it was coming from a tube that comes from on top of the engine on the clutch side of the engine and is ziptied underneath the intercooler pointing at the intercooler. Am I right to say that this line is the crank case breather hose, that would formerly go back to the airbox?

If that is true, is this just something to do with breaking the sled in as to why I'm getting a bit of smoke fromt he crank case hose? Id does it if it just sits and idles as well, just remember it only has 4kms on it and hardly any run time.. Also, the smoke is just noticible when you are on the sled and the headlight illuminates it, there isn't very much at all...It did smell like a seal was getting used for the first time or something like that...

Sorry for the long winded post, it's just it's friday and it's been bugging me and I couldn't call my shop...

Cheers...

RX-1MT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Butte Montana
Just make sure its not pinched anywhere, did it smoke all the time or just from the start it possible that maybe the oil level was to high and it was blowing a little out

E

Extreme-One

Nov 26, 2007
Meridian, ID
Like others have said... your oil level might be a little high and it's burning it off. Also, the sled is new and you're going to smell things burning off like normal, but I'd watch it and double check that everything looks right.

Make sure you break the motor in first before you do any full throttle runs. I have a few buddies breaking in their new engines and they're being real careful to run 200-300 trail miles and then an oil change before they turn up the boost.

Good luck... you'll love the sled. I boosted mine with the same kit at the end of last season and I really liked it. Where did you get it installed?

Aug 15, 2008
I got it installed at E&S motorsports in Fort Sask, Alberta. The lines not pinched, so that's good. We finally got a dump of snow, so I'll go for a ride tomorrow and see what happens.. Thanks guys.

J
Dec 7, 2007
Kinuso, AB.
I did exactly what you are doing. I boosted mine right out of the crate. I took it easy on it and only ran 8lbs of boost for the first 500km. Then cranked it up. I have not had a single problem. Did my break in oil change and fresh oil to start every season after that.

Happy Boosting:beer;

Nov 28, 2007
Vernon
Is it oil smoke or just vapor?
Quite a bit of water builds up in the oil if the sled is started and stopped a lot like probably happened recently with loading and unloading and turbo install and inspection etc etc
When the oil get's up to temp it basically boils it off and is normal but the vapor shouldn't really smell
Burning oil smells like Hypoid gear oil

Aug 15, 2008
Im thinkin it might be a bit of oil smoke, but since the engine only has 4kms on it it could be just seals heating up or product from the factory burning off. The motor didn't smoke when I first got it with the airbox on, but now that the crank case is to atmosphere I see it.
I'm gonna break it in real easy, the only thing is that my shop that installed it couldn't get the boost lower than 14lbs, even backing off the waste gate fully. I did install a head shim and I am going to be mixing in some race fuel just to make sure.

Hopefully everything works out..just need some snow now...

On a side note, I have been hearing of people upgrading their blowoff valves, is this something I should look into? Which would be the best one? I don't think I got any spike in boost when I let off the throttle on my test run, but I will def look into it next time I take it out..

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
if you are worried about break in you can do this.run 5 hot to cold cycles you can do it in your garage if you like.start the sled run it on a stand or if you have a spot for a quick ride go easy on it, just short up & down of the throttle till the motor is hot coolant & oil then turn it off & let cool till its cold totally.run it through 5 of these, then first ride take it easy lots of on off throttle for one tank of fuel.after that you are good to go allot of motor guys recommend this & i have seen a bunch of motors broke in this way that still run great.:beer;

E

EZmoney

Nov 27, 2007
West coast
4kms your motor is not even close to broken in and your rings are most likely not seated. Yor getting some blow buy past the rings. Keep riding it at low boost for a tank of fuel or so.Have fun with the turbo their a riot:beer;

Premium Features