• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New trailer light choices

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota
Hey guys, I ordered a new 32' gooseneck and I have a week left before I can't add or change anything. I was wondering what guys/gals have done with exterior trailer lighting. I've added an extra set of tail lights, side turn signals on the fenders, back up lights, loading lights at the ramps, and 2 extra running lights on each side. That gives me 5 on the box and two up in the front on the side of the gooseneck. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their trailer light setups. I want to add more running lights, possibly a second row on the lower part of the side to match the upper. For whatever reason, on my print they didn't space the side running lights on the gooseneck either, not sure if it is a legality issue with it being narrower than the box or if it is a looks issue being my gooseneck has a slight taper. I would prefer the running lights to be spread evenly across the full length of the trailer. I'm waiting to hear back on that. Any opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

bkm20x

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Arnolds Park, IA
Curious why you want more lights? To me would be more of a hassle when they go out or break a lens. Something I have interest in is what did you order for interior lighting and accessories. I have a 2008 Haulmark 36' gooseneck that I am setting up for my sled hauler. Thanks

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Curious why you want more lights? To me would be more of a hassle when they go out or break a lens. Something I have interest in is what did you order for interior lighting and accessories. I have a 2008 Haulmark 36' gooseneck that I am setting up for my sled hauler. Thanks

I agree, I'd be more concerned with interior lighting. All the lights I need on the exterior is what it takes to make the trailer legal.

willjogervais

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2011
SW Minnesota

I want them more for looks than anything else. They are cheap and it will dress it up a bit if the time comes to sell it someday. (which i'm not planning on doing for a long time btw) They are all led's so I'm not concerned with the longevity or maintenance factor. I have 10 led ceiling lights in the interior. 8 spaced in the 24' box, and 2 in the gooseneck. One is on it's own switch so if we use it for overnight, I can turn a light on in the gooseneck (where my bed will be) without turning the whole trailer on. The other accessories I went with are 2 windows, rv door with window, front ramp, r5 insulated walls and ceiling- I plan on sprayfoaming the nudo flooring, furnace with enclosed vented ductwork, 4' cabinet that I will place once I pick it up, 2-40 gal fuel tanks, 2 powered roof vents, brace and wired for ac, 110v package w 55amp converter, 2 deep cycle 12v batteries and 2 30lb propane tanks in the gooseneck storage compartment, stub wiring for tv/radio/ heater for boot dryer, ect., 2 salem vents, leveling jacks, and bogey wheels. I'm still up in the air about having them add an awning. I am planning on adding fold down benches and table, - the mirage ones seem nice but pricey, possibly a couch, building a boot and gear dryer with a cabinet, adding a radio, and mounting a tool box and oil rack myself once i get it home

Last edited:

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
We have an older Haulmark gooseneck 32' square (40' overall) and it doesn't have any running lights down the side other than one in the middle at the top. The trailer is extra tall so that mid-ship clearance light is out of mirror view. That plus it being black it makes it pretty difficult to back it in anywhere at night if there's no surrounding lights. The tail lights and backup lights are back there but it's so far away from the cab it's hard to assess what angle the trailer is really at in relation. I would put at least two along the side top and bottom plus your mid-ship turn signal. I would keep them to a minimum on the gooseneck part as they shine in the back of the cab if they are facing forward much. Probably why they kept them off of there.

If you put the awning on put an outdoor light on that side of the trailer. We have two of them that face out the walk-in door side of the trailer and it's pretty nice at times.

L
Feb 14, 2023
USA
It's great to see so many trailer light choices on the market today. It's important to make sure you get the right lighting for your trailer, and having so many options makes it easier to find something that fits your needs. I recently switched to LED trailer lights for my trailer, and I'm really happy with the improved visibility and durability. It's definitely worth considering if you're in the market for a new set of lights.

R
Feb 14, 2023
USA
I'm in a similar spot as you, trying to figure out the best way to light up my trailer. I think it's great that you've added so many lighting options to help you stay safe on the road and make sure your trailer is visible. I'm sure you'll make your own unique setup that looks awesome! I'm not sure why your gooseneck has a taper, but it may be for aero-dynamics to help it move better. If you're looking for evenly spaced running lights, maybe you can try adding some range of quality LED Trailer Lights to the sides of the gooseneck. Those will be able to spread out more evenly, and you can make sure that the light is more concentrated in the areas you need it.

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom
Hey guys, I ordered a new 32' gooseneck and I have a week left before I can't add or change anything. I was wondering what guys/gals have done with exterior trailer lighting. I've added an extra set of tail lights, side turn signals on the fenders, back up lights, loading lights at the ramps, and 2 extra running lights on each side. That gives me 5 on the box and two up in the front on the side of the gooseneck. I was wondering if anyone had any pics of their trailer light setups. I want to add more running lights, possibly a second row on the lower part of the side to match the upper. For whatever reason, on my print they didn't space the side running lights on the gooseneck either, not sure if it is a legality issue with it being narrower than the box or if it is a looks issue being my gooseneck has a slight taper. I would prefer the running lights to be spread evenly across the full length of the trailer. I'm waiting to hear back on that. Any opinions and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Bill
  1. Consult local laws and regulations: Before adding any additional lighting to your trailer, make sure you are complying with all relevant laws and regulations in your area. This includes requirements for the type, placement, and visibility of lights.
  2. Consider functionality and safety: While aesthetics are important learn more, it's also crucial to prioritize functionality and safety when it comes to your trailer lighting. Make sure that all lights are working properly and are bright enough to be seen by other drivers.
  1. Consult local laws and regulations: Before adding any additional lighting to your trailer, make sure you are complying with all relevant laws and regulations in your area. This includes requirements for the type, placement, and visibility of lights.
  2. Consider functionality and safety: While aesthetics are important, it's also crucial to prioritize functionality and safety when it comes to your trailer lighting. Make sure that all lights are working properly and are bright enough to be seen by other drivers.
  3. Look for inspiration online: You might find some inspiration by searching online for images of other trailer light setups. Look for examples that are similar in size and style to your own trailer, and consider how you could adapt these designs to suit your needs.
  4. Experiment with different placements: Once you have a general idea of the type of lighting you want to add, experiment with different placements to see what works best. You might try placing temporary lights in different locations to get a sense of how they look and function.
  5. Consider hiring a professional: If you're not confident in your ability to add lighting to your trailer yourself, consider hiring a professional to do the job for you. They will have the expertise and equipment to ensure that your lights are installed safely and correctly.
Overall, the key is to strike a balance between aesthetics, functionality, and safety when it comes to your trailer lighting setup.

Premium Features