• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-Tec vs E-Tec

C
Nov 29, 2008
Considering pair of Summit Sport snow check - sounds like a great deal ...

How much of a real difference in reliability between P-tec and E-tec ... coming off of 08 Nytro so not used to wondering about engine issues ... but looking for a better / more fun / predictable chassis..... BRP 3 year engine warranty is great but doesn't help when ride is spoiled with sled in shop for repairs ...

Looking for real world experience / comparison and realize that there are some with no issues and some with nothing but issues ...

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
i would say the most important difference to me is carbs vs. direct injection. i gave up carbs years ago and will never own another sled with them. if the price is the most important thing than the sport is the best deal on the market. but if you don't mind spending more the summit is the way to go.

Last edited:
M
Dec 5, 2007
Calgary, AB
E-tecs are first pull after a roll-over. P-Tecs vary from 1 pull to 2 dozen pulls after a roll over followed by a smoke show. If you pull an E-tec over fully it will always start on the first pull but it is a little more effort than the P-tec to pull.

E-tecs have an electronic oil pump. P-tecs have a mechanical oil lever that runs off the throttle cable, this is a wear point for numerous sleds@~2000km and a job I do not miss. This is a wear point and will possibly not be covered under warranty. E-tecs have an effortless throttle pull compared to P-tecs because of this.

E-tecs have more top end HP. P-tecs have better low end grunt. Does this low end torque difference have to do with the larger/heavier stator to run the injectors, i do not know???

E-tecs motors do not stall/hesitate on abrupt take off / landings. P-tecs sometimes do.

E-tecs seem to be lasting a large amount of mileage when compared to past motors...

The summit sport is the best deal on snow. I may miss the power and low end grunt of my old 800/860 ptec but would not trade my E-tec in. The E-tecs seem to run smoother every year. Good luck!

Premium Features