• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SAFETY CONCERN: 2013 Pro A-Arm Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
Mine came apart this weekend. Lucky for me, I was in powder, and I wasn't thrown off the sled too hard. I ended up getting stuck, and discovered it when I went to pull on the ski to get the sled out. I had enough speed when it came loose to peel the ski back to the point that it broke the rear section of the lower a-arm off from the bulkhead. Also ruined my shock and bent the steering tie rod a little bit. Getting it back to the trail, then a 20 mile ride back to the truck made for an interesting end of the day.
I had a little over 400 miles on the sled, and have put it through the normal wear and tear that suspension will see...jumps, bumps, powder turns etc but I didn't hit anything directly. No dings or bends in the a-arm. There were some loose pieces of glue inside the silver pocket where the black part of the a-arm was fitted. If I remember correctly, I could also see some adhesive sticking out the small injection hole. However, it never seeped out between the silver portion and the black rod portion of the the a-arm.
Now for the best possible outcome to this disaster. I called my dealer and explained what happened. They did a quick check to make sure the sled is still under warranty, which it is since a it is 2 months old. No further questions and they said bring it in and they will fix it, site unseen. They said they were to order the parts yesterday after I dropped it off, and get it fixed ASAP since I "bought a new sled to use, and not look at." I guess I am one of the lucky ones who has a dealer that will go to bat for me and stand behind a product. For the record, my dealer is Fun Center Cycles in Durango, CO.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361372828.272745.jpg

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
So on a "good" a-arm can you see glue all around the shaft? Polaris has once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

T

TheHardWay

Jan 2, 2011
Hesperus, CO
I'm not sure if being able to see the adhesive squeezed out all around the shaft would constitute a 'good' a-arm or not. However, if it were me, I'd feel better seeing excess adhesive displaced around the whole shaft because it would seem there was enough adhesive applied during assembly to ensure contact over the entire surface area of the a-arm shaft and silver socket that it goes into.

D
Jan 18, 2010
D8 Crazy

Switch dealers! Kurt's Polaris would replace it no questions asked! That's why they are still in business. Thanks for the heads up and glad no one got hurt!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Bent the shock too! Bummer. Can you imagine if that had happened on the trail at a high rate of speed. Instant over the bars yard sale with high potential for injury. Come on Polaris. Let's see you come out with a recall fix soon!

P
Jan 22, 2013
leduc, alberta
This is what happens when you move your engineers down the road and isolate them from production......yes....a great team of engineers and a great design....but very lousy control of production execution and quality.....then a dealer response eerily similiar to General Motors service writer.

himarker

Premium Member
Dec 11, 2002
Prescott, Washington
I caught my lower left arm coming apart on the rear joint, spindle side. 331 miles, and no impacts to speak of. Local dealer warranties it no problems, no issues whatsoever. I didn't even buy the sled from them. (although at my time of purchase it was under different ownership)

Good dealership makes the difference.

trencher1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2012
Razer Town WY.
My local dealer got mine covered by Polaris when the dealer I bought it from told me it was highly unlikely. A good dealer is hard to find.

D
Mar 3, 2013
iv seen the sway bar attachment point debond and slide down the control arm as well as have seen 2 different sleds have the carbon frame break where its bonded to the aluminum frame on the upper left hand side.

sschulz

Premium Member
Mar 21, 2012
Iowa
I ride a Skidoo XM, but my buddy wrecked his A-arm a couple of weeks ago in Grand Mesa. I actually did the same thing the day before him. My only comment is that the Polaris actually thought about the rider who is going to tear up his a-arm and made it easy to swap out with all the bolts accessible on the outside of the sled. My damn Skidoo has to have the hood and entire exhaust removed just to get at one of the A-arm bolts. Same issue though - the rock caused the adhesive on the aluminum cast part to separate from the metal tubes and it also bent the shock. Luckily the tubes stayed inside the casting long enough to get it back to the trailer. Although the Polaris a-arm is alot easier to change out, the part was $250 vs. the skidoo part at $155. Mainly due to the all steel structure of the skidoo a-arm like most other a-arms and Polaris's use of the cast aluminum with the ball joint and adhesive attachment. Pretty expensive part if its not going to hold together when needed.

F
Dec 1, 2007
Auto collision repair shop use panel bond to glue panels on automobiles. I have seen pull tests where the metal will tear before the glue will ever let go. Proper prep and cleaning of surfaces that mate is key.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Again... IMO,

This is not an engineering problem...

It is a "consistency in quality" control and production management issue... on the 2013 PRO RMK's the majority are not having problems with the a-arms...But there are a Significant number of people that are.

Great engineering, and... from the track record this year... not enough consistency in quality-control or production management.

C
Nov 29, 2008
I apologize in advance for thinking out loud, again. Even the driveshaft had a channel for the glue to develop some thickness too, with contact occuring where the channel did not occur. With the A arms, there does not appear to be any channels to collect glue, nor any raised ridges on the inside of the aluminum connector that can guide the tube in so that maybe a decent thickness of glue can contact the tube end. It looks like a snug tight fit all around, so that any glue that was initially placed in the connector, gets scraped out of the contract area, as the tube is inserted into the connection hole. Also with a snug tight fit, it is impossible for the glue to be injected after assembly of the tube into the connector. In others words, a basic design flaw creating a high likelihood of failure. Whoever designed the ingenious driveshaft, did not continue the same logic in designing the A arm connectors that have only a small fraction of the driveshaft load.

x2
only possible way(s) I can see to properly manufacture glued slip joint would be:
1. to have sufficient tolerances to allow for desired glue / bond thickness (e.g.. ABS / PVC pipe & fittings)
2. adheasive film applied to parts and then activated (e.g. thermal)
3. injection of adheasive under pressure - would require end of tube insert to be capped
4. press fit or combination press / thermal action
5. mechanically fastened

either way QA seems to be lacking

H

HenkeEdge

Sep 3, 2012
Sweden
Again... IMO,

This is not an engineering problem...

It is a "consistency in quality" control and production management issue... on the 2013 PRO RMK's the majority are not having problems with the a-arms...But there are a Significant number of people that are.

Great engineering, and... from the track record this year... not enough consistency in quality-control or production management.

Don´t know if I totally agree with it, not being a construction fault.
When that happend on my friends machine he got it temporary fixed with a bolt straight thru. Just until he got he´s new Zbroz-kit, when he removed both sides he could empty out like 1dl water out of each A-arm.

Probably because of this:

wwlweh.jpg

Snow goes in turns to water, freezes up, melts in the garage, freezes up out in the mountains and so on. And everybody knows that frozen water expandes and have the power to destroy/crack metaltubing, radiators etc.

There is no drain-hole on the lowest part of the a-arms so why the hell do they make that kind of weld with a hole? :face-icon-small-con

Plain stupid engineering in my book.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
So I too have had an A-Arm seperate. No hit that I am aware of and it was the back of the a-arm that seperated so if it was due to a hit it would most likely be the front tube. Anyway the dealer said that Poo will now warrantee these but all must be sent back for inspection. Mine only had glue showing on one side. The dealer agreed that the upper weld hole is letting water in and could be contributing to the problem. They were so nice to silicon these shut on my sled now but when I asked them if they rolled the sled on its side to drain the water first, I got that deer in the headlights look.

rp2000r

Lifetime Membership
Sep 28, 2011
Bothell, WA
Had 2 13 Pro's both pull A-arms this weekend for no apparent reason. One was mine and the other my good riding buddy. No collision or tree's hit.
Sleds are heading to the dealer, Hopefully covered!

Premium Features