• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Friday's demo of the 2013 PRO-RMK

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
On Monday I got the call "Can you come to Utah and spend the day on a 2013 and give honest feedback?" Uh........ hello... HECK YA I can! So a quick conversation with my boss "I know I'm gone Wed-Fri of the next 6 weeks, but can I make it 7 and be gone this week too?" I get a smile and a sure! Quick booking of flights and the butterflies begin to flutter... I get to go ride the 2013 AND meet some of the engineers that makes these bad boys what they are. Flutter overtime!

Fast forward to Friday morning. We meet for breakfast, as each of the Polaris team members shows up I get more flutters. The "First Consumers to Demo the 2013 PRO" consists of Geoff Dyer, Tammy Shoen, Charlie Jones, Brent Anderson, Jared Sessions, Eric "mountainhorse" and myself. I don't know Charlie, YET but it is so good to see the rest again!

Off to a small presentation on some of the changes made and some industry insight to how the mountain segment is actually much bigger than I had previously thought. We sign our lives away and head to get dressed. This is odd for me, getting FULLY dressed for a ride in a hotel room. Have to admit, kind of nice. Walking out to the Polaris truck I see the camera pointed towards us and I can envision the scene from Armageddon when the crew is walking out to the space shuttle and everyone is cheering them on. Well, the only things cheering us on were crows, but hey, this is my moment of glory... I can be delusional!

Pick a machine, any machine they say. I find mine, I swear she was saying "pick me!" and give her a look over, swing a leg over and do a quick wiggle to feel the shocks. I grin. We are going to get along JUSSSSSSSST fine today. Instinctively I go to put my tether on, no tether. EEK, no likey this. But it's not my sled, its one day, deal...

The group does a quick beacon test. We've already had the conversation that while there isn't allot of snow, what is there is not stable. We'll do our best to stay on low angle hills, but the Polaris crew had seen 20* hills cracking the day before.

Todd Williams comes over to introduce himself and I'm a bit giddy, the man is amazing behind the camera and I get to spend the day with him. Yeeehaw!!

Start the sleds (it still amazes me that these 800s are so easy to start compared to my 08 700) look down and this one has 2.5 miles on it. This brings a flashback of the earlier talk "PLEASE do not break these DEMO's, we don't have replacement parts for them yet and they kick off their Demo Tour tomorrow in Seeley Lake". Stink... I'll try.

We head on up the hill and it is socked in and really not that much snow on the ground, I don't care... I'm on a 2013, in Utah AND with some of my favorite peeps.

Earlier it was mentioned that the belt drive could be somewhat noisy until it breaks in, so expect that. I'm groovin' down the trail and would not say that mine was noisy at all! We finally get to our "base camp" and Marty says "go play, check back here periodically". It was as if the flag was dropped at the starting line, sleds started and off everyone went like a shotgun blast. I see Phatty to my right picking this line, Brent in front of me picking that line, fine I'll go to the left and find the FUN line, hehe. After weaving through the trees and popping out on top it feels like the clutching is spot on and smooth, throttle response as I feather while weaving is crisp. Sled is responding to my big toe's request for movement. This sled IS different than my 2012! How can that be? It looks the same, hmm....

More climbing, more carving. The snow is very unpredictable, soft here, stop you there.... Back to "base camp" for a quick check in and they tell me to go up and find Todd for some filming. Bust up through some trees, come to an opening and see him at the top. Show time, this is a nice bumpy hill that could just throw you around. I maneuver my sled through a few and am giggling now, this is FUN! After a few runs I decide head around behind Todd through some trees, a little sidehill action. First run, he doesn't catch so "do it again". I go around and this time my tree magnet got the best of me. A few minutes later I'm out and off again. The time flew by and before I know it it is time to go do the interview process. This makes me more nervous that any riding! LOL But it is part of the process and this time, I actually enjoyed myself.

While someone else was being tortured/interviewed Eric mentions that his sled had a nasty vibration and asked Jared if he would take it for a spin to check it out. Before doing so Jared flips this machine on its side and quickly finds the source of said vibration.... a log. Not a stick or twig... a foot long, probably 6" wide by about 2" thick LOG is between the track and the bulkhead. Astonishing that the sled moves at all. I guess the power plant is quite powerful after all!??!

After that a little more throttle time through the trees and then it was time to head home. We arrive back at the trailer and I give mine a quick hug and kiss good bye. Back to reality...

The things that stood out to me:

The running boards - they kick booote'. These things grip. Yes, the snow did seem to build up on the tunnel by the footwell, but it didn't seem to affect my footing in any way. I found myself doing the "snow clearing shuffle" 90% less than normal, wow. Think of how much energy you will save by NOT having to do this? Then there is the concern of boot damage by doing this so much. An even bigger point (to me) is I felt an added confidence that I didn't have to worry about whether or not my boards are clean. Cruising along, need to pull into a quick move? On the 2012 stock boards, most of the time in the back of my mind I'm hoping (because at this point it is too late to stop and make sure) my feet are clear, will stick and I won't come sliding off when I do bust that move. This worry brings hesitation and lack of confidence. Not worrying about this brings confidence to bust an even harder move!

The boards were noticeably stiffer too. I'm 150#s w/o gear... and after a few rides on my 2012 my boards were starting to sway; I don't see this happening on the 2013. They come in a Heavy Duty version for you huckers and bigger peeps, AND you will be able to retro-fit your 2012 and 2011s with these.

The tipping point - On my 2012 I'm tipping all the way over allot when I get aggressive and get my shoulder into the snow. Seems like often I'm shoulder down, full throttle and track washing out on me and I can't get back up. "The Flop" I've dubbed it. And then once I've flopped, it is next to impossible for me to get it up righted on my own without expending allot of energy. The 2013 was noticeably different here. I hooked hard into a shoulder dragging carve and popped right back up. For chits and giggles on the trail we flopped her all the way over to see how hard it would be for me to get her upright and it was very easy. Something here is different even though the sleds appear to have the same geometry. Weight maybe??

Over all ease of riding - My normal riding elevation is 4-6K and I live at about 200' elevation. I am not in cardio shape to ride at 10k. But at no time during my ride on Friday did I find myself out of breath. This tells me that this sled is expending less of my energy, which will make my days longer and my next morning less sore. This is huge in my world.

The weight - you feel it. The sled gets off the ground on smaller "bumps". I actually got stuck... and pulling the sled around felt easier.

The strength - the new A-Arms are strong! I took on a tree that I feel on my 2012 would have bent the a-arm. Yes, I know this sled is more "flickable" as they've coined it, but my tree fascination runs strong... and well, they do need tested. ;)

Kill switch relocation - I'm not a big fan of the kill switch in general, I've got mine zip tied open (we run tethers) so I don't have the concern of it getting hit at an inopportune time. With the new relocation I had no issues (other than Phatty) with branches nor my body hitting it.

Rear suspension - not sure if there's truly any changes here other than no conventional boggie wheels but now 2 small wheels inside the rails up at the front. But this suspension felt more responsive (than my stock 2012) to preloading off of jumps.

The belt drive - I love this option. I've broken a few chains and tensioners over the years and the only option then is a tow out, sucks. SO when the engineers tell me that this belt has the tensile strength of 17THOUSAND pounds that we will NOT be able to snap and even if it loses ALL of its teeth we'll be able to ride it out of the backcountry... I GET EXCITED!

The seat - This is the thing I use the least on a sled. I can not say anything about its comfiness... but I think it is going to be a good change for those with shorter legs. I am 5'10" and notice that my feet do drag sometimes when crossing over and on this shorter seat this didn't happen. When you get that drag, it slows you down and can cause for a different outcome in your move than you had planned.

Turning radius - when arriving back at the parking lot I had to turn the sled around and noticed that the thing turns on a dime. While I'm not a trail rider, sometimes you have to get turned around and I don't always like to use the reverse if the snow is soft (feel it's hard on the belt) so this will be nice in those situations.

I have read disgruntledness over the lack of HP increase in this sled. To those, I'd say ride this and tell me then if you truly think it is lacking. The sled WORKS well. IMO there are true HP junkies out there and for them, the aftermarket world is the option. But for your average mountain rider (trust me, I've ridden with thousands of them) and your average mountain terrain (not talking chutes here) this sled will out perform many a skill level. Not to offend there... just an observation. What Polaris didn't do in HP gains they did BIG in maneuverability and workability of this sled.

Things I would still like to see changed -

• Give me a tether. Please. :)
  • While these sleds are easy to start, I'm still not understanding why they will not start until you've pulled the cord all the way out. I do have a long wingspan, thank goodness, but when I'm getting tired... it gets frustrating to have to do this. But then at 417#s, I'm thinking electric start is in order! hehe
  • How about a shorter mountain bar? I've taken mine off completely as I don't want or need to use it. Many like it, but dang it sticks up there and is painful when it meets your guts or chest!

Pretty short list really... :face-icon-small-coo

The last thing I'd like to say is that these engineers can ride, they love what they do and they grin like little kids out on the snow! They listen to what is being said on here, might not comment, but they are checking in on us! We just need to be realistic in knowing that changes we want now will come later.. not now. This was a huge pleasure for me to meet them and get to have conversations with them. I truly wish I would have had more time for this.

Everyone else has coined this as the most "flickable" sled. I'm thinking it is the giggle machine. You can not help but grin and giggle when riding this. I've watched as unconfident riders hop off other sleds (even the IQ chassis) onto the PRO and you can see an instant change in their body language, confidence and skill level. Especially with the ladies, the timid become less so. With the refinements that have been made to the already fabulous PRO platform I think many are going to be pleasantly surprised with the 2013.

So..... with that long story done, if you have questions please ask. I'm hoping I remembered everything. This was an amazing opportunity and am beyond stoked I got to participate. Thank you Polaris!

The light was flat but still managed to get a few pics.

Mountainhorse
IMG_7535rs.jpg

IMG_7544rs.jpg

2fun4u
IMG_7563rs.jpg

IMG_7575rs.jpg

show off!
IMG_7579rs.jpg

IMG_7585rs.jpg

Todd Williams
IMG_7639rs.jpg

IMG_7644rs.jpg

Modsledr being interviewed
IMG_7649rs.jpg

Jared Sessions of Boondockers..hmm.. what's he up to?
IMG_7652rs.jpg

Modsledr
IMG_7653rs.jpg

IMG_7676rs.jpg

IMG_7684rs.jpg

Moi

IMG_7727rs.jpg

IMG_7733rs.jpg

IMG_7742rs.jpg

IMG_7759rs.jpg

IMG_7780rs.jpg

IMG_7785rs.jpg

We had lots of tag alongs, low snow..
IMG_7789.jpg

2fun and Jared taking pics of the log!
IMG_7792.jpg

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
Brandy,

Thank you for your interesting, yet objective assessment!

It's amazing that there is such a noticeable difference/improvement in the "tipping point" between the '11/'12s & the '13..............Poo must've done their homework..............

Thanks again,

Glen

R

Rock Star

Mar 29, 2008
Park City, Utah
Great review, Brandy. If I ever come back from FL, I'll be back on a Polaris Pro-RMK. They really are dedicated to getting this segment right. Good to know. The progress year to year is stunning the past several years.

Had I known all the possee was up at Daniels I'd have been up there for those eggs Benedict!! Good to see you on your way through.

M
Jan 22, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
Solid right up. I think you are on the money about the horsepower thing. I ride a bone stock 2011 163" and my buddies have mod sleds that have 165 to 220 horsepower, they can't do anything I can't do with my stock sled. Mine just doesn't wheelie as well. I think your next level agressive riders of today are not as conserned about power as they are about a sled that goes exactly where you point it with less effort. Because at the end of the day its about being able to ride all day without fatigue.
And I'm very glad to hear that the a arms are stronger. I've gone through 2 lower a arms in january alone! When you are riding on your edge all day you are going to hit stuff.
Thanks again for the update. Glad to hear that the updates work this well.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I can't disagree with Brandy on any of this. (looks like you had way more fresh than we did, lol)

Btw, who put all of the tree bark on the left side if the front bumper of the one i rode? LOL.

Tipping point was FAR easier than on the 2012Assault i jumped back and forth on.

Those running boards are very sweet.

Brandy, I think most people do their boot damage while kicking and stomping snow...while these running boards might have more teeth, i think a person will still do far less boot damage.

The ONLY thing i might do is drill some screws into that pretty rear running board bracket. Sorta like the Skinz boards...
I slid my boot across that once on a particular couple of maneuvers and the boot slipped.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I loved the sound of the belt drive. Lack of that chaincase sound is replaced by that quiet belt whistle...like a supercharger.

Sled Idaho

Lifetime Membership
Feb 14, 2002
McCall, Idaho
www.snowmobile-alliance.org
Great review B. Thanks for the honest assessment. Almost makes me wish I had waited a year to upgrade my 2003 700 Edge, but not quite.

The fact that they are able to retrofit the boards on the 2011-12 PROs really impresses me. That shows me that Poo is thinking about their existing riders and want them to get the most out of their sled without having to buy new.

I noticed a huge change in Jill when she hopped off my 2003 700 Edge and onto my new 800 PRO, so she bought a 600 PRO without much convincing needed.

Thanks again B! Glad it was so much fun!

P
Feb 26, 2011
Western NY
Thank you for the review. I'm riding a 02 800 rmk and this is the year I'm ordering a new rmk! Any word if these changes will also be on the assault or 600 rmk? I'm excited to see these sleds and even more excited to own one! Just hope the snow is better!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Why would a Doo rider like you have to be concerned about it? It's not like you are gonna buy one. Some of us actually like the idea that we can get a sled to do what we want it to with very little rider input. At 5' 7" and 160, this is the very reason I enjoy the pro over even the newer Doo.

S

scott t

Dec 6, 2010
Northern Wisconsin
Great info. May have to be my next sled! Maybe some after market company will come up with some training skis to put on the side in case ski-doo fred ever wants to try one. Lol!:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Had I known all the possee was up at Daniels I'd have been up there for those eggs Benedict!! Good to see you on your way through.

So good to see you too!

GREAT review B!!!
Every time I look at Tammy's helmet it reminds me of ".....THIS IS SPARTA!!"

I KNOW!

Btw, who put all of the tree bark on the left side if the front bumper of the one i rode? LOL.

Very good chance that was me. I was going to give her a once over at the parking lot to remove "evidence" but they wisked them away FAST.

I loved the sound of the belt drive. Lack of that chaincase sound is replaced by that quiet belt whistle...like a supercharger.

THAT's what it sounded like! :heart:

The fact that they are able to retrofit the boards on the 2011-12 PROs really impresses me. That shows me that Poo is thinking about their existing riders and want them to get the most out of their sled without having to buy new.
!

Scott, glad you got to upgrade, period! :) And yes, this "retrofit" is pretty awesome, IMO. Although many of the aftermarket board companies may not think so...

Thank you for the review. I'm riding a 02 800 rmk and this is the year I'm ordering a new rmk! Any word if these changes will also be on the assault or 600 rmk? I'm excited to see these sleds and even more excited to own one! Just hope the snow is better!

The Assault will not get the belt drive and they didn't mention anything about the 600s... I am sure there is more information coming!

somewhat concerened about being more flickable, would some agressive riders see that as unstable...

good info thanks

It is flickable, agile, not out of control. In fact, it is very controllable. Not seeing any issues with unstable.

phatty

Premium Member
Nov 21, 2007
Salt Lake City
www.boondockers.ca
somewhat concerened about being more flickable, would some agressive riders see that as unstable...

good info thanks

not at all. in fact its quite the opposite. the sled does exactly what you want it to do. Very stable and controlling. you can wait till the last second to maneuver and it responds like it should.

Premium Features