• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

THE EVOLUTION OF MY 2012 PRO RMK

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
GREAT THREAD Matt.

I want to know more about that thing that runs the track in the background though....

attachment.php

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Eric, we don't usually have setup or heavy snow until spring and that's too long to suffer with subpar performance. I ran it for 600 miles! As I said though, might try another one now that I have the horsepower to turn it.

Scott, that beast is a CAT MT865. It's a 500+ hp ag tractor with 36 inch wide Camoplast tracks. I'll sneak a pic of it in for ya somewhere.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Next it was time to install the proper handlebars for my application. I chose the Aerotaper carbon fiber wrapped oversized mini bar from FLY Racing. The bar is about 3 inches lower than the stock bar and much much stronger. I had to install an oversize mount to adapt the 1 1/8 base compared to the standard bars 7/8 diameter. These are also angled back a couple degrees at the ends of the bar compared to the stock bar. To top off my customization, I cut 1 inch off of each end to narrow the bars up. I didn't realize exactly how beneficial these lower bars were until I rode another pro rmk with the standard bar. The leverage and control gained by running a shorter bar is very major when hanging onto very steep sidehills and changing direction on those sidehills and maintaining control at low speeds. I don't want to start the 'bar height arguement'. For MY application and riding preference, the lower bar is a clear winner. As an added bonus, the carbon fiber wrapping does not absorb heat like aluminum, therefore resulting in more heat transfered to the grips.

As many others, I'm not a fan of the standard kill switch. I had the perfect size o-ring so I couldn't accidently bump the switch while riding and kill it, but if I held pressure, it would kill the sled. That was great until my pants caught the switch and sent it flying into the air! So, I turned to FLY Racing once again, and they have the perfect solution. This switch is spring loaded and has to be held down to kill the sled. It's a very universal switch and will mount on any 7/8 bar. Though my bars are 1 1/8 at the base, they taper out to 7/8 at the grips. There are color options and it's a simple 2 wire setup. I used a location that is out of the way, yet in reach of my thumb from the grip and easy to access. This will be one of the first changes I make to any of my sleds from here out. I ordered my bars and switch from the Western Power Sports online catalog. www.wps-inc.com

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

fly mini bar.jpg kill switch.jpg kill switch2.jpg

Fast Rider

Lifetime Membership
Mar 12, 2010
Bonney Lake, WA
Sled looks good Matt. Another trick to get rid of the push-button kill switch is to run the PERC switch which is a yellow button I believe and a 2 pin connector (or the dragon switch from the IQR race chassis..which comes in red and can be had for very cheap used)

Richey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Did you go back to the stock track from the Peak or did you use another track? Nice sled by the way looking forward to seeing the rest of the progression.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Did you go back to the stock track from the Peak or did you use another track? Nice sled by the way looking forward to seeing the rest of the progression.

No, I ended up changing to 3 inch pitch drivers and installing a 3 inch pitch single ply 153 camoplast challenger extreme 2.5 that I had on my cat last season. I probably never should have taken the stock track off...... In order to run 3 inch pitch drivers and a 2.5 track in a pro tunnel, some modifications are required.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Did you do the X1's on the back as well? I have X1's all around and I'm amazed how awesome they are. Really makes me want to hit stuff just to feel out the landing! So much adjustability in the rear and I'm still trying to find the right setup.

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Next in line was one of the components that I was most anticipating coming into the season...... ALL NEW TIMBERSLED MTN. TAMER rear suspension!

attachment.php

I chose a custom set of ICEAGE 'bomber' rails to mount the suspension to. I have full confidence in their product and know they will hold up to the beating I will put them through. Allen from Timbersled got the rails and suspension arms custom powdercoated for me to stand out and match the sled. For shocks, like the front, I wanted the toughest on the market. The EXIT x0 center and x1 rear from ZBORZ Racing are the top of the line shocks built for the Timbersled setup.

attachment.php

Here is a side by side comparison showing the differences from a 2011 version of the Mtn. Tamer, and the all new 2012 offering. The skid on the left is a 153 cat setup and the one on the right is for my 155 polaris. You can see the structural differences in the front and rear arm along with the highly anticipated coupling adjustment knob. Other visual differences include a wider single limiter strap and hard anodized cross shafts that match the bottom of the shocks to the rails.

attachment.php

Timbersled also offers tunnel reinforcement plates. With plans of jumping this sled a lot and riding very aggressive, I figured they would be a good idea. The plates replace the much smaller ones that come on the sled and greatly increase the strength of the tunnel at the rear mounting points for the suspension.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After installing the tunnel reinforcement plates, I was ready to add the last pieces of my SLEDSKIN wrap. I really like wrapping the sides of the tunnel to help prevent snow buildup and icing on the inside edge of the running boards. Also, it's a great place to advertise!

attachment.php

timbersled.jpg timbersled2.jpg timbersled6.jpg timbersled3.jpg timbersled4.jpg timbersled5.jpg

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Here are some pictures taken up high on the Continental Divide in Southern Colorado at the end of December by Phatty.

attachment.php

This one is by far my favorite with beautiful mountains in the background of this custom suspension.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

2012sledrearsuspension4.jpg 2012sledrearsuspension.jpg 2012sledrearsuspension2.jpg 2012sledrearsuspension3.jpg

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Eric, we don't usually have setup or heavy snow until spring and that's too long to suffer with subpar performance. I ran it for 600 miles! As I said though, might try another one now that I have the horsepower to turn it.

Scott, that beast is a CAT MT865. It's a 500+ hp ag tractor with 36 inch wide Camoplast tracks. I'll sneak a pic of it in for ya somewhere.

I thought for sure that beast in the background was a "sneak peak" of Doo's new "super secret, change the way we go through the snow, mountain sled technology". Those XPs just keep gaining weight! When will they learn!? Definitely not "flickable". :face-icon-small-sho

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
I used a 3 piece vent set from 2cool air vents. They provide great air flow on the clutch side and will be great for the turbo on the exhaust side. They will allow more exhaust heat to excape and also provide more cold air for the intake.

attachment.php

Everyone knows how well the pro sidehills. Time and time again, I continue to see what it will hold. I have a slope meter app on my phone and have enjoyed actually measuring how steep of slopes I can stick to. What is really impressive with this sled, is that I can stop in the middle of a very steep sidehill, measure the angle, then takeoff and continue the line. The steepest I have measured so far was 53 degrees. This picture measured 45. Curious how much steeper a 163 will hold.

attachment.php

vents.jpg 45 sidehill.jpg

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Time for real horsepower! My turbo of choice comes from BoonDocker. I am very fortunate to work closely with VOHK and that is where my install was done and Erik tuned the sled. This is my second sled with a turbo and they just keep getting better! This is an intercooled setup and I'm currently running around 10.5 pounds of boost. This kit spools up amazingly fast and builds a lot of power. The on/off throttle response of the BoonDocker setup is very beneficial for my style of riding.

attachment.php

attachment.php

turbo.jpg sled 9.jpg

S
Oct 23, 2008
ak/mn
i am jealous for a couple of reasons:

who has that much money?
who has the TIME to do all the mods and ride?

my conclusion, must not be married, LOL

Premium Features