• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Impulse surge tank questions

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
when im start my nytro it idles fine until it settles around the 1800 mark then the afr guage is anywhere from 10.0 to 12.8 and idles really rough.
I have found out that when i just turn the key on it sounds like the surge tank pump is starving for fuel. I than will turn the key off and sounds like some weird noise coming from the intercooler. I have plenty of gas in the main tank. I do know when its idling I can here the surge tank making weird sqealing type noises once in awhile. Any help would be great.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
With the surge tank you have 2 fuel pumps on your sled. One is on the surge tank, the other is on your fuel tank. When you turn the power on with the key (not starting the engine) make sure you can hear both fuel pumps cycle. You may have to take your seat off to hear the one on the fuel tank.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
They both cycle, just sounds like the pump on the surge tank is starving. Ill take a closer look

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Did you do the install? What is your fuel pressure sitting at when idling?

when im start my nytro it idles fine until it settles around the 1800 mark then the afr guage is anywhere from 10.0 to 12.8 and idles really rough.
I have found out that when i just turn the key on it sounds like the surge tank pump is starving for fuel. I than will turn the key off and sounds like some weird noise coming from the intercooler. I have plenty of gas in the main tank. I do know when its idling I can here the surge tank making weird sqealing type noises once in awhile. Any help would be great.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I bought the sled from another guy who did the install. There was no problems until I sent the ecu to paul for the newest update. I need to get a fuel pressure guage and check all lines again. It ran perfect before I sent out the ecu. I did figure out the surge tank pump already. May have had air in the system? Just have a rough idle and now had a code 14 so hopefully just a line came off.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
I have checked everything possible. Before i sent the ecu off it ran perfectly for me and the previous owner who put on 300 trouble free miles. could it be an error in the program possibly? I have also unhooked the TORS just to be sure that was not the problem.

A

allanhanes

Oct 22, 2008
Canada
I have checked everything possible. Before i sent the ecu off it ran perfectly for me and the previous owner who put on 300 trouble free miles. could it be an error in the program possibly? I have also unhooked the TORS just to be sure that was not the problem.

Just ran into a similar problem and found a kinked fuel line mine was running out of fuel as i would climb. was the line from the fuel tank to surge tank. I also have and externally mounted rear pump. thought i would just throw that out there.

C
Dec 5, 2011
Camas, WA
Surge Tank Problem

I had my ECU sent into Paul to update program. Machine was running fine before sending ECU in. I was running innovate system then elimating it for running the AEM A/F ratio gauge sytem tied in with ECU. After getting it back engine wouldn't start. Had to pull plugs put fuel down combustion chamber, then machine started and ran fine. To make a long story short programming error for cold initial start up. Sent ECU back to Paul and with the excellent service you get from him fixed program and no other problems. Could be a programming error, good luck.

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
well just got back from working in the shop and figured my idling problem. I had paul email me the install directions and im glad he had in there "make sure you have the tps grounded to battery". The tps was not grounded at all, i made a ground wire with an alligator clip and sure enough hook it to the ground and idled smooth as butter, unhooked it and rough as could be. Everything is great there other than if i stab the throttle it kills the engine. Must have to fine tune the regulator more? I do have a pressure guage coming to hopefully that will solve that problem too.

H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
Sounds like you're getting there. Impulse makes a pretty good system but the fuel system needs help. Too much clutter. Fuel tank, OEM fuel pump, surge tank, another fuel pump.

T

TApeX_07

I had my ECU sent into Paul to update program. Machine was running fine before sending ECU in. I was running innovate system then elimating it for running the AEM A/F ratio gauge sytem tied in with ECU. After getting it back engine wouldn't start. Had to pull plugs put fuel down combustion chamber, then machine started and ran fine. To make a long story short programming error for cold initial start up. Sent ECU back to Paul and with the excellent service you get from him fixed program and no other problems. Could be a programming error, good luck.

This is EXACTLY what mine is doing. It will only start with a squirt of staring fluid and has a tough time idling... I better call Paul in the am.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Sounds like you're getting there. Impulse makes a pretty good system but the fuel system needs help. Too much clutter. Fuel tank, OEM fuel pump, surge tank, another fuel pump.

You dont get it!!! This is one of the best features with Impulse. Always enough fuel to the engine and you will never starve the engine for fuel. I run the same setup on my track car. Bullet proof fuel supply!!

H
Nov 10, 2009
Denver
You dont get it!!! This is one of the best features with Impulse. Always enough fuel to the engine and you will never starve the engine for fuel. I run the same setup on my track car. Bullet proof fuel supply!!

I think I do get it. If a fuel cell is properly designed there is no need for a surge tank and you definitely can get by with only one pump. Impulse needs what it has because of the fuel tank design.

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
id rather have 2 pumps . more than once ive seen a pump fail . with 2 pumps you can rig something to get off the mountain . it was the diffrence between a 1200$ chopper bill or getting to ride out for me :face-icon-small-sho

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
id rather have 2 pumps . more than once ive seen a pump fail . with 2 pumps you can rig something to get off the mountain . it was the diffrence between a 1200$ chopper bill or getting to ride out for me :face-icon-small-sho

I'd rather carry a spare pump in my backpack.

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Paul built the surge tank to ensure there would be a constant pressurized fuel source of 0.7 gallons at all times (except if the sled is run completely out of fuel). The system was a trade off in my opinion. He built the 9.3 gallon fuel cell to replace the stock tank due to the location of the turbo. He did not want to have any safety issues trying to fit the stock tank up against that hot turbo exhaust. IMO there was no way to deliver fuel like the stock tank would with his fuel cell, not without severely limiting the fuel carrying capacity. Paul could have built a fuel cell that had slopes in it to funnel fuel down to a central point where the fuel pick up could be located but you would lose significant capacity. Theoretically if his 9.3 gallon cell (2148 cubic inches) was 8 in x 7 in x 38.5 in and you left 6 inches in the middle of the tank for fuel pick up and you built slopes at 21.70 degrees (not enough IMO) to always ensure fuel for the pump to pick up you would lose 45% capacity and would be down to 5.1 gallons. The 21.69 degree angle is assuming you built the slope from the base on each side of the 6 inch space at the middle of the tank up to the corners of the tank.

Due to the design (long and flat) of the 9.3 gallon cell Paul had to figure a way that the fuel would be delivered if the sled was pointing downhill. With the location of the stock pump in his cell (at the rear) no fuel would be picked up if the sled was facing downhill for an extended period of time with low fuel in the tank or if the fuel was close to running out (this is assuming no fuel is being picked up by the front feeder hose because the fuel level is to low). With the system he built the stock pump constantly feeds fuel to the surge tank where it is kept under a constant pressure and full ensuring you always have a 0.7 gallon supply of fuel (unless like I said you run out of fuel completely).

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Paul built the surge tank to ensure there would be a constant pressurized fuel source of 0.7 gallons at all times (except if the sled is run completely out of fuel). The system was a trade off in my opinion. He built the 9.3 gallon fuel cell to replace the stock tank due to the location of the turbo. He did not want to have any safety issues trying to fit the stock tank up against that hot turbo exhaust. IMO there was no way to deliver fuel like the stock tank would with his fuel cell, not without severely limiting the fuel carrying capacity. Paul could have built a fuel cell that had slopes in it to funnel fuel down to a central point where the fuel pick up could be located but you would lose significant capacity. Theoretically if his 9.3 gallon cell (2148 cubic inches) was 8 in x 7 in x 38.5 in and you left 6 inches in the middle of the tank for fuel pick up and you built slopes at 21.70 degrees (not enough IMO) to always ensure fuel for the pump to pick up you would lose 45% capacity and would be down to 5.1 gallons. The 21.69 degree angle is assuming you built the slope from the base on each side of the 6 inch space at the middle of the tank up to the corners of the tank.

Due to the design (long and flat) of the 9.3 gallon cell Paul had to figure a way that the fuel would be delivered if the sled was pointing downhill. With the location of the stock pump in his cell (at the rear) no fuel would be picked up if the sled was facing downhill for an extended period of time with low fuel in the tank or if the fuel was close to running out (this is assuming no fuel is being picked up by the front feeder hose because the fuel level is to low). With the system he built the stock pump constantly feeds fuel to the surge tank where it is kept under a constant pressure and full ensuring you always have a 0.7 gallon supply of fuel (unless like I said you run out of fuel completely).

So, with this system, if the fuel tank is getting low (say less than 1/3 full) and you go down a long steep incline, will the tank fuel pump (which is mounted in the rear) be running dry?

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
I don't know the exact layout of the baffles in the tank but I am assuming their design would prohibit this in most instances.
So, with this system, if the fuel tank is getting low (say less than 1/3 full) and you go down a long steep incline, will the tank fuel pump (which is mounted in the rear) be running dry?

Last edited:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
It would be easy enough to see what the baffling is like by pulling the fuel pump out and having a peek inside.

Premium Features