• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mtn Tamer, Ezride or stock?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
TIMBERSLED

Jonas,
I've had the Timbersled Mountain Tamer Suspension in my last two sleds, equipped with both the standard Float and Float-X w/DSC... This changed my sled and it's handling night and day...It gets my sled on top of the snow and keeps it there... I was able to adjust it from full playful mode where I could wheelie at will.... to keeping the skis glued to the hill while the sled still was able to remain compliant as the terrain comes up.

The Fox Shocks are stellar in this latest generation calibration.

With the Fox Float shocks, multiple adjustment positions, and shock settings... you can make this thing do whatever you want.

I had the same experience on the PRO RMK with the Timbersled skid installed. It took what was already the best "Out of the Box" stock sled to the Next Level in control and adjustability which is what it seems you are looking for.

I am jazzed about this skid and it shows in the posts I've made in the past. I like the product and the customer support I've had.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you are wanting more ski lift, avoid the Timbersled suspension. It is coupled and mechanically works to reduce ski lift (ideal for boosted sleds). That said, I believe it is a wonderful suspension. I had it on my Turbo Nytro and loved it. Have not ridden a pro with one installed though.

I agree with you to a certain degree.... AND that is what I like about the Mountain Tamer

IMO... You have complete control over the skid with the different adjustments available ... remove/add the shims... let out some air pressure and you can make it in a wheelie machine OR... Adjust the setup quickly to keep the front end down (even on a race-gas turbo pulling a super steep chute)

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Seems like these threads always turn into people selling products for other companies. Fbomb drops the same photo and talk about Fox, Mtnhorse drops the same stuff about timbersled. Let's hear some OBJECTIVE opinions maybe?

I sell plenty of great products for sleds but I don't feel the need to turn every thread into a sales pitch for the companies whom I benefit from.

Has anyone ridden all of the 3 major skid upgrades in a Pro that can give some real world feedback that you do not stand to gain from?

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
10 mins to read thread....useless. Dan Gardiner on a 2011 Pro-T...refreshing to see some gopro footage from somebody that can actually ride.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
f bomb and mh it seems you have these pros figured out.
maybe if you or anyone else wouldn't mind you could help me? i have a rmk assault that the front is planted to much for my style of riding, i don't use this sled for the steep and deep so trenching and ski lift on steep climbs isn't an issue. i have slackened the rear shock and tightened the front track shock both a few turns, i have tightened the ski shocks a few turns as well, these adjustments lighten the ski pressure as well as make the sled lay over very easy which is great but do you think the skis will rise off the snow more than four inches...NO WAY. any setup thoughts? thinking about studs for this assault track, how many and what size?
thanks

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
So IQRDR you are critical of my work and state to be some kind of professional. What do you have to help?

Let's see....I recommended that he try some FREE and simple techniques to improve his system or change it to the style of ride that he is hoping to get as is. THEN I RECOMMENDED A PROVEN AND BETTER WAY INCLUDING HOW MUCH HE WILL HAVE TO SPEND. PROVEN THROUGH MY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE FROM ACTUALLY TESTING THE COMPLETE GROUP OF CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AND PROVEN POSSIBILITIES OF PRODUCTS. I don't sell FOX shox or anything other product that has been discussed in this thread. I recommend products that I personally use and have taken the time and invested the money to professionally test. That way I KNOW that they are elite and proven to be a benefit when I put my reputation and name out for advice to the 20,000 plus sledders that I come in contact with annually.

Also note answered LAPPI's 3-4 question on FOX shocks with my post. Nothing to do you with you are anyone else. I'm pretty sure he appreciates the info even though you don't see any value in it!

tomlee..the switch back is completely different and there is no cross reference of performance between the two suspensions. I've installed and spent adequate test time on four different shock combinations of the factory coil spring system but not in the new SB chassis so I don't think I offer a truly professional and experienced view point for your situation.

live to ride...once again totally not my area of expertise as we are riding this chassis in a total mtn free ride environment. Loose packed western access trails only 15 % of the complete miles ran of my about 2500 on this chassis. Your question and comments are kind of confusing as well. You sound like your on a trail situation (stud reference) but want more ski lift? Post up some more info and then we can all discuss it.

L
Feb 13, 2010
nl, canada
thank you fbomb, i really appreciate your response. part of my dilemma stems from the fact i have to travel 500 miles to get on the snow so spending time adjusting your sled with your buds wanting to ride is not easy:face-icon-small-dis. to reach the play areas is the only trail riding we do, the studs would be for spring riding when some of the climbs goes from snow to ice quickly. i am very pleased with how the sled carves, side hills and lays over with the set up i have now, in all snow conditions. i have had seat time on an 09 assault with the same track ony 146'' and you could wheelie that for fun in any snow condition but this 155 ''feels'' light in the front with very little ski pressure, it feels like the front would/should point to the sky but lifts about 3-4'' and hits a wall in all types of snow. i don't want to ride on the rear bumper but i would like to be able to lift the skis up for jumping drift to drift and jumping 2' brooks and such, i weigh 220lb and have had many years on a variety of sleds and usually the problem is trying to keep the skis DOWN, also i have had the chance to do some decent steep climbs on this sled and the skis stay planted even when stood back on the boards, any thoughts?thanks

T

tomlee76

Nov 30, 2007
Bedford NH
F Bomb-thanks for the honest imput. Don't let these other blows give you a hard time and ruin it for the rest of us. I'm jealous that you get to make some money doing something you love-it only costs the rest of us money. Got your boards on my brother in laws Xfire-they are great. We got a set for my 09 SB with the bars but they were not the right ones and the sled is now gone-well almost gone so we need to swap them out for what is going to be around for next year. I left you a message at the shop but understand you are busy playing and trying to make the sale on here (Joking here in case you can't tell-I'm in no rush). just let me know if there is anything we can do to swap out for something we will use. Keep up the good work-your product works mint and will be on my SB for next year-provided you make them. If you don't get working.

WyoPro

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
Laramie, WY
thank you fbomb, i really appreciate your response. part of my dilemma stems from the fact i have to travel 500 miles to get on the snow so spending time adjusting your sled with your buds wanting to ride is not easy:face-icon-small-dis. to reach the play areas is the only trail riding we do, the studs would be for spring riding when some of the climbs goes from snow to ice quickly. i am very pleased with how the sled carves, side hills and lays over with the set up i have now, in all snow conditions. i have had seat time on an 09 assault with the same track ony 146'' and you could wheelie that for fun in any snow condition but this 155 ''feels'' light in the front with very little ski pressure, it feels like the front would/should point to the sky but lifts about 3-4'' and hits a wall in all types of snow. i don't want to ride on the rear bumper but i would like to be able to lift the skis up for jumping drift to drift and jumping 2' brooks and such, i weigh 220lb and have had many years on a variety of sleds and usually the problem is trying to keep the skis DOWN, also i have had the chance to do some decent steep climbs on this sled and the skis stay planted even when stood back on the boards, any thoughts?thanks

This just goes to show how much suspension actually affects the ride and handling of the Pro! A while back (and still) a guy was complaining about the exact opposite, said he couldn't keep the front down. On my 55 Assault, my front is set up at 3 turns tension on the spring. When the snow gets harder that will probably increase to 5-8 or somewhere in there. Clickers around 10-12 or something, don't remember where I left them last. On the ski my front track shock is pretty loose, I believe there are only 3-4 threads showing, rear shock was set at recomended spring length per manual and then adjusted from there. We ride mostly at 9-12K so it's hard to say what this setup might do closer to sea level, you're in BC right? 3-5K? Anyways I've found that it's a pretty good combination of transfer for playing around but yet does real well at staying on top of the snow too...Front skid mount is in the stock Assault location, lower hole.

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
So IQRDR you are critical of my work and state to be some kind of professional. What do you have to help?

Where in my post did I criticize your work? Criticize your products? Nowhere did I do that. I simply stated my opinion which I am entitled to like all others.

I am "some kind of professional," yes. As in I own the largest independent repair and performance shop in Alaska.

It may have come off slightly rude, I was having a long day, I'll admit to that. Otherwise, thanks for your sometimes helpful contributions to this site. Carry on

H
Dec 4, 2007
NW
That is the idea behind this Performance Partner Sled. It's not only a test bed for new aftermarket parts but also a vehicle that premium customers of these product providing companies can actually sample in the field.

Carl's provides the vehicle and clutching kit, Snowmobile Better Boards takes care of traction, strength, and enhanced snow clearing, Fox did the shocks, FLY did the bars, HPS did the can, Power Addiction did the head, Holz did the front suspension, ArcticFX did the vinyl, and finally Edge Works did the rear bumper. I set it all up to my preferences and ride the heck out of it. Along the way about 30,000 trade show goers, a few expert internet jockeys:D, and several hundred interested test riders get to try it out.

Let's see....I recommended that he try some FREE and simple techniques to improve his system or change it to the style of ride that he is hoping to get as is. THEN I RECOMMENDED A PROVEN AND BETTER WAY INCLUDING HOW MUCH HE WILL HAVE TO SPEND. PROVEN THROUGH MY PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE FROM ACTUALLY TESTING THE COMPLETE GROUP OF CURRENTLY AVAILABLE AND PROVEN POSSIBILITIES OF PRODUCTS. I don't sell FOX shox or anything other product that has been discussed in this thread. I recommend products that I personally use and have taken the time and invested the money to professionally test. That way I KNOW that they are elite and proven to be a benefit when I put my reputation and name out for advice to the 20,000 plus sledders that I come in contact with annually.

Fbomb, so are you sponsored by Fox or Carl's? One sentence you say the sled and stuff is given to you another you say you invested the money into them. No offense but I think IQRDR is correct in that you just push the product you are sponsored by which I totally understand. But have you really ridden a Pro with a Timbersled, a Pro with a Ezryde, a Pro with a Kmod, a Pro with Zbroz. I did add a couple other options since these also seem to be very popular options.

BTW, did you ever ride your sled stock? In the member builds section you said you pulled the sled out of the crate, signed with fox, and added the worlds first fox package to the sled.

I think your fox/carls setup is probably great but I also think there are quite a few better setups. I bet the zbroz setup is just as good as your fox setup. If you fairly tested something in a non biased setting you show pictures of your sled with other products on it. Also I thought you were a big Holz supporter, have you ran their Walker Evans upgrade package which is supposed to be a good alternative.

Back to the subject, IMHO, I like the fox evols on the front. I have the stock Pro skid but I really miss the timbersled I had in my IQ. I feel it performs significantly better than the stock Pro skid for a number reason (trenching, ride quality, climbing in powder, climbing in rutted up hills, sidehilling, etc). I may not be an "Extreme" rider but I prefer having a awesome suspension to reduce the wear and tear on my body. My purchase for the Pro this summer will be a Fox equipped Timbersled.

Last edited:
Premium Features