• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1990 Safari LXE

N
Nov 12, 2008
West Branch, Mi
In the process of rebuilding the Safari LXE, my very first snowmobile from long ago. Whats all out there for these sleds/engines? I'll be honest I've grown to be more of a polaris guy but believe that each manufacture has its benefits. Is there much out there to upgrade the 440 fan with? It's just a sled my little brother is learning to ride on but id like to spruce it up a little because I have a hard time "leaving well enough alone". It needs better clutching and a new top end for sure. Possible skis and track for some better maneuverability. What kind of clutching and gearing would you ski-doo guys recommend for someone ridding around the 900ft range. I know its an older sled but im kinda in the dark with whats out there for them. but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nolan

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I don't know what clutch setup was stock on yours, but we fixed up an old '86 470 Mx a few yrs back and clutching was a major concern of mine.

I found that the taper on the PTO was the same as some other newer (not current) motor and I bought a clutch from one of them. Got a set-up kit from Big John for it as well. I am sure that we had a newer secondary on it as well.

I tossed the motor in that two yrs ago and we have scrapped out most of the machine at this point, but I have kept some of the usable/sellable parts from it. If you are interested in the clutches, let me know. I am sure these are of the same chassis.

BlowedPiston.jpg

Premium Features