• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SNOWEST FORUMS: Moving Foward into 2010!!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Boy what haven't you done.:D Seeing you around here a lot tells me the time and dedication you are putting in and the pride (hopefully) you will get out of this adventure. You seem like a good guy to be around and THANK YOU for your service and all you are doing here.
For the last week I have been "ON" the forums not less than 12 hours a day, and often times closer to 16 hours.

Having done this before I knew what I was in for.
The end result will be WELL WORTH the time and effort put in though.

I am just as much a SnoWest Enthusiast as anyone else on this forum, so I have a strong personal interest in seeing this place really excel.

undergroundrmk

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Craig, Colorado
Don't know if it was mentioned but easier picture downloading would be good too! In the large format so you don't have to click it! Photo bucket isn't bad but some people don't like to use it! Sounds like you are working on some cool stuff though! Thanks Jim

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Don't know if it was mentioned but easier picture downloading would be good too! In the large format so you don't have to click it! Photo bucket isn't bad but some people don't like to use it! Sounds like you are working on some cool stuff though! Thanks Jim

Don't like photobucket? Neither do I. That's why I host my own :)

Photobucket/Smugmug/Tinypic... hell, even fecesbook... if you don't want to host your own, those are about as easy as it gets.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We will have our own internal photo hosting right here on SnoWest for you.

Just hang in there while we start getting Mods installed next week.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
its always good when someone has the expertise and devotes them to a cause so others can prosper

Thank you

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I am by no means an expert rider.
Far from it.
I love riding, but I still have a PILE to learn, and just need more hours in the saddle.

God Willing and with enough snow, I will ride more this year than ever before.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Christopher,
July 2001 was a major upgrade, but certainly not the beginning. I joined in Feb 2001 just after another major upgrade, but I am pretty certain that the SW 4Ms have been around since 1999 or early 2000. Back then, there was a loyal 200 everyday users who had some serious withdrawals in July 2001 when it was off the air for a week. Life sort of ceased to exist for a bit, but we recovered.

Changes in life are a necessity, although most of us do not like change. Be gentle with us. You will have to write clear, concise, and not necessarily short explanations for us users to grasp the changes and how to overcome them. You have done a lot to get us to read about these changes, but I know you will hear a ton of complaints. Just take it easy and know that it has been a long summer and we are all itching to get on our sleds so we are not always as nice as we should be, me included.

So welcome, you have a tough job to fill and I doubt they pay you enough for the grief you will endure.

BTW, why does SW not like the word Py-thon without the dash?

Pam

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There is a forum set up just for explanations of what each modification does and how to use it.

Problem is, most people don't take the time to read it.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Dear SnoWest Forums member:

The SnoWest online forums were created back in July of 2001, and since then have gone through several upgrades, the most recent of which was about 2 years ago when they moved the entire forum over to a new software program called "vBulletin". Since making that transition the forums have grown rapidly to 33,000 members, of which more than 7,500 were actively on the forums in August, with over 110,000 threads and nearly 1.5 million posts! Those numbers make the SnoWest Forums one of the most active Snowmobile destinations on the entire Internet!

Back in 1998-99, alot of us posted in a small board that was called something like "sled brand comments" or something like that. It wasn't really a login type forum, but a place where we could post user comments under specific brands and models.
Eventually the board got very crowded and that was closed. We began using a pretty antiquated message board software that was part of Fusetalk. It lasted about 2 years and took a dirt nap.
There were only a few hundred of us on here then.
In July of 2001 Fusetalk (Coldfusion) was drastically upgraded to the format that was used until Nov 2007.

:)

Last edited:
K
Nov 26, 2007
PugetSound
I have been here for about 12yrs (started surfing SW when I got myself out of college and a full time desk job). I recall the old board where logins weren't the norm that Scott referenced.

I read lots, post when I have something to add where I feel others haven't covered the points fully by the time I get home. (Having a new kid in '07 slowed me down a bit) I don't post from work nor login (work rules that I try to follow). Your Changes have fragmented out the vast knowledge base so far that I can't keep up so I have quit visiting big chunks of the forum. Sure there are brand/model specifics that are helped by chopping things up but there is a lot more to learn if all those problems are being solved side by side and I can grab a Polaris solution to a similar problem that I am having on my Yamaha or one of my buddies is having with the Doo they ride.

I frequent several forums - boats, sleds, garages, woodworking, home improvement and this was once the best forum to get all things snowmobile, now I just google things for sleds and if snowest is the search result that I like I use it or I go elsewhere.

Things change and I get that but frankly you are adding crap not content. Value comes from content not user ratings, chatbox that lives on every flipping screen, silly bar graphs, and "thanks" that eat up lines of screen. I want content and that comes from users, and the knowlege they bring the other fluff takes away from content.

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Well said KWB. I'm finding myself more and more on a diesel forum since the change. I understand there's a learning curve and it takes time time to adjust but this format is just more clutter. I've been through 2 major changes on SW and after a few days I was well adjusted. This has been at least 2 weeks and it still sucks. Way to segmented. My .02

Premium Features