• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Floor Coating

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got a new trailer bought, gonna go pick it up sometime in the next few weeks. First thing I want to do it get the floor and bottom couple feet of the walls painted and then do some mateflex or similar flooring over the top of that. The floor is drymax plywood, any one ever paint it with any luck or have recommendations on how to go about it? Just assuming the floor is “waxy” and regular paint wont stick very well.. but no idea honestly. Any feed back would be good. I probably dont really need to paint it for any reason but I think it would look nice and seal it up even better. I DID see the thread comparing mateflex and some other brands and there is some good info in there.

Thanks

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
When I got my trailer it had a plastic diamond plate looking sheeting on it. About two trips over that and it started detaching from the waxy ply wood. The glue is still all over it and actually kind of keeps my feet from slipping. I tore out all the flooring but left the six inch strip around the base board, however now that has constricted and is pulling itself out of the corners.
Takeaway, don't use a plastic liner

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Went with an oil based stain block primer and oil based enamel over that based on the recommendation from a lady working at Lowes. Looks good.

Ordered Racedeck flooring off amazon, it was considerably cheaper than mateflex and swisstrax, so I went with it.

Been taking pictures along the way, I will post them up when all is finished.

Sledhed2012

Lifetime Membership
Sep 5, 2016
River Falls,WI
Has anyone ever used a product called G-floor? Its a roll out 55 mil thick rubber flooring. You can trim to fit along the sides and tape the ends if needed. Can also grt transition strips if you need a longer length. Would it hold up to carbides?
Thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Got wrapped up with some stuff on the trailer tonight, paint is done, racedeck is down, and grip glides and track grabbers are installed.

Here is the enamel I used-
f0a57a2e9b20bb3d99deef73866d9307.jpg

I pressure washed the inside of the trailer then scrubbed it with TSP.

Took about 2 gallons of primer and 2.5 gallons/2 coats of the enamel. $100 or so.

Before (poor pic)-
6eaf9f591ecff2a4b9ab8672e1998fff.jpg

Primer-
cd7ad7006e444f100349ba437d52dbcf.jpg

Enamel-
1f85b5023a9db101c532aadccbf6fd1b.jpg

Racedeck installed-
562077445a7d0c09f278ec770dc72034.jpg

Finished product-
b384b5a08a1e6db4c210bc6e3246c750.jpg

Install went really smooth, I think a trailer could be done in a couple hours the second time around. I used a circular saw for the cuts, it worked fine, but I would try to get a table saw if I were to redo it, it would just speed things up and the cuts would be nicer.

Im pretty happy with how it came out. Everything looks really good, hopefully it all holds up well. A little worried about the leading edge of the Racedeck getting destroyed by carbides.

It took 4 boxes of 48 tiles, they were $129 a box.

If anyone has any questions I’d be glad to answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L
May 15, 2009
Nice looking flooring in your trailer and have a quick question for you. I don't see holes in the flooring for tying sleds down, how do you tie them down?
Thanks

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Nice looking flooring in your trailer and have a quick question for you. I don't see holes in the flooring for tying sleds down, how do you tie them down?
Thanks

We have never tied sleds down. Right, wrong, or otherwise we just have never seen the need to.

There are hooks under the racedeck that I did plan to cut out, but after practicing cutting a few holes with a jigsaw I wasn’t happy with the results.

I plan to haul my side by side some and definitely do want to tie that down. My current plan is to add e track along the botton edge of the walls for dual purpose as a tie down location and kickplate.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Goridedoo,

How is this stuff working out for you? I am thinking about using the same stuff.
How about your swisstrax?

Thanks!!

Mike
Great. Seems to be holding up well so far. No problems with peeling or anything like that.

The Racedeck (I think that's the brand I went with, it was considerably cheaper than Swisstrax) is holding up well too. No complaints. If a tile happens to get broke or messed up they are easy to replace. Don't expect it to be invincible to carbides, you can see little groves/scuffs where you've driven if you look close, but I think it will last the life of the trailer with the exception of having to occasionally replace a tile on the leading edge of the loading doors.

I get lots of compliments on how it looks.

Should add value whenever I decide to sell.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I see costco has MotoFloor on sale through the end of the day... 1’x1’x 3/4”. 40 in a box, $90 shipped... seems dirt cheap. Looks like decent stuff too. Black or Gray

IFlyEm

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 1, 2008
Temecula, CA
Great. Seems to be holding up well so far. No problems with peeling or anything like that.

The Racedeck (I think that's the brand I went with, it was considerably cheaper than Swisstrax) is holding up well too. No complaints. If a tile happens to get broke or messed up they are easy to replace. Don't expect it to be invincible to carbides, you can see little groves/scuffs where you've driven if you look close, but I think it will last the life of the trailer with the exception of having to occasionally replace a tile on the leading edge of the loading doors.

Should add value whenever I decide to sell.

Awesome! Thanks for the info! How glossy is your floor with the enamel?

B
Nov 6, 2021
United kingdom

Should add value whenever I decide to sell. epoxy flooring orlando
I been looking for flooring in my new trailer..whats everyones preference..good or bad..I like diamond plate but expensive and I heard slippery..I painted the last one..went bad really fast!

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
check out PUMA coating. it’s what they using in parking garages and decks on condos. Flexible. Water proof. Two years in and resistant to carbides.

it’s not cheap but so far the best thing I’ve seen.

Premium Features