• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Repairing/leveling off trailer floor marine plywood before adding new plywood layer?

A
Oct 29, 2016
Just got a used enclosed trailer and when I removed the top protective layer of plywood from the original marine grade floor to put fresh wood down, there was one bad wet spot where over the years (7)... gas, oil, and water had made their way in to an unprotected seam between the layers.

I put the dehumidifier and a heater in the trailer for a couple days and then used a brush to work any loose fibers off the marine plywood. Structurally, the wood is fine, however the surface is not level after working the affected layer away... What are my options for filling the surface void? The area is probably about 2ft x 1ft, and averages about 1/8" deep. It is a rough surface (just scrubbed off what was loose enough to let go).

I'll be placing another layer of wood over this base, but I want to ensure the low spot is dealt with so that there's nowhere for any runoff water to set up between the boards.

I don't intend on letting anything get down there, but should something work it's way between the boards: I need something that'll stand up to the potential water, salt, oil, gasoline, and have the flexibility needed to coexist with the wood I'm applying it to.

I would like to seal the original floor, and the top layer of plywood when I'm all done. I'm looking towards Thompsons Waterseal for that, but open to better options.

I'm Located in Canada BTW

Last edited:
Premium Features