• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fuel Filter Upgrade

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
N
Jan 23, 2008
Fargo, ND
10 micron filters

Note that most of those are PAPER elements. If it's on the low-pressure side (suck side), then it's fine. If on the pressure side, it will blow out and you'll have to only use the stainess 40 micron elements. Not sure if this is the low or high pressure line, so just an observation.

Also, you might want to consider PTFE fuel line, if you can get fittings for it. More $, but might be worth it. And works with ALL fuels, even straight ethanol.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Paper elements used since the beginning all the CFI sleds... on the pressure side of the system.

In fact..outside of the tank...there are only pressure lines.

All my GM Cars, ford trucks etc.... Paper filters on the pressure side of the pump.

The CFI system runs at 58PSI.

Canton Racing, Aeromotive, FueLab, Morroso, Mallory, Wix, Baldwin... and more... run cellulose (paper) filters in their EFI pressurized filters with gas.

The hose that Phil chose is top notch quality... SAE-30R9 spec...low permeability... compatible with even E-85 (85% ethanol).

The PTFE line is nice stuff... I think the factory hoses are PTFE lined...

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
How fast were they plugging up?

Some food for thought

The stock filters are pretty fine at 10 micron compared to the SS mesh at 40micron...

It's possible you are passing a lot more of what you were catching in the stocker??

Thoughts?

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
You could see that the glue was being eaten away then the filter element would wad up inside the housing. Would happen after a season. Ill cut my filter open tonight and see if it has done it yet or not.

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
From what I've be able to find (but not confirmed) is 200psi. I have been in contact with the manufacturer to get confirmation of this.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Lorne,

I'd ask them specifically if it is rated for use in fuel injection systems.

Another concern is the physical size of the filter element itself... how does that compare to the size of the stock filter element?

Last edited:

Merlin

Lifetime Membership
Oct 7, 2004
Medicine Hat, AB
I noticed those on the web the other day too..........made by Golan Products: http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html

They definitely look to be high quality but I'm not sure about the holding capacity of the actual element itself being that it is flat rather than cylindrical like most filters................It may not be an issue anyway providing you don't make a habit of throwing a handfull of dirt into the fuel tank at each fill??? :face-icon-small-win

Certainly one of the fuel smaller filter options out there that provide adequate level of filtration for fuel injection systems though..............

Took some searching but found this option for a filter......
http://www.dragspecialties.com/products/?productId=121544

Lorne,

I'd ask them specifically if it is rated for use in fuel injection systems.

Another concern is the physical size of the filter element itself... how does that compare to the size of the stock filter element?

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
Lorne...what is the pressure rating on those?

MH - email I received back stated filters are good for 150-200 psi, and yes they are intended for EFI application. Searching the web there was a short coming early on as they used a flat rubber washer which dissolved when in contact with gas.
Units with a proper oring were fine or simply change out the defective oring for a proper one 1/16" dia, OD of 1 3/16", ID of 1/16."

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
does that use a stainless screen instead of paper? 22 bux for a replacement is about the same as going the dragon route. and on e bay i found a wide variety of the sreen type that look better for more or less the same price, i bought one for 24 but decided not to use it and went the dragon route.

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
does that use a stainless screen instead of paper? 22 bux for a replacement is about the same as going the dragon route. and on e bay i found a wide variety of the sreen type that look better for more or less the same price, i bought one for 24 but decided not to use it and went the dragon route.

Yes it is SS, a replacement would not be required as you can clean the filter and simply put back in.

Premium Features