• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What's your post delivery inspection & prep process?

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
For you guys that got Pro's last year or have taken delivery of your 2012s...what's your process for inspecting and prepping your new sled?

I know some guys tear them down for heavy modification while others will just stare at theirs until the snow flies...

I'm primarily asking for recommendations on what to inspect to avoid the easily avoidable problems. While I'm 99% confident I'll be getting a trouble free machine it's still a machine, built by humans.

My plan is to do the following--(in no particular order)

-Buy a service manual and read it
-Pull the exhaust and inspect fittings and connections, silicone springs (I hate buzzy noise)
-Verify my oil setting (thanks to the very informative thread on this topic)
-Inspect all the screws, bolts, clamps etc., that I can see and reach
-Pull the secondary and send it to IndyDan for balancing
-Check the skid/track tension and alignment
-Check/adjust the ski stance
-Install accessories/boards
-Pace around garage waiting for secondary to come back
-Reinstall secondary and check alignment and belt deflection
-Stare at sled/drink beer/pray for an early dump
-Invite friends over and gloat

Am I missing anything important?

icerider600

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
Castlewood SD
Ok I love that list you have, but my favorite part is
-Stare at sled/drink beer/pray for an early dump
-Invite friends over and gloat

LMAO:becky::becky::becky:

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Just picked up my Pro, great post. Are the stock boards really that bad? What are you going to install? What do you mean by "silicone springs"? Are all of the secondaries so bad that you must balance? Does that effect warranty?
Thx.

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
Just picked up my Pro, great post. Are the stock boards really that bad? What are you going to install? What do you mean by "silicone springs"? Are all of the secondaries so bad that you must balance? Does that effect warranty?
Thx.

If you put a bead of high temp silicone (the orange stuff works good) on each of the exhaust springs, it will dampen the normal buzzing that occurs on all sleds. It will make your springs last longer.

S

skippy

Nov 27, 2007
-Pull the secondary and send it to IndyDan for balancing

I think you mean primary clutch! Really know need to balance your secondary clutch... Highly recommend sending your primary out to get balanced before you put any miles on sled, it's cheaper when it's at it's cleanest point.... It will be the first thing I do when I pick mine up on Friday..

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Go over wiring, from the switches under the console on a pro, front to back. They were bad to terrible on the pros last year. Lots of loom, zips, di-electric grease, etc. may be needed. Make sure all connections are clicked, e.g., ECU's last year, many were not tight.

Confirm your oil line to the pump isn't rubbing on the bulkhead, and no air bubbles.

Check primary/secondary torque, among others. Others will also check the torque of the spider based on a few experiences last year. Exploded primaries were blamed on spider torque last year.

Reroute or understand that the VES selonoid hose will make a mess somewhere, if you don't block it first.

Just some other things to consider relative to the pro...

allied1

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
SE ND
Coolant bottle

Zip tie your coolant bottle to the frame tube for extra protection. Not sure if Polaris fixed the flimsy rivet mount on the 12's. If this breaks, it will cause you grief.

Premium Features