• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Marks on primary clutch

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Had a funny noise could feel a knocking with my foot on the clutch side at about the speed as the clutch turns, thought that something had happened to the drive shaft. after inspection I could not find a thing, but still had a funny vibration that went away after a mile or so. After getting home and taking another look I fond these marks on the primary clutch they cover about 1/3 of the inner face, Any Ideas what might cause this? and the belt looks just fine.

13 pro clutch 001.jpg

Zrider

Lifetime Membership
May 7, 2003
Sparks, NV
Are those black marks(like your belt would leave) or are they abrasions imbedded on the clutch face? Can't really tell from your pic.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Their was a slight scratch that was easy to get out, yes the marks
Are from the belt , just never had marks that high up on the clutch
Face before, its as if something caused the belt to ride higher up.
Have removed both clutches for an inspection and found nothing wrong
still do not know what caused the the knock, the clutches would have been
warm had just finished climbing a small hill and first felt it as I turn around
to head back down, could feel it all the way down, appox 75 yards.
Just thought it was odd for the marks to only be on about 1/3 of the clutch
and that high on the
face. Have run sled on stand and all seems fine,and belt was not wet.

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Check your belt thoroughly to make sure no cords are pulling out.

Sent from my iPad when I should be sledding.

Belt is in good shape, no cords pulling out, I did how ever pull cords on another
belt approx 100 miles back, thinking that something had worked its way into the clutch, possibly a piece of cord from the other belt, thought I had cleaned
everything out.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The reason I said that is cause I`ve seen that before (plenty of times lol) on Cat`s. It was always the secondary getting stuck open a bit and the belt slipping in the primary for a bit.
Imagine the free play in your belt if your secondary didn`t close right on time and the primary opened then you apply throttle and the primary slams shut without a belt holding it back.

Sounds awful as things slam closed then open. On a hard belt this leaves a burn spot you feel through your legs for awhile.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Are you sure you don't have a burn mark on your belt? Did you try a new belt after you cleaned your sheaves? Just a stab in the dark here. :face-icon-small-dis

ENDO1

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2008
Central WA State
Thanks to every one that responded, I am going to check the secondary one more time and the belt looks good, it is a used belt from last year so I will try a new one. The problem seemed to have corrected it self with out me finding any cause for it. I hate it when that happens!

Premium Features