• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long Rod PRO Motor

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
3 Year Top to Bottom Warranty

* ( Long Rod Torque Master 3 ) *

Well its finally here & ready for 2012/2013.

After years of studying the 800 Small Block.
The design problems have been addressed. * ( and Back with a Warranty that proves it. ) *

Nick Named - The LR-TM3 PRO Motor for all 2011,12
*( Long Rod Torque Master 5 ) *
*( There will Also be a LR-TM5 2011 Thru 2013 available ) * Being Polaris as not yet address the rod ratio problem. And their extended warranty is covered by an outside insurance company.......Seems they don't even have confidence in their new CFI2 Motors either. Try and find ( Extend FACTORY Warranty ) Polaris covers a new sled for 1 year. Just think how many 2012's their will be out there with zero miles and zero factory warranty.

The Motor is fully assembled, Case, Crank, Pistons, Cylinder, & Head.
You just add your ignition & fuel system.

It has a Top To Bottom 3 Year warranty, and almost everything is under warranty....Pistons include. Unless they are melted from a lean condition, Detonated or impacted by the exhust valve.

Price - $2500.00 Stock Compression ratio.

Polaris dealers Welcome, ( And Dealer Pricing Available )

This Motor requires a Core return Motor. - Case, Crankshaft, Cylinder, Head, Head cover & all bolts required for assembly.

Cylinder Core Requirements - It does NOT matter if the lower cylinder sleeve extensions are broke, But cylinder must not have any other external damage, Cylinder Plating can be trashed it doesn't matter.

Crankshaft Core Requirement - PTO & MAG - end & center pin must be in perfect condition, center wheels & lower rod pins in perfect condition.

Head Core Requirements - Undamaged ( No dings )

Crankcase Core Requirements - Good bearing bores & No cracks or holes.

There is also a 5 Year warranty LR-TM5 that has no core requirements
other then sending in your motor no matter what the condition but it must be complete with all Nuts & Bolts. NO IGNITION, and NO FUEL SYSTEM.

Dan

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Pretty cool, I'd like to hear how it performs.

But, I'm curious why you think Polaris has no confidence in the CFI2. Yeah it's extended warranty is picked up by another company but this is normal for powersports and auto manufacturers.

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Sounds like an Excellent product warranty Indy Dan. :usa2:

R
Dec 28, 2009
Lynnwood, Wa
I would be curious to hear more about both motor packages you mentioned. Do you have hp numbers, any higher hp options etc.?
Is any of this on a website other than here also?

Thanks!

T

TurboMatt

Mar 23, 2008
I'm assuming you must keep this stock to retain any kind of warranty?
Ie. Can you add pipes, cans, turboes, etc. onto it?

S

Super Sled

Jul 10, 2009
Duluth, MN
I've spoken to Indy Dan a few times about his kit. He reàlly knows his stuff well. As soon as my warranty is close to bring up, I'm dropping my sled off down in welch, mn with him at his shop. Nice kit Indy Dan!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've had the pleasure of having visited with Dan at his shop and using his services... He puts not only a lot of time into pondering all the angles on a setup...but, as you can see, stakes his reputation and $$ on a warranty unheard of these days.

IMO, I believe that this will give many a big chunk of "Peace-of-Mind"

It is great to see innovative ideas come around with the quality and execution to back them up.

Keep it coming Dan!!

H
Dec 12, 2009
Sooooo. This question is intended with all seriousness, so an intelligent response would be appreciated.

How is it possible for a backyard shop (not specifically this manufacturer, rather all of those offering a fix-it-kit) to come up with a "fix" fir a motor that was designed by multiple highly paid engineers with huge budgets and testing resources?

I mean is there really a need for a "fix", what are the actual failure rates across all of the engines produced, has it been exaggerated by a few pissed of people with access to a forum, is the problem much bigger than it should be so someone can sell a fix to a problem that doesn't really exist?

E

edavis0202

Jan 11, 2012
Colorado
Sooooo. This question is intended with all seriousness, so an intelligent response would be appreciated.

How is it possible for a backyard shop (not specifically this manufacturer, rather all of those offering a fix-it-kit) to come up with a "fix" fir a motor that was designed by multiple highly paid engineers with huge budgets and testing resources?

I mean is there really a need for a "fix", what are the actual failure rates across all of the engines produced, has it been exaggerated by a few pissed of people with access to a forum, is the problem much bigger than it should be so someone can sell a fix to a problem that doesn't really exist?

I’ve talked to several dealers and engine builders, they ALL have said the same thing. The pistons are by far the worst part of that engine.

I wouldn’t call anyone on here a “back yard shop” that has been correcting issues from Polaris…

It’s no different than buying a phone, lawn mower, or computer…more often times than not a mass production will always have issues.

Companies won’t spend all their efforts on just one thing, when they have to make an overall product work at a cost friend basis…they obviously spent more time on the chassis the past 2 years.

Not to knock on Polaris, but they have never completely figured out the 800…Polaris denies there is problem.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010

Spending too much time trolling the boards, here's my take:

1. The original Poo 800 Liberty CFI intro'ed in 08 was always a rush job, and the consumer unpaid R&D, all puns intended. At jellystone at the expo in spring of 07, they were still trying to get the map working on the 800 - you could ride the 700's, but the 800 rarely made it out of the trailer. Never had it right before the 08 season started. Poo was under enormous pressure to deliver ANYTHING after the 05/06 fiasco.

2. Most 800 RMK's were not delivered until December, some not till Jan. Trail sleds were postponed, with RMK and Assaults first. The four Assaults I rode with all grenaded early in the season at least once. Poo NEVER had this motor figured out when it went into production.

3. Poo got the motor working adequately by 09 on the trail sleds at low elevation, and again reworked the 10 CFI 800. Poo has experienced a much lower failure rate on short tracks, both CFI4 and CFI2, which spend very little time at WFO. Poo builds motors for short tracks, first, where they sell most of their units. I'm sure they believe they could manage the problems on RMK's while offering an incredible chassis. So far, they've been right. Without the Pro chassis, Poo would be selling fewer RMK's then Nytro MTX's.

4. From just the andectoal tails on the 'net, the RMK failures are pretty deep. Doo has had many issues, also, and as a long-time summit rider and active DooTalk poster, they are real, too. The zuke 800 HO has an excellent track record. They had some issues with the first 800 laydown before the HO, but the HO was improved by US engineers in TRF, and is just well done. Hats off to TRF engineering and zuke.

Finally, watch for Suzuki to continue to build 2 strokes for ACAT in 2014 and later. Many peeps have this just wrong. ACAT will build all 4 strokes in St. Cloud. Zuke is still in the motor biz, and while ACAT holds the design for the HO, Suzuki may continue to deliver them to ACAT specs. Just how it works in the real world. The Poo motor issues won't be resolved until Poo delivers a spank'in new 800 redesigned from the ground-up, thoroughly tested in the Mountains.

Last edited:

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think IndyDan has a great rep here. I would go to him in heartbeat for a bottom end if I was out of warranty. I've even poked at him for advice on clutching here on the 4m.

I'm just curious what is wrong with the 3rd party warranty. Why would it make sense for me to throw that away and spend $2500 on this kit? I understand it states "reliability" but why wouldn't that 3rd party repair issues if they arise? I want to know because maybe I should just buy the one year warranty on my 2013 and plan something like this.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com

Ok.........So your expecting an Intelligent response froma bunch of backyard shops ?? Why don't you e-mail Polaris and ask them why the 2005/06 900 Motor.............The most hyped Twin engine ever built by Polaris ( More money invested they any other twin motor to date was a complete failure as far as Polaris was concerned and after extensive test to failure fell short of what Polaris allowed in late 2006 and the 2007 was discontiuned. Indy Specialty designed and built over 300 Torque Master III 33mm 900's to and only ( 1 ) PTO -end Broke and it was warrantied 100% no-charge to the customer.

And to answer your question about the PRO Motor.........Its short.

There is NO PISTON ONLY FIX that will ( Fix ) this motor. Don't confuse the word ( Fix ) with the word ( Patch ).

Ask whoever offers a fix kit how long their warranty is ???

You will soon find out how confident they are in their product that fixes your motor. ( I'm not saying that a set of pistons with a correct sized cylinder will not help a woren out motor )
Because it will.

And to give sum credit to Polaris........ Do you believe there is a price on a human life ??

Boeing can easily build an Airplane that will NOT crash.

Uncrashable airfare ------------ ( Coach $2500.00 )
Todays average airplane airfare - ( Coach $425.00 )

Which plane do you think will be the fullest ??

Cost has everything to do with almost everything. ( Polaris is on their 3rd secondary warranty company )
Its seems that over $18,000,000.00 ( 18 Million ) dollars in warranties on the Dragon Motors as of, Over 2 years ago is knowen to be hard
on the profit margin of these secondary companies.

Dan

Last edited:
R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Simple questions:

1)If this motor is so broken and can not be fixed by changing some KNOWN internal shortcomings and requires a complete reworking of the crank and cylinder.. then why is there not 100% failure rate?

2)Why is the CAT rod ratio (which is actually worse than the Polaris) Fine but Polaris Rod ratio is totally wrong? Same Bore, same Stroke, Polaris has the BETTER rod ratio, yet, there is a problem with one and not the other..

Now, if you talk about cylinder and piston design differences, then that is just that.. cylinder and piston design differences.. NOT ROD RATIO differences... So, is there a rod ratio problem OR a cylinder and/or piston design issue?

Simple questions

Last edited:
H
Dec 12, 2009
Well now that we are done talking about dragons and 900's (neither of which are the sled for which this product was produced), Is there really an issue on the current polaris motors, more to the original question: does anyone have numbers as the the actual failure rate for this motor?

The backyard reference was related to the amount of operating capital in comparison to the manufacturer, so try not to get too bent about the nomenclature.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Well now that we are done talking about dragons and 900's (neither of which are the sled for which this product was produced), Is there really an issue on the current polaris motors, more to the original question: does anyone have numbers as the the actual failure rate for this motor?

The backyard reference was related to the amount of operating capital in comparison to the manufacturer, so try not to get too bent about the nomenclature.

You want to exclude the Dragon motors? That doesn't make any sense, the '11 and '12's are the same damn thing, minus 2 injectors.

Premium Features