• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Review and Install: Scala Rider "PACK TALK" helmet to helmet communications

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
A few years ago I had the real pleasure of using the Scala Rider G9 Helmet to Helmet snowmobile intercom system. You can read that review here
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367176
In short, I LOVED THIS UNIT!
Being able to talk HANDS FREE to my fellow riders was nothing short of AWESOME. It added so much to the riding experience!

This year I will be offering up a full review and install article on their latest and greatest technology, "PackTalk". I just ordered THREE units from SCALA and as soon as they arrive I will begin the full review.

Meantime, here is a little teaser of whats to come!

FROM THEIR WEBSITE...

Scala rider PACKTALK introduces ground-breaking DMC™ technology for dynamic group riding, enabling 15 riders to connect at a range of up to 5 miles / 8 km. This, in addition to Bluetooth connectivity with mobile phones, GPS, music, FM radio and other Bluetooth communication systems.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XEcs8yx2ZRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The scala rider® PACKTALK™ introduces groundbreaking DMC™ (Dynamic Meshwork Communication) technology to redefine your riding experience. This new innovative technology introduces the 3rd generation of communication systems for riders, enabling your large rider groups to maintain constant connectivity through a virtual network that is both spontaneous and fluid. Each rider can randomly join, leave and re-join the others without compromising the conversation of the entire group. There is no equivalent in the entire motorcycle communication industry.

The PACKTALK incorporates DMC and Bluetooth® technologies to complement each other. The auto-adaptive nature of Cardo's DMC technology constantly forms and re-assembles itself to ensure that communication among a group of riders remains uninterrupted, irrespective of the ever-changing environment. The complementary Bluetooth mode gives you the freedom to conduct mobile calls, receive navigation instructions, listen to music (via A2DP or the built in FM radio) and connect via intercom with other Bluetooth communication systems. The PACKTALK is the world’s only system with dual communication technologies on board.

With the Cardo SmartSet app and its remote control feature, you may opt to use your smartphone or tablet to control your PACKTALK. Make intercom and phone calls, play music and radio, plus customize the settings - all from your Android or iOS mobile devices.

• 1.png
    DMC™ Intercom mode for multi-party intercom calls over a virtual private network – with up to 15 riders
  • 2.png
    Unique design: Roller-wheel and flat-plate control panel
  • 27.png
    DMC Bridge™ allows passenger with Bluetooth-only device or outside mobile caller to join a PACKTALK group
  • 26.png
    Private Chat allows 1:1 conversation while no other group members can listen in
  • 3.png
    Up to 1 mile / 1.6 km Bike-to-Bike intercom and up to 8 km with 5 or more riders
  • 4.png
    4-Way Bluetooth Intercom Conferencing: 2 riders and their passengers or 3 separate riders (Full Duplex)
  • 5.png
    “1+8” Bluetooth Intercom Toggling: Toggle among 8 other riders
  • 6.png
    Click-to-Link® intercom for spontaneous conversation with other scala rider users nearby
  • 7.png
    Voice Command: Voice recognition technology for true hands-free operation
  • 8.png
    Cardo Gateway™: Enables non-Cardo headsets to connect via intercom
  • 9.png
    Intercom-to-Mobile: Calls switch automatically to mobile when out of range
  • 10.png
    Cardo SmartSet™ App for remote control and on-the-go setting customization
  • 11.png
    Cardo Community® platform for social features, device customization & software upgrades
  • 12.png
    Music Sharing™- Rider & Passenger listen to the same stereo music (via A2DP)
  • 13.png
    Parallel Audio-streaming Talk and listen to music at the same time
  • 14.png
    Hot-dial number (Customizable)
  • 15.png
    Make / Receive / Reject calls by voice command or at the push of a button, A2DP/AVRCP profile for wireless stereo from smartphones, Conference mode between outside caller, Rider-Passenger
  • 16.png
    Receive GPS navigation instructions via Bluetooth
  • 17.png
    Built-in FM Radio with RDS: 6 station presets with auto scan, Automatic selection of the strongest signal, Radio on time: 8-10 hours, Automatic radio muting for incoming calls
  • 18.png
    Connect wirelessly to MP3 players via A2DP for stereo music
  • 19.png
    Self-adjusting audio volume according to speed & ambient noise (Customizable)
  • 20.png
    Voice-control for receiving / rejecting incoming mobile or intercom calls (Customizable)
  • 21.png
    Multilingual status announcements
  • 22.png
    Interchangeable hybrid and corded microphones
  • 23.png
    Dual replaceable speakers (3.5 mm)
  • 24.png
    Up to 13 hours talk-time/ 1 week stand-by
  • 25.png
    Waterproof & Dustproof

REVIEW VIDEO
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JnarUpE1HLg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
After a long delay I will finally get going on this review.
Before I got started I wanted to get a new helmet to go along with the new comms units, but it took me a little more time than expected.

This afternoon I picked up a new KLIM F3 helmet that I will use as the test subject to mount these new Pack Talk units to.

Joks79

Lifetime Membership
Oct 27, 2008
MN. 10 minutes from Canada!
After a long delay I will finally get going on this review.
Before I got started I wanted to get a new helmet to go along with the new comms units, but it took me a little more time than expected.

This afternoon I picked up a new KLIM F3 helmet that I will use as the test subject to mount these new Pack Talk units to.

Any update after using them some? The good and the bad.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Really interested in your thoughts with this setup.
Sorry this is taking so long.
I have 3 full days of experience working with the unit in the field at Togwotee.

But I decided to change out helmets mid way through the test.
Scala just sent me a 2nd mounting kit and I now have to get the transceiver mounted to the new helmet and then finish out the test.

SUPER SHORT synopsis...:face-icon-small-hap

Voice activated system allows me to talk to ANY other rider in the group so long as I can SEE THEM, and sometimes with limits when I can't.

Generally speaking the system does NOT like line of site obstacles, but can easily reach a half mile across an open field, or through trees so long as I can still see the other sled.

The ability to turn the system ON or OFF and adjust SOUND LEVEL with your gloves ON is very good! This was made for use with gloves.

Allows you to connect it to your cell phone and stream any music on the phone directly into your helmet, and I am here to tell you that is one heck of a KICK IN THE PANTS while you are riding!

In COLD temps we had no problem running the system for a full day on a single charge. And the actual transmitter pops off easily from the helmet for storage and recharging but NEVER came off from crash/rollover normal sledding stuff.

S

scalarider

Nov 1, 2016
Pittrsburgh, PA
cardosystems.com
Sorry this is taking so long.
I have 3 full days of experience working with the unit in the field at Togwotee.

But I decided to change out helmets mid way through the test.
Scala just sent me a 2nd mounting kit and I now have to get the transceiver mounted to the new helmet and then finish out the test.

SUPER SHORT synopsis...:face-icon-small-hap

Voice activated system allows me to talk to ANY other rider in the group so long as I can SEE THEM, and sometimes with limits when I can't.

Generally speaking the system does NOT like line of site obstacles, but can easily reach a half mile across an open field, or through trees so long as I can still see the other sled.

The ability to turn the system ON or OFF and adjust SOUND LEVEL with your gloves ON is very good! This was made for use with gloves.

Allows you to connect it to your cell phone and stream any music on the phone directly into your helmet, and I am here to tell you that is one heck of a KICK IN THE PANTS while you are riding!

In COLD temps we had no problem running the system for a full day on a single charge. And the actual transmitter pops off easily from the helmet for storage and recharging but NEVER came off from crash/rollover normal sledding stuff.

Hey, Christopher! We were wondering if you were going to post the review soon. We're all eager to hear what you have to say. Hope all is well. Thanks! :peace:

-scala rider

Premium Features