• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Any way to fix slop in, or replace u-joint in steering post???

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
I have always had a little slop in the handlebars from left to right since I got the sled and always wondered what it was. Started to pull the motor this weekend and found that the slop is coming from the u joint which is all rusted and making a mess of everything. Is there any way to fix or just replace the u joint without buying and swapping out the entire steering shaft? I would at least like to try and keep it from making a mess once I get everything cleaned up.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Thanks I will keep an eye out for cracks in the bulkhead once I get everything out of the way, sounds like I will have to deal with the little bit of slop.

Z-Man

Premium Member
Dec 23, 2007
Another option is to remove the steering shaft and cut the end off and weld it to a new Chromoly tube. The shaft will run very close to the Mag side injector but I don't think you will need to move the bottom bracket.

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
If you are going that far into it ck all the rod ends they wear. And while I did not do it to my 900 you might take measurements and call Borgeson, and if they have something ,be done with it.

Premium Features