• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 "fix"

07dragon

Apr 8, 2010
is "the fix" really been the fix? i would love to have an assault iq but scared of spendng out the butt to keep it running

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
is "the fix" really been the fix? i would love to have an assault iq but scared of spendng out the butt to keep it running

It is by far the best solution out there. Combine it with a PA head, clutching adjustment and the sled just RIP's. Don't wait, just do it.

KJAssault

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2011
Not close enough to snow
X2 just do it you wont regret it the thing will flat out rip call shawn great guy get you set up right. did one gonna do another best money spent so far. :face-icon-small-coo

RDS88

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2008
It is by far the best solution out there. Combine it with a PA head, clutching adjustment and the sled just RIP's. Don't wait, just do it.

you run this set up? If so is it really that good?

N

ND Farmer

Nov 30, 2007
north dakota
Speaking from experience....I finished the spring '10 season w/ original motor and the "gizmo" installed (running slp pipe, can, clutch kit and vents all over) and the last trip out it sounded like marbles in the engine. This season with the "fix kit" installed it sounds like a sewing machine (smmoooth). My sled is a 2010 800 RMK 163" and I did the original 2008 reflash. Last week in West Yellowstone my buddy and I pulled a long hill 3 times sided by side and he never gained an inch on me. (his sled is a 2012 800PRO RMK 163 stock, except a light weight can). I AM IMPRESSED!!!!!!!! Thanks PMS!!!!

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
I just can't even come onto this forum anymore. Polaris if you had even one ounce of integrity you would have recalled these sleds. I'm sorry to sound negative, but no amount of money can prevent the inevitable with these sleds. They are what nightmares are made of.

Does the fix work? Heck ya, but it's still just one piece of the puzzle.

My advice. Dump it and run, run as fast as you can far far away. Ideal situation, launch it through the front door at Polaris and land it on the CEO's desk. 10 extra bonus points.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
I have a 2009 dragon RMK with the fix and it runs better than ever before! You can get a great deal buying a iq and installing the fix and imo its a great sled. But if you have the extra 2k, defiantly go for a pro.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Dragon Saver kit, like MTNTEK but cheaper

There is a "new" fix kit called the Dragon Saver from Duncan Brothers here:

http://rebuiltsnowmobileengines.com/snowmobile-engine-rebuild-kits/wiseco-dragon-800-rebuild-kit/

Their kit looks very similar to the MTNTK kit that PMS Polaris is selling, shim and all, you can get it with Wiseco pistons for $450 shipped, with SPI pistons for $350 shipped (edit: free shipping on complete engines, not sure if that applies to these kits). That is a pretty big savings over $585 plus $25 shipping for total of $610. Save $160 and still get Wiseco pistons. I would think the only thing very different on these kits would be the shim. Contacted them and they said that the pistons are readily available so you don't have to buy new pistons from them, if the time ever comes you need replacements (tempting to buy a new set right off in case they ever go out of production).

I am going to order soon, either from PMS or from Duncan, I don't want to wait until my engine self-destructs like my 02 Skidoo 800 (dropped a skirt, hole'd the case, luckily only about 1/4 mile downhill to the truck and a buddy to tow me out). I was able to pick up an entire engine for it for $1100 complete. Not likely to find a D8 motor for that amount, they all self-destructed before the sleds get parted out!

Last edited:

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
I just can't even come onto this forum anymore. Polaris if you had even one ounce of integrity you would have recalled these sleds. I'm sorry to sound negative, but no amount of money can prevent the inevitable with these sleds. They are what nightmares are made of.

My advice. Dump it and run, run as fast as you can far far away. Ideal situation, launch it through the front door at Polaris and land it on the CEO's desk. 10 extra bonus points.

I here ya Monte. if I ha do do it over I would of never bought the '08 Dragon. Now that was a big POS. The '09 has been a totally different machine though. Hopefully, I have been proactive by installing the "FIX" at 1250 miles. As I have stated several times now, the Fix and a PA head has turned this engine into what we all thought it should have been. I know, Polaris should have stepped up and dealt with the problem, but......I love what i have now and I guess that is all that matters. If you do not deal with the eventual piston failure with these engines, then I agree, get rid of it sooner than later. However, people can get a great machine cheap, install the "FIX" and have many trouble miles of riding. Something to seriously consider if you have only X amount of money to spend. New is best, but it is also the most expensive for most of us. My 2 cents.

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
MTNTK'S original fix kit. Special Piston MANY REASONS

There is a "new" fix kit called the Dragon Saver from Duncan Brothers here:

http://rebuiltsnowmobileengines.com/snowmobile-engine-rebuild-kits/wiseco-dragon-800-rebuild-kit/

Their kit looks very similar to the MTNTK kit that PMS Polaris is selling, shim and all, you can get it with Wiseco pistons for $450 shipped, with SPI pistons for $350 shipped (edit: free shipping on complete engines, not sure if that applies to these kits). That is a pretty big savings over $585 plus $25 shipping for total of $610. Save $160 and still get Wiseco pistons. I would think the only thing very different on these kits would be the shim. Contacted them and they said that the pistons are readily available so you don't have to buy new pistons from them, if the time ever comes you need replacements (tempting to buy a new set right off in case they ever go out of production).

I am going to order soon, either from PMS or from Duncan, I don't want to wait until my engine self-destructs like my 02 Skidoo 800 (dropped a skirt, hole'd the case, luckily only about 1/4 mile downhill to the truck and a buddy to tow me out). I was able to pick up an entire engine for it for $1100 complete. Not likely to find a D8 motor for that amount, they all self-destructed before the sleds get parted out!

Big difference in these kits is not the shim that is not the difference here, THE PISTONS ARE THE DIFFERENCE. The issue here is that MTNTKDYNO@GMAIL.COM has spent 4 years building "THE FIX KIT" 2 YEARS of testing before releasing it to the public, oh there are many reasons oh so many that MTNTK built a new piston. Think to yourself why would a new piston be built. Huh must be some reason. But yah maybe people should try something cheaply copied. You might as well go with a cheap copy cat ( so you can have problems again "WHAT") These companies are just out to make a quick buck. Remember something that is similar is not perfect and the public asked for a true fix. MTNTK Delivered and now after two years these so called companies are trying to cash in. But what they don't realize is that the pistons are the key. The MTNTK wiseco piston fixes the issue. Don't be fooled by something close. Buy the proven product not something similar. MTNTK has over 40 dealers nation wide & in Canada that you can get these original FIX KITS.

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Big difference in these kits is not the shim that is not the difference here, THE PISTONS ARE THE DIFFERENCE. The issue here is that MTNTKDYNO@GMAIL.COM has spent 4 years building "THE FIX KIT" 2 YEARS of testing before releasing it to the public, oh there are many reasons oh so many that MTNTK built a new piston. Think to yourself why would a new piston be built. Huh must be some reason. But yah maybe people should try something cheaply copied. You might as well go with a cheap copy cat ( so you can have problems again "WHAT") These companies are just out to make a quick buck. Remember something that is similar is not perfect and the public asked for a true fix. MTNTK Delivered and now after two years these so called companies are trying to cash in. But what they don't realize is that the pistons are the key. The MTNTK wiseco piston fixes the issue. Don't be fooled by something close. Buy the proven product not something similar. MTNTK has over 40 dealers nation wide & in Canada that you can get these original FIX KITS.

Just trying to gather all the information before I buy. No insult intended here towards you or MTNTK, I have been following your "Get your FIX" thread since it came on the forum and would NEVER have posted this information into that thread, which is why I posted it here as another option for someone asking about stuff.

I do appreciate all the hard work that went into developing the fix kit. I also never said the "dragon saver" kit was better or worse, just putting the information out there that it exists, and still gathering info before I plunk my money down. I also saw a copycat fix kit on ebay call the "Polaris DRAGON RMK 800 TOP END REBUILD KIT UPGRADED NAMURA FIX KIT 2008-2010". Never heard of Namura pistons but of course they are all over ebay for lots of different applications.

So in the interest of getting more information, are the taller Wiseco pistons in the MTNTK fix kit custom made just for MTNTK? When I pile a bunch more miles on my sled, or do something stupid like lean it out too much with my PCV controller, and I want to replace the pistons, can I buy a replacement set from you? I don't expect you to divulge any trade secrets here on what is different about your taller pistons vs.the other "brand x" Wiseco taller pistons, but it just raises possible concerns about replacement parts availability in the future. I generally keep my sleds for a lot of years and miles (6K mountain miles on my last Polaris) so throwing in a new set of pistons every so many miles is preventive maintenance to me.

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
PMS, can you give me some more info on what is different? I am about to buy your kit but I also like to spend my money carefully and know what I am buying. I also would like to know about replacements down the road. If your piston is a custom Wiseco piece can I buy replacements down the road? Please expand on your answer, I do know there are many marketing pitches on here from all kinds of vendors, I would like to make the most informed buying decision possible and I will support the vendors that are willing to support me.
Thanks much.

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
ANSWER ABOUT THE "THE FIX KIT"

PMS, can you give me some more info on what is different? I am about to buy your kit but I also like to spend my money carefully and know what I am buying. I also would like to know about replacements down the road. If your piston is a custom Wiseco piece can I buy replacements down the road? Please expand on your answer, I do know there are many marketing pitches on here from all kinds of vendors, I would like to make the most informed buying decision possible and I will support the vendors that are willing to support me.
Thanks much.

Yes you can get replacement pistons anytime from MTNTK or PMS or the 40 other dealers around, we understand that people will need replacement pistons. About the difference in the Pistons all I can tell you is that all the other pistons that these so called companies out there are using are similar but again 2 years of testing found some interesting results, Those Results I could tell you but then you know we would have copy cats doing what they do best. Something’s you just have to look at the 1400 kits sold track record. Also $160 is worth peace of mind one would think to keep that dragon running. The biggest marketing pitch that I think people should consider is MTNTK came out with it first and has sold over 1400 FIX KIT’s everybody else is coping MTNTK and trying to call it THE FIX.

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
Just trying to gather all the information before I buy. No insult intended here towards you or MTNTK, I have been following your "Get your FIX" thread since it came on the forum and would NEVER have posted this information into that thread, which is why I posted it here as another option for someone asking about stuff.

I do appreciate all the hard work that went into developing the fix kit. I also never said the "dragon saver" kit was better or worse, just putting the information out there that it exists, and still gathering info before I plunk my money down. I also saw a copycat fix kit on ebay call the "Polaris DRAGON RMK 800 TOP END REBUILD KIT UPGRADED NAMURA FIX KIT 2008-2010". Never heard of Namura pistons but of course they are all over ebay for lots of different applications.

So in the interest of getting more information, are the taller Wiseco pistons in the MTNTK fix kit custom made just for MTNTK? When I pile a bunch more miles on my sled, or do something stupid like lean it out too much with my PCV controller, and I want to replace the pistons, can I buy a replacement set from you? I don't expect you to divulge any trade secrets here on what is different about your taller pistons vs.the other "brand x" Wiseco taller pistons, but it just raises possible concerns about replacement parts availability in the future. I generally keep my sleds for a lot of years and miles (6K mountain miles on my last Polaris) so throwing in a new set of pistons every so many miles is preventive maintenance to me.

Not a problem just trying to clear up any confusion about pistons, AND THAT THERE HAS TO BE A HUGE REASON that MTNTK would spend the time and money on making a new piston. Beyond that everybody has to figure out what they really want. Do you want it really fixed or something similar, Yes MTNTK always keeps extra pistons on hand. And will always have then available for sale to replace or rebuild the engine.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Thanks much.

GKR...I bought my FIX kit last Sept from PMS...Shawn was great...There may be a dealer in Alberta that sells this kit if you do not want to order out of the states...There was one other vendor that offered a similar kit at the time, but becuase MNTK did there homework, I went with their Kit...I would not worry about the $160 as much as knowing that PMS/MNTK stands behind this product and 1000+ Kits sold...Combine this KIT with a PA head and you are good to go!!!!! Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
M

metallicat

Nov 27, 2007
Rugby, ND
Sucks!

I agree with you 100%. I am sitting here with a 2010 800 Dragon 155 with 1000 miles on it. Warranty about to runout. As much as i want a Pro, I really don't want to spend the money because this dragon is an awesome sled.I JUST DON'T TRUST IT!! i would rather spend the money though and get a new sled with warranty rather than have this one cost me $2000 down the road and still have a 3 or 4 year old sled. Do i want a Pro? Yes. just didn't want to feel like i HAVE to buy one. I do HAVE to buy one right??? at least that's what i'm gonna tell the wife!!!:behindsofa:

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
I agree with you 100%. I am sitting here with a 2010 800 Dragon 155 with 1000 miles on it. Warranty about to runout. As much as i want a Pro, I really don't want to spend the money because this dragon is an awesome sled.I JUST DON'T TRUST IT!! i would rather spend the money though and get a new sled with warranty rather than have this one cost me $2000 down the road and still have a 3 or 4 year old sled. Do i want a Pro? Yes. just didn't want to feel like i HAVE to buy one. I do HAVE to buy one right??? at least that's what i'm gonna tell the wife!!!:behindsofa:

Have you had any issues with the sled? Can you still buy extended warranty? You say that you really like the sled but do not trust it. Your perdicament is where I was last Sept. Two options: 1. Trade/sell and get a new sled..Big $$$$...2. Install the "FIX KIT" c/w PA @ $1000...doing it your self. Either way it is costing money. These were the options I presented to the wife. Option two was the choice and I have been very happy with it. Either option, you will have a great sled!!! :face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

GKR

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Bought the PMS kit yesterday from my local perf shop. Also picked up the SLP head. Started install last night. Good thing I did, serious signs of pending doom on the stock pistons at about 1400 miles. Will take some pics and some measurements and post an update later.

gerrman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Canada
Bought the PMS kit yesterday from my local perf shop. Also picked up the SLP head. Started install last night. Good thing I did, serious signs of pending doom on the stock pistons at about 1400 miles. Will take some pics and some measurements and post an update later.

Oh Man, Deja Vu all over again. Will be money well spent though.:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features