• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Planning a first time trip out west, Where to go? what to do??

Me and my dad are planning a trip out west next year to snowmobile during my xmas break from college. We have no clue whats out there since we live in Ohio and we ride in Michigan, where its all flat. We have been wanting to go out west for a while now, and decided next year is the year. So can you guys tell me of some good rental companies, or places to stay? We would like to tour Yellowstone for a day or so, and then the rest we would like to rent mountain sleds, and go trail riding, and play off trail. Is there any good company that does off trail backcountry tours?? Also where can we fly into??

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

M

merlin2569

Jan 13, 2008
Clarkfield, MN
I would recommend West Yellowstone, Montana. Have had a lot of fun out there. Golden West hotel is a good place to stay Kurt will take good care of you there and if you are looking for a tour guide for a couple days Kurt would probably go with ya. Polaris West is a good place to rent sleds from. As far as where you can fly into maybe Bozeman then you are only 90 miles from West Yellowstone. Hope this helps ya.

I
Nov 27, 2007
Like it is said above ,West is the place to go. The Goldenwest and Kurt are great ambassadors to the area. Yellowstone Park is worth riding at least one day. Don't do it all in one year that way you have an excuse to come back. Just a reminder you will need a "certified " guide inside the park and have to ride an approved sled.
You will not regret going to West.
:):beer;:):beer;:):beer;

iceman17a

Stay low and don't lose the wall

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I am a Montana native and i have been pretty much every ware and west is not nearly as much fun as Cooke. Cooke is by far better then west, if you like to climb, play in the deep, not see 5000 rental sleds, or if you like seeing the Beartooths peak up through the clouds.

bearclawbob

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Cooke City

West has lost popularity after the park has limited its riding in Yellowstone park. Then you have to travel over rough trails to get to any good riding.

Cooke on the other hand , is a great place. It has all kinds of riding from Hill climbing to huge bowls to play in. The top of the World is awesome. Its a few miles down a groomed trail system.
There are several motels in the area, The super 8 is good. It has a nice continental breakfast with it. Where the rest of them don't.

Big D rmk700

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
New Ulm, Mn
I think that you would find a lot more riding your style in West then Cooke, I agree that the park restictions have cut down on the crowds but they still groom everynite and the trails have been really good the last few years.

C
Nov 26, 2007
I'm a flatlander that rides in Cooke about five to six times a year I think you will love the area. Cooke has all different areas and terains to ride. Its a snowmobile town for sure.Every one in town is very helpfull.......

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
So its settled! You must go to cooke! I am heading up there tomarrow early in the morning

Last edited:
Premium Features