For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: IQ 2005-Current, all models in the IQ and IQ Raw chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Currently: keepin it taped
SaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond repute
Default 09 600 cylinder pictures from idling after rebuilt top end

I just replaced my top end after i noticed the compression just dipped below 100. I had a leaky oil pump earlier in the season but I replaced it before anything happened so this was probably the culprit of the loss in compression. I had rode another 1000 miles after I replaced the pump on the same cylinders and pistons.

I swapped out my cylinders for fresh ones from CV tech and also installed SPI Pistons. After bringing the sled up to temp in my garage twice after the rebuild I decided to tear into it again to ensure nothing bad was happening.
(It only takes me 30-40 minutes to tear a top end off these sleds) My PTO cylinder was perfect and the non PTO side looked like this.

Does this look normal? the rings appeared to have little brown spots on the outside. I re-assembled the sled, took it out with a tank of mixed fuel for break it and rode it for 5 hours under 7000 rpm with no issues.

Just looking for some opinions on that cylinder, It has zero miles just a start up and brought to temp. Everything was covered in VES gold during assembly

Thanks for looking

Rate this post: Yes | No
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Currently: [Too Long]
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,313 Posts
m8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond repute

so is the compression close to each other..??...if the marks can not be felt..??..i think if you have the mixed gas...good break-in and patient warm-ups you just may be ok..

what do you have to lose now..??...do you think the rings could still snag a port..??
07/m8 141 900 bigbore, Stm valves, Bdx oil delete, adj fuel reg, bumper kit ,Rock rollers, light hub and rotor and post brace, Fastlane no snows and 9 inch 2 wheel kit ,Dayton weights, Shift assist, Timbersled intake, Mtn tamer and Barkbuster with fox evols , Diamond s hood, Boss shorty seat ,Rox risers, Koso egts , a/r , water temp guage .Mod ski's. 911 cover

400 pounds...!!!!!!!

Old 02-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Currently: ahhh back to work
Parts Moderator & Chat Box Cop
slash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond reputeslash has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

looks like it was not real clean ,I put mine in the dishwasher and run cascade
it gets them scrubbed up real nice with water hotter than our hands can stand

09 IQ
KMOD
RAPTORS
2.5 CE
MOHAWKS
SLP PIPE
KOOLME KUSTOMS 660 KIT
TATERSPORTING PORTWORK

[IMG]//www.snowest.com//www.snowest.com/i/snowest-forum-logo.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-03-2013, 09:04 PM
SaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond reputeSaskRMK has a reputation beyond repute

Its running fine right now i just wanted opinions on that cylinder since the PTO side did not have these marks after idling the sled.

I was just a little surprised to see these marks after the sled was running for less than 5 minutes. A friend just dissasembled his 600 EDGE XC with 13k miles after his crank snapped and his cylinders that have 5k miles were still perfect.

You could not feel the marks. They were Clean reman cylinders right out of the sealed box and bag from Cvtech.

Last edited by SaskRMK; 02-03-2013 at 09:09 PM.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Currently: [Too Long]
Thanked 2,078 Times in 1,313 Posts
m8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond reputem8magicandmystery has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskRMK View Post
They were Clean reman cylinders right out of the sealed box and bag from Cvtech.
you can not trust them to be clean..for the installer to clean them is the "last line of defense"...lol..
07/m8 141 900 bigbore, Stm valves, Bdx oil delete, adj fuel reg, bumper kit ,Rock rollers, light hub and rotor and post brace, Fastlane no snows and 9 inch 2 wheel kit ,Dayton weights, Shift assist, Timbersled intake, Mtn tamer and Barkbuster with fox evols , Diamond s hood, Boss shorty seat ,Rox risers, Koso egts , a/r , water temp guage .Mod ski's. 911 cover

400 pounds...!!!!!!!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Currently: In limbo
sled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond reputesled_guy has a reputation beyond repute

Did you check piston ring end gap? Not normal on a fresh rebuild. Ring installed wrong on the pistons, ring gap too tight, not enough oil on startup... something.

But if you can't feel them you are fine running it... unless it is ring end gap and then when you get it good and hot you will likely stick a ring.

sled_guy

The Following User Says Thank You to sled_guy For This Useful Post:
m8magicandmystery (02-04-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I have rode the sled 60km at half throttle with no issues right up to 125 temp. Cylinders and rings were covered in oil during assembly and i poured a caps worth on top and turned the crank before installing the head. The Ring gap was measured before assembly. Compression is 110 in each hole.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:14 AM

UPDATE

well things cant be going that bad I have 124 PSI in each hole after a full tank of mixed fuel for break in

The Following User Says Thank You to SaskRMK For This Useful Post:
volcano buster (02-09-2013)