• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

98 670 summit X mod suggestions

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
I have a 98 670 summit x slightly modded interested in suggestions. I have CPI pipes, ufos, forged wiseco pistons + 1mm.

Anyone ever heard of polishing heads summitx heads are supposed to be really good factory heads. They are shaped like a trumpet's bell and have a rough cast surface in the combustion chamber.

Also thinking about getting a silver bottle, should I go boss noss or boondockers setup?

Thanks

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
Short rotary valve cover{pre mix only} and a 501 rotary valve. Gut the air box if it isn't already. Boondockers would be the better choice for a NOS setup,

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
For what type of riding? If you ride the hills the first thing I would do is a mild Drop/roll and go with a 2" track.....141, 144, 151, 156 or whatever fits your riding style. CLUTCHING there is some good gains to be had also. PM me you altitude and a little more info for a proven and CHEAP clutching setup.

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
Mod suggestions

A turbo isn't really in the budget, the summit x comes stock with the 501 rotary valve. Does oil injection cost that much power? Do the rotary engines put up with the turbos well. Theres a guy in town (Laramie) who is selling one for 800 xp if anyone is interested.

All the performance heads I have ever seen are smooth as can be. How does the surface roughness affect combustion and ignition. I may ebay an extra set of 670x heads and have a machinist polish it and see what happens.

S

Skidoohmx

Nov 26, 2007
Deary, Idaho
Best bang for the buck if not already done is add a larger track and reclutch it. Are you sure your head does not have detonation damage. Show a picture if you can.

Aug 27, 2009
Laramie, WY
No pic I don't have the head off currently. Its not detonation damage I have seen that before. Just the simple roughness of a cast iron pan. The sled runs good I just have some hp curiosity.

M
Jun 15, 2009
Marshfield, WI.
the way i look at it the smooth polish heads vers as cast heads will make no real difrence in power or compatibility with turbos but in the event of mild detno it can work like a place to build heat faster and be more damage to parts.

Premium Features