• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The SHOT Cap and Summerizing

S
Feb 24, 2016
WA
Anyone have a good understanding of capacitors from a maintenance standpoint?

Specifically, what if anything, should be done with our SHOT cap over the summer? Do they like an occasional charge up? Do they have memory?

Just seems to me like letting an electrical storage device sit in a static state for months at a time is not a good thing. Maybe I'm imposing old school battery wisdom onto a device that's totally different.

And no... I didn't consult the owners manual yet. Where's the fun in that when I have this body of "experts" literally at my fingertips?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Unless they are different from normal capacitors they need no charge to maintain them in good condition. There is some internal resistance and they will drain to zero volts but that does not hurt them. They are likely better left drained but do not purposefully short them out to drain as this dumps way too much current and can damage them. They should be good for 1/2 million cycles.

Bottom line is "No Maintenance Required" unless BRP tells you something different. e.g. not normal capacitors.

Premium Features