• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

use of two-way radios

getting our survival backs ready for trip out west the second week in jan. would like to know if anyone has used two=way radios when riding the backcountry. interested is knowing if they are effective in the trees, how do work in the cold. what would I expect for communication distance. curious also what brand do you use.

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I use 4 radios, a set of cobra's and a set of Motorola's. I don't think any of them are very high end models. I set them all to the same frequency, then test and lock them and give them to my friends. I only ride in the trees and can usually get at least a half mile in dense forest and uneven terrain at worst. At best I can get maybe 2 miles out of them in the trees. We are almost never that far apart though. Somebody is almost always stuck and out of sight, so they work great for saving time and keeping everybody informed.

N

nfinit100

Oct 1, 2015
Northern CO
we have used the midwest radios and bca link radios. Both offer similar capabilities for distance in and out of trees. Once we start climbing hills, if you go over a ridge it becomes really hit and miss. Still need to have a good general idea.

The bca are a little easier for us because of the mic's and how loud they can go. Also easy to communicate without removing gloves.

Premium Features