• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broke something on carb

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
96 powder extreme.
all three carbs have a little black rectangle plastic thing screwed to the side (what is that?)

Only one carb has a larger aluminum block with a tube on it that goes into a plastic fitting in the carb. There are two wires, one broke off (looks like it was soldered). What is this and can it be repaired?

Thank you.
Krs

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
If the little black plastic rectangle thing has two wires on it, it is part of the throttle safety switch that kills the engine if the throttle sticks. I have had a boat load of troubles with them on many Cats over the years. I usually take them off and jumper the wires on the chassis wiring harness that they plug into. The other block with the two wires is part of the altitude compensator and the wires go to a heater so it doesn't ice up and quit working in deep powder. Hope this helps.

K
Dec 31, 2012
Burley, Idaho
That does help. I will try and resolder the wire to the altitude thing.

I had better research the little black thing, so i can bypass it on the trail if needed.

Thank you for your help.

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Those sleds came with a little wire loop two prong plug that was used to bypass the throttle safety switch if it went on the fritz. If you are lucky it is still in the sled somewhere. There was also a small canvas pouch with a few tools that might have been with it, the plug should be in there if you got the tool bag. Good luck.

Premium Features