• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'17 Snowcheck - What to do...

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Well this is a first....I was in the market to pick up a leftover Cat from the dealership I was working at but since "working at" is past tense that fell through in a hurry. And now this has kinda landed in my lap. It's time to upgrade sleds so I thought why not buy a Polaris right?

I've avoided the Polaris section of this site since SW decided we needed OEM specific groups. LOL

My last Polaris was a 2001 Pro-X 440 so bare with me.

I have the chance to pick up a friends snowcheck 155x3 Axys and I'm 98% sure I'm going to take it off his hands. I don't have to decide right away but I'm looking for simple upgrades that are basically needed for these sleds. I have some friends with older Pro's and Assaults and engine issues aside I've seen numerous lower a-arms, tunnels, sloppy steering needing to be addressed.
Now none of my current riding group is riding Axys sleds so these are still new to me. Especially since I was working at a Cat shop for the past year n a half. I'll also have a good conversation with the Backus boys about what is ultimately needed once I decide to phone my buddy up.

Here's what I'm looking at after reading days worth of threads in this section;

Oh before I get started I'll do my own clutching and gearing so no need to mention any clutch kits or the like. Nor will it be turboed this first year. The sled itself is going to cost me enough as it is.

Raptor TRS package since I want to try out the WE shocks. I haven't ridden on a set since that old Pro-X and I'm sure they can't be as bad as others have said. Nor am I ready to drop big money on shocks on a brand new sled just yet.

Front n Rear bumpers. I like the Mountain Armor rear bumper but i'm looking for a matching set front and rear which brings me to the NXT LVL Skinz bumpers. I have seen the progression of the B&M Fab rear bumper but I'm not liking their front bumper too much. Anyone with real world(crash) experiences with either? I like the Itek bumper too but no front bumper.....

Tunnel Reinforcements - I haven't really seen a whole lot but I should have a talk to TB Racing as that's where the sled is coming frombasically(Backus Racing) Itek has some but I'm not sure they are for the Axys.

Vents, are people going with whole panels or singular vents?

I'm also pretty sure that by the end of the season I'll be upgrading to a belt drive from TKI or C3 since I truly believe that a beltdrive IS that much better than a chaincase. I rode two Pro's back to back, one with a BD one with a chain and I felt like the BD responded much better.

As far as a pipe/can combo - I live close enough to Terra Alps and have seen some really impressive dyno numbers lately that I'll probably make a trip down to Ted and pick one up personally. Are these sleds needing T-Stat upgrades too or did Polaris re-design their setup?

Has anyone done a oil delete on these or is there something keeping you guys from doing this? Oil delivery to the bearings etc?

What else am I missing? One thing that keeps popping up is that every Ski-Doo and Arctic-Cat internet hero is in love with the Gripper skis on their sleds but I see a lot of Polaris riders changing to SLP or C&A skis. I personally have C&A BX skis on my old Rev and SLP's on my Cats and wouldn't trade them for the world. But after hearing it from Cat and Doo guys about how great the Grippers are I was thinking I wouldn't have to change the stock skis until I entered this section and see a lot of you have changed. What's a guy to do other than wait and see if I like them(Which I will ultimately do)

I'm also looking at the Burandt large tunnel bag, or is there something else that people recommend? And I'll probably buy a NXT LVL windshield bag thing for the springtime.

Help me out guys!!!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
working at the cat shop how many cats did you find with engine problems and in need of the laundry list of fix it parts you have in your list?
for a dis calmer i have ridden the axis and the 16 doo you can't go wrong with any of them. IMO the poo is built a little more on the shorter life span of durability verses weight.
flame away.... just my 02

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
I had a Bm fab front bumper on my pro and wrecked it on a tree. Replaced it with a skinz and I do not like it at all. The Bm was way easier to remove the pipe if needed and way easier to get two sets of hands on for those times your really stuck. Honestly I think I am going to take my skinz bumper off this summer and replace with another bm.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
You could probably ride it stock and be happy.

Based soley on what i've read and the little that i've seen I would certainly be doing something with the shocks and aarms. Revalve or different springs, and aftermarket a arms. $500 or less each.

After seeing broken steering blocks on a couple of pros this year (maybe the axys ones are better) I would be getting a set of oft blocks. $150ish for all 3? I had them on a previous sled and they were great.

Tether is a must IMO. $50

Rear bumper if the sled has a carbon fiber one. B&M seems nice, and you normally dont have to wait months to get one like from the other company who I wont name. $150-$200

I would get a can for sure, crazy not to IMO for the amount of weight you lose for so little $$.

Stock skis are good. Stock gearing and clutching is generally good on Poos, maybe not so much with the 3", dont know. Everyone has a different opinion on belt drive vs chaincase. Personally I have owned both and cant tell a difference. If the sled didnt come with one I probably would go through the time(not that bad) and money to have one. I do like that it is one less place with fluid, and track changes become a breeze. I would buy a Tki if I was gonna get one, made here in the US and Tom is suppose to be great to work with.

Not sure on tunnel bracing, I would get whatever is easiest to install if you are set on having it. Have never worried about it on any of my Pro's but heck, cheap insurance I suppose.

I have pretty much hated any tunnel storage I have ever had, stuff alway gets soaked, comes open, or falls off. I am going to install some carriage bolts and a pelican case on my tunnel, hopefully will be a more reliable and cheaper option than anything currently available.

My 2cents. Enjoy, I have truely loved all 4 pros I have had over the last 5 years. Every brand has its issues, but I have found the pros to far out weigh the cons on these sleds. They are so enjoyable to ride.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Thanks Hamlin that's what I was looking for! I thought the Skinz looked like it had enough area to get a good hold of but maybe I should try and find a B&M one around these parts to have a closer look at.

Kiliki - I'm not trying to start a debate but I'll bite. Over 100 sleds sold each year and we mighta had 3 come in w a scuffed piston over the span of a single sled year. As we all know a scuffed piston can be a few different things, like our sales manager running the demo out of oil, or snow ingestion in the intake. The last one was on a turboed sled and he cold seized it.

I'm asking opinions on my new RMK, not looking to debate reliability of each of the OEM's.

I have turbos, bigbores and sleds on nitrous already in the garage. I'm looking for something fairly stock and reliable. Hence the reason I don't wanna talk about bigbores or turbos with this sled. Not just yet anyways.

Sent from my Throne using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Something else I forgot, I'm not a huge fan of the Pro Tapers either. Has anyone swapped them out for a set of CFR bars and risers? I'll ride it as is but wasn't comfortable Rodin my friends' sleds here and there.

Last edited:

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
I have a 17 174" LE on order and these are the parts I have ready to install.All these IMHO make the sled better and more reliable.
Zbros 36" a arms
C&A Bx skis
B&M fab LE running boards
Mtntek Blow hole
Fire & ice tunnel brace
Sled solutions E series 24" tunnel bag.
Also going to do a rear bumper either a B&M fab or a Isled bumper.

Now my extras that are not needed but I'm adding.
Silber external turbo kit 10lbs on pump
Kmod rear skid.

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
From everything I have read this is my must have list for a 2017 162LE.

37" KMOD front end kit (uses stock shocks)
Raptor TRS spring kit
B&M Fab LE boards if they make them for next season.
SLP pipe kit
Extra cross bar in rear skid

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I'll address these as I remember.

I forgot these don't come with a tether. Absolutely I'll be installing one. No brainer there.

I forgot about Fire & Ice. I'll look some stuff up there.

I've made my own versions of the blowholes with a $20 bilge fan before, I have a few ideas already for this one.

As for tunnel storage, while I concur that most tunnel storage is wet before noon, I was hoping someone came out with something fairly low profile and waterproof for us. The days of carrying 50lbs on the back are gone. Only the essentials nowadays and that still equates to a 25lb bag at least. And since underhood storage is a thing from ten years ago I'm gonna hafta figure something out. I'd be interested in a Pelican case but was looking for something at maximum 6-8" tall. Kinda like the BCA tunnel bag or Cat spare shovel bags. I was hoping the Burandt bag would fit the bill.

The more I read the more I'm talking myself into some bottom a-arms. ZBros all the way or are there other options without having to replace the whole front end?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
See if I can answer some of the questions and rebuttals.

The new Burandt turtle looking tunnel "bags" are very nice. I think they should keep things dry too I don't remember. I have buddies with that bag, and they love it.

I have a Pro, not Axys.. But ride with Axys. They really don't need much.

Tether... Yes
Cutches ... We send to IndyDan for prep. Make sure alignment and deflection is good.
Cooling.. No need. New Axys are like the Doo's.
Bumpers... I prefer BM fab. Rock solid. Front bumper gives you more room to grab.
Vents... Intakes are good. Blow hole works well. Would waste time in other vents.
Ski's.... Grippers work awesome. Replace stock carbides with some Woodys hard bars. I had CA BX. They are sweet. I think the Grippers roll easier, less steering effort.
A arms... Your choice
Shocks... Keep the stockers and run TRSs valving. It works. Run his clutching too. :face-icon-small-ton
Belt drive... TKI, no question.

Boards... The tube boards are nice. Stock is sufficient. If you go to tube try to get a shorter version.
Power adders.... Your choice. IndyDan makes a nice head that works.

Is that it?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Don't you know forums are a bad place to go for advice when asking how to spend your money! Ha, well, a tether and skid plate is a must, the stock bumpers and a arms are garbage (pick your poison), stock shocks leave a lot on the table, but Stock clutching, cooling, gearing, belt drive, etc. work fine. No need for venting or tunnel reinforcements (big improvement over the pro). Cleanfire injection shoots fuel into transfer ports, air into bottom end. Not much fuel (or premixed fuel/oil for that matter) would ever reach the bottom end. Not possible with this motor. Hope that helps. Working on riding skills>Working on your sled adding useless mods!

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Shock revalve is the best thing i have done. Pipe was a nice improvment. The sled is great in stock form

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I need to take the BM fab boards off my axys this summer and powder coat them semi gloss or gloss. The flat matte black on them now causes way too much ice buildup on them compared to the semi gloss BM boards on my proclimb. I was not a fan of the stock boards.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
Shocks or a revale if over 220 lbs. / a-arms 36" 37" 39" all up to you / a pipe and can makes about 8hp and lose 10-15 lbs. Depends on the can / something for clutching the axys belt is very hard glazes easy then slips / bumpers b&m for sure. Only thing that is a must Imo is the a-arms and just the lowers if on a budget.

N

NWaxys

Feb 28, 2016
Eastern WA back country
Before anything id decide if you plan to turbo? The axys is awesome on boost and I own two. One is on pump gas 5lbs 2.6 belt drive and other is 3" chain at 7 lbs.. The last one my buddy had got 3000 miles w minimal work. Silber kit!!!

At any rate don't get caught up in belt drive I really don't notice much difference between mine. Decide on power mods then build your clutch and suspension around it.. I run z bros 36" front and exit shocks and it's night and day. K mod is the skid. I did brace tunnel front and rear just because of safety. I don't like pro tapers so I'm on fly next level bars and my skis are C&A bx of course. My pump gas axys is getting swapped from 39" front to 36 " soon big improvement!

hamlin

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2013
For you guys wondering about tunnel storage that stays dry maybe check out giant loop moto. I have the smaller of the two they make. They might not be the coolest looking but everything stays dry in mine in any snow condition, the straps they make are pretty handy also

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I left one very, very important thing out. Break it in properly. It's more for the drive belt than anything else.

Switch the clutch belt to the Gates.

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Good info guys. The list grows but I will keep some things on the back burner until I get a few hundred miles on her. Then decide where the rest of the money is going.

So far what I should be gathering up right now is;

Tether
B&M Bumpers front and rear
TRS Springs for sure
E-Series Backcountry Bag
Fire & Ice Intake and tunnel braces
An Exhaust combo of some brand for sure
NXT LXL Windshield Bag
Skidplate
Softer Drivebelt
Richen the oil pump a tad
My own version of a blowhole

What I'll be putting on the back burner for now is;

Skis
Handlebars
Beltdrive
Zbros 36" front end
B&M Running Boards
IceAge Rails

That's the list for now but I'll keep updating it as I hear more opinions. I might swap some things out simply because I gotta be able to sell the products I put on this thing and some companies and the crappy CND dollar make it hard to buy over the border.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
Good info guys. The list grows but I will keep some things on the back burner until I get a few hundred miles on her. Then decide where the rest of the money is going.

So far what I should be gathering up right now is;

Tether
B&M Bumpers front and rear
TRS Springs for sure
E-Series Backcountry Bag
Fire & Ice Intake and tunnel braces
An Exhaust combo of some brand for sure
NXT LXL Windshield Bag
Skidplate
Softer Drivebelt
Richen the oil pump a tad
My own version of a blowhole

What I'll be putting on the back burner for now is;

Skis
Handlebars
Beltdrive
Zbros 36" front end
B&M Running Boards
IceAge Rails

That's the list for now but I'll keep updating it as I hear more opinions. I might swap some things out simply because I gotta be able to sell the products I put on this thing and some companies and the crappy CND dollar make it hard to buy over the border.
How do you plan on adjusting the oil pump? Its electric now

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Premium Features