• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Dragon Front Bumper

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Hey MH, I don't spose you might wanna go over one more time what you had to do to get this to work on your 9 do ya? :eek:

I still wanna do this to mine It's just that I wanna make sure I know what all it entails before I drop the cash to order it ... I can probably get somone with a steadier hand than mine to help with the cutting, but I figured I'd ask ya all the same ...

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Trade Ya'

MH, I'll email you the pics as soon as I get home, in exchange for the secret of how to do it myself,.........deal? I'm just about to take a hammer to my computer........Bagger.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Bagger,

no trick...

You just go to www.photobucket.com

open a free account and use the "insert image " button above where you want to put the photo. Just cut and paste the image location [Direct link] from the photobucket site.

When you do it this way, the photos appear much larger and don't need a link or thumbnail... they appear full size.
I'll still help post if you need it.

Boomshaw

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2007
San Jose, California
Weight of bumper...

Anyone know the weight of this bumper? I recently lost the bumper, nose pan, and left and right fenders on two 2006 RMK 700s. Thinking about adding this bumper to each since I now have to buy all this plastic but I really like the look of not cutting away the fenders. Wondering how much weight is saved or gained by not removing all the plastic the instructions say to.

Also, do the instructions say to remove the nose pan? Does the TCP bumper come with an upper aluminum sheet or something to close off the engine compartment if you do remove the nose pan? Anyone got some more detailed pictures of these issues? Thanks!

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Anyone know the weight of this bumper? I recently lost the bumper, nose pan, and left and right fenders on two 2006 RMK 700s. Thinking about adding this bumper to each since I now have to buy all this plastic but I really like the look of not cutting away the fenders. Wondering how much weight is saved or gained by not removing all the plastic the instructions say to.

Also, do the instructions say to remove the nose pan? Does the TCP bumper come with an upper aluminum sheet or something to close off the engine compartment if you do remove the nose pan? Anyone got some more detailed pictures of these issues? Thanks!

not sure on the weight but my buddies have them installed and yes there is a panel that seals out the lements
the whole system looks real slick just like yamaha front end to bad polaris didnt do it like this in the beginning

W
Dec 7, 2007
As an owner of a new Dragon, I saw this thread and will admit I skipped about three pages worth of posts.

The individual who makes these bumpers for Tri-City is a personal friend of mine. Friendship aside, he is a phenomenal welder and fabricator. He's a true craftsman who is very meticulous. His work, from concept and design, through prototype and production, is simply outstanding. Personally, I dream of having his talent and his skill.

Having said that, and as much as I'd like to have one, I find the installed price of this bumper to be just too much for me to stomach. I'm going to try the stock setup and see how well that works first.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Alright, after a fist hand experience, I can comfortably say that the front bumper assemblies on the IQ do absolutely nothing and are not designed for impact absorption like some have asserted. Hitting a four inch diameter stump going at most 15mph the front end exploded and squished my hood up like an IQR. Thankfully these hoods are quite flexible. The front exploding that that is bs. I hit three trees with my Edge going faster and it never anything and I’ve seen my brother’s sled go flying down a hill in to a tree twice with no more than a scratch. (See youtube.com/lpidaho. The very end of the main video)
I’m going to try what Banger did with his kit; I like the look much better. Until then I’ve pulled a Red Green and used duct tape.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
Here's mine!

Well just got done with my install of the TCP bumper.
It took quite a while but if you look at the pictures you'll know why.
I had two problems.
1. The plate did not fit correctly on the clutch side.
2. I can't figure out how to hook up the hood straps to keep the hood from falling open. Any help?

The tape is just there to hold stuff together while the glue dries.
Also Should I try to cover the gaps left in the back by the a-arms?

Finally, what do you think?
http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/lpidaho/Bumper/

P2260006.jpg

P2260008.jpg

Last edited:
C

cwsm1000

Dec 16, 2007
I installed the bumper on my 08 800 dragon yesterday - took just a whee bit longer than expected. I didn't follow the cutting directions - left more of the side panels - thought it looks better. Finally got the bumper screwed into the bulkhead and when I put on the hood - the alignment was off. Had too take everything back off and put in the provided spacers.

The large black metal cover was also tough to deal with - it didn't fit exact. Also - once the the hood was back on - I had trouble getting the nose cone plastic space fillers (riveted) to fit. I left the right side of the sled open, as the small filler didn't cover that side. I'm going to check with TriCity to see if they have a fix.

Overall I love the strength of the bumper - think TriCity could provide more detailed instructions with pics. If it wasn't for this forum I would have given up!!! It took me about 4.5 hours - half of which I was filling the swearing jar!

C

cwsm1000

Dec 16, 2007
By the way - the name cwsm1000 - orginally M1000 rider. Totalled it out 2 weeks ago, rented a 700 dragon and was hooked! Bought the Dragon 3 days ago - road for 30 miles on Friday and loved it. Goodbye Cat - Hello Polaris! Look forward to stompin the XP's next week.

Dec 28, 2007
Terrace, BC
Hey cwsm 1000, could you post a few pics of how you did'nt cut the fenders like the instructions say too...........I'm just in the process of installing mine and don't want to cut out the fenders either.

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Hey cwsm 1000, could you post a few pics of how you did'nt cut the fenders like the instructions say too...........I'm just in the process of installing mine and don't want to cut out the fenders either.

I didn't take pics, but I didn't cut the fenders out either. When you take apart the nose, the front center piece looks like a square bucket with the slanted front. This is the piece that I trimmed to fit the triangular bumper skid plate. Instead of cutting up the front vent, I just siliconed some plastic where the vents were since there is only a small triangle piece left.
I got to ride this w/e and ran over a couple 2" trees w/o a mark on the sled.

I agree that the instructions could be done better

MURFDOG

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2008
TCP bumpers are worth the price to me. Put one on a week ago after bumping into a little tree boondocking, had taken out the bumper,nose pan and vent, the cost diff was only about a 110 bucks. Ended up in a high speed descent this weekend and got to try it out on a 3 foot spruce, lost an a-arm but the bumper saved the rest of the front end. Great product IMHO!

B
Jan 21, 2008
Snow build up

I went with a group of guys to pinedale wy for 3 days. One of them had this bumper and it kept building up snow on the front. Cold, windy, tons of powder. Looked frustrating to me...we relized once ice forms on the metal it starts to build up. 6" to 8" of build up some times

Premium Features