• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

MTNTK turbo

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Wow Turbos are sooo much more fun :)
Putting this MTNTK turbo through its paces and to the test running pump gas at 8#'s about 800 miles trouble and worry free :)
Things an absolute beast no lag pulls hard and oh so nice not having to bring a drum of av or race gas with me :)

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Saw your vid on FB, before it came over here... VERY NICE!!!! I wish there was a way for us flatlanders to test ride before spending about the same as a new sled.

How did you pick Mntek? You have no heard much about them his year. Maybe its the lack of snow, haven't heard much about anyone. What did you have before.

Again nice vid!!!!!!!!!!!!

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
sweet :face-icon-small-hap

what elv. you running at ?
thanks

at 4:32 it looks like a stock track

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nice vid thanks.... Sounds like a good running fun sled with great rider riding it like it should be ridden:cool:

C

cycles sleds

Aug 1, 2011
great vid love the mtn teck kits true turn key our clients love them run one my self flaless

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
How did you pick Mntek? You have no heard much about them his year. Maybe its the lack of snow, haven't heard much about anyone. What did you have before.

Research on here I didn't see anything I didn't like a few bobbles here and there all related to using stock injectors which MTNTK very quickly solved with bigger injectors and tune update some emails/facebook chats with a guy or two who have them, gathered all my info from that then called and talked to Shawn from MTNTK a very smart guy/mechanic not a salesman, it was obvious he was pretty far ahead of other kits when it came to using bullydog and stock oil system between him and others there were a lot of miles on these kits already. Simple install simple kit so to speak not a bunch of crap all over the place.

I had a stock motor 13 pro with stock track/skid as well.
Your probably not hearing much about them becuase as far as I can tell these guys are workers/testers/riders not marketers and social media type people. They're either working testing or just riding. There are a lot of Canada guys with their kits seem bigger on snowandmud forum but bottom line to is you dont hear about them cause they're working :)

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
great news have you riden with any other brands running simialar boost ?
NOT TRYING TO START A PISSING MATCH ! (please don't start folks)
did you notice it being quieter than other brands ?
if you have the boost to high for the fuel and elv. are the factory safety systems working to warn you and shut it down (hope that makes sense)
thanks

J

jhurkot

Nov 26, 2007
Revelstoke, BC
Having owned a turbo in the past I would say the main draw of this kit is simplicity. No fuel box button pushing, no oil tank/pump for the turbo, and PUMP FUEL!! From the video it looks really responsive and fun! Most of the threads regarding this kit are positive which is remarkable in itself. One question though, how is mtntks clutching? Belt life comparable to stock?

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
I would say my MTNTK turbo runs just like the video. The throttle response is as good or better than stock. It's been a crap snow year and I haven't been riding as much as normal so still waiting to give her a deep snow workout. I have done some long pulls and didn't notice any fade. From a spectator point of view the sled seems no louder than stock. It sounds different but not loud. However, from the cockpit I find it quite loud. Especially when riding at moderate speed. I added the FirenIce air intake so this may be contributing to the noise when standing over the bars (the air box in the hood is gutted per MTNTK instructions). But I think it is the exhaust. For it's size there really isn't much inside the muffler. I can't comment on the supplied clutching as I already had a Tied secondary and have been doing my own thing getting that dialed.

When first touching the throttle after a hot restart I sometimes get a light bog. This is only on the first touch, once under way never a hiccup, and only sometimes. There is another thread about breaking Y-pipe springs, I have gone through four so far. I'm running 25% AV gas and the highest boost I've seen so far is 7# when at 8000'. I could probably safely turn it up some.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
Exhaust noise is very comparable to a hps can on a stock sled. From my point of view and others said about the same.
Factory safety's are intact so yes but not something I'll be testing lol
Mtntk's clutching is just a orange primary, washers and 10 series weights stock secondary I'm sure there's a lot more you could get playing around for personal preferences but I haven't been riding a sled long enough to give good details of how a clutch setup feels (4th season ever riding), all I know is it works. I did run pure Avgas 12#'s and just added primary weight one day still felt great to me. But like I said inexperienced so...
Sled has Mtntk's blowhole on it lost first belt at about 700 miles of all riding like the video, it blew on a deep day, long climb/incline...very little trail miles in those 700

I haven't broke any y-pipe springs and I'd definitely turn up that boost JMCX to 8#'s @WOT

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Okay I'll be that guy, I've got to ask, have you guys with the MTNTK kit had your sled next to another turbo to compare? The only reason I ask is every video I have seen they look like they run really well but almost kinda stockish like power. I mean MTNTK's own vid on there site that sled looks like it can barely get out of its own way.

Please don't take it the wrong way (not trying to start a pissing match) I am just honestly curious what your guys thoughts are. I am interested in this kit for my next sled just because of the price point and simplicity, I am getting sick of the price of some these kits, you have them installed and there double the money of this kit, its ridiculous. But worried I'd be disappointed with the power

Ricks if this is only your 4th season riding holy crap thats impressive:face-icon-small-coo

D
Nov 14, 2013
My question is the 8lbs on pump? Is this possible because of the 10k ft elevation? 6lbs on pump = det in my limited turbo world experience (7k ft.)
I am leaning towards in my experience at least the difference between a intercooled and non-intercooled setup. HM claims 15% difference in power levels running the same boost level...

S

sno-addict

Oct 21, 2008
Okay I'll be that guy, I've got to ask, have you guys with the MTNTK kit had your sled next to another turbo to compare? The only reason I ask is every video I have seen they look like they run really well but almost kinda stockish like power. I mean MTNTK's own vid on there site that sled looks like it can barely get out of its own way.

Please don't take it the wrong way (not trying to start a pissing match) I am just honestly curious what your guys thoughts are. I am interested in this kit for my next sled just because of the price point and simplicity, I am getting sick of the price of some these kits, you have them installed and there double the money of this kit, its ridiculous. But worried I'd be disappointed with the power

Ricks if this is only your 4th season riding holy crap thats impressive:face-icon-small-coo

I have not had my MTNTK Pro against another turbo Pro but I did run my old 09 HCR 163 Boondocker PG M8 next to it. Both on 7 pounds and the Pro walks all over it. Beats it up the hill by a length or two..I used to whip up on other turbo sleds with the M8. I can tell you that the power is not "stockish" it's almost instantaneous and pulls hard all the way through. But I do agree that their video makes it look horrible, but their tuning has came a long way. And remember most guys are only running the PG kit. There is an 500$ option to make it a RG kit. It may not be a VOHK tuned Boondocker kit but for the money and the power and no box to mess with just pull and go, I am very pleased.

rick5150

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2012
mpls
....have you guys with the MTNTK kit had your sled next to another turbo to compare?....kinda stockish like power. I mean MTNTK's own vid on there site that sled looks like it can barely get out of its own way.....

lol I couldnt agree more, that was a big hesitation for me, every MTNTK video I watched flat out wasn't that impressive and or just bad video (hopefully mine will help that out) a few talks with riders who had it with stock injecters then went to bigger ones with a new tune put my mind at ease (the dif). MTNTK should update their own video since now they're using bigger injectors and a much better tune but like I said I think they're just busy working lol

I have not ran against another turbo, you'd have to kinda take it with a grain of salt as well so to speak. Hard to find another pump gas non-intercooled turbo to run against or see any videos of (I see vohk's got one going now though) I've rode with some slp and big bores but to many variables shorter tracks different brands etc. A 10-12# setup intercooled or not should pretty easily hand it to a pump gas 8#s be interesting to see regardless though. I know when I went just from 6-8#'s on mine it was one hell of a difference. Keep in mind, every other turbo company does secondary clutching im guessing mtntk doesnt for simplicity and keep cost down?? I'm sure their could be some gains there for the appearance of more power?

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Apples to apples, all things being equal. IE: rider, track, snow conditions and level of boost, I would have to believe that they perform pretty close to a similar set up machine. Of course lower air temps in an intercooled machine would likely deliver more power, but you get what you pay for. The simplicity and the throttle response, along with no guages needed, just gives me piece of mind. It is a total sleeper and runs like a stocker. LOVE IT.
Clean and tidy install, and nothing scary to look at when you open the hood like my old BD M8. Longer reed life, short boost tubes, quick spooling, and I can still run my cooker and toolkit beside the chaincase. Lotsa likes for sure.

photo 1.JPG

Last edited:

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Thanks guys it'd be fun to throw a leg over one, wish a guy could ride every kit before he bought lol

Sorry for the bad rep Ricks I fat fingered my phone

Premium Features