• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 nytro mtx turbo mcx 270

N
Nov 9, 2013
hi everyone im new to this 4 stroke turbo Yamaha world but I just picked up a 2008 Yamaha mtx nytro and it has the mcx 270 kit just wondering what other people thought of the kit on how they like it and will I be ok with just running premium fuel in it? its running at 12 pounds of boost and I was wondering what kind of speeds I should be reaching with it Ive only hit like 95 and the guy before said he had it around 130 not sure if that right or am I doing something wrong or should change? and one last thing the guy said he took it out west and also rode it around Duluth mn and now im in central wi do I have to do anything with the calibration of it or just turn down the clutch? it has the shockwave clutch.. some input would be greatly appreciated thank you!!

M
Jan 14, 2004
The 270 kit should be running at 17lbs at elevation and probably 14ish at sea level, somebody at sea level jump in here, at 12 lbs you are only making about 220 horse so your clutching is probably way off if it's set up for 17 lbs. It's never a good idea to adjust your clutching via the secondary. The sled needs to pull about 8800 rpms. First off get the boost where it needs to be. You may have some exhaust leaks which would account for the low boost numbers. There may also be some leaks on the compressor side of the system, check that too. Make sure all that is good before you start chasing your tail. If the boost is just set to low you will need to shorten the actuator rod on the turbo itself. The rod needs in the area of 1/16th to 1/8th inch of preload, maybe a bit more. How many miles on the kit/sled. Pump premium is all you should need

IMO the MCX kit by which all others are measure when it comes to reliability, they all make power, some have less lag, but by in large the MCX kit is bullet proof.

I'm sure some other MCX fans will chime in.

M5

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
The sleds have a rev limiter which is set around 9300 or around there. Then it's a matter of clutching and gearing and boost. The MTX Is not made for all out speed. Most mountain sleds are geared down anyway because you are on and off the throttle all the time and need low end grunt

N
Nov 9, 2013
ok it seems to run good and it pretty quick but the guy before me said he had it up to around 120ish mph and im no where near that so that's why I was curious what I had to do to get that. I just talked to a mcx dealer and he told me that I should be running around 12 pounds at 1400ft and it should be making right around 270 does that seem right? how hard are these to gear up? and what is an est. cost?

M
Jan 14, 2004
My MCX sleds don't vary much from 2000 feet to 7000 feet, probably about 2 lbs, so 12 is at least 2 and probably 3 lbs too low, so IMO your dealer is wrong. That said you'll be hard pressed to make any MTX go 130 mph and frankly why would you want to? Sounds like maybe you might be after the trail version of the Nytro?

M5

Y

yamahajohnson220

Jan 4, 2008
IMO the MCX kit by which all others are measure when it comes to reliability, they all make power, some have less lag, but by in large the MCX kit is bullet proof.

I'm sure some other MCX fans will chime in.

M5[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more

prototype69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2007
Belgrade,MT
Speed racer.

M5 is right on IMO. If you have a stock mtx your gearing is 20/40 which gives you sled the abilty to do 110+ depending on your clutching. If you wanna race F-15s take it to 21/40 and throw some weight at it. Hope you get what your looking for.

N
Nov 9, 2013
alright thanks for all the help and just wondering how does the mcx 270 kit compare to a push turbo kit like speed, acc., how much power does that kit make?

N
Nov 9, 2013
I run 15lbs of boost at 2000' on premium and 17lbs above 5000' on the same fuel. My sled will hit about 95 mph with stock gearing on the flats. 60-70 mph track speed when climbing. I have 162" 2.5 camo extreme track.

how many miles have you been boosted and ever have any problems with it?

R

ROBERTSONYAMAHA

Oct 28, 2010
Swift Current,SK
Nytromtxmcx270 i think the sled you bought probably wasn't designed to do 130mph. did the guy you bought it from maybe mean 130kmh if it was a mtn sled because in the mountains that would be the track speeds we might almost reach climbing (a little hight but still) just wondering if it was a miscommunication. I'm guessing track length is 153 or 162 with a paddle. Might want to look at taller gearing and shorter track or at least cutting down the lugs a bit if your main thing is speed. at 2000 feet you should be doing about 15-16lbs boost. once you get to 6-7000feet probably expect 17-18lbs. hope it all works out for you and you get things figured out. MCX makes absolute bulletproof turbo kits. We have done about 100 of them. Welcome to the boost club!!! :) - Cody

Premium Features