• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking at an 07 rev...what are the pros and cons?

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Im looking at a 07 rev, coming off a 95 cat 580. Right now I dont really go offtrial but i would like to get into backcountry steep and deep. Im about 150 lbs the sled is listed for 5500CAD, heres a description of whats done to it "I am selling my 07 800 151 Rev to make room for my new one. The engine was rebuilt last season Top and Bottom end. New crank and pistons. Runs great . New clutch, stinger, rage cage power pack, tunnel jerry can, Includes Ski doo travel cover. 5500.00 obo." It has 2139 kms.

I am thinking of taking to to the local doo dealer for a full once over, coming from old sleds and quads i really dont have a desire to always be working on machines instead of riding anymore. I understand everything requires maintenance, i am just not a fan of wrenching more than riding anymore.

Thanks,

Gavin

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Looks like 'most' of the items have been covered. One thing you need to confirm is the case bore......have the cases been clearanced to proper spec's? That is the biggest issue that plagued a of of the 07 800R's.

Old mtn. man

Premium Member
Dec 20, 2012
S.W. Alberta
`07 sled

A couple of years ago when I was looking for a used sled I looked in a lot of places, Kijiji and other sites. I seen a lot of `07, 800`s for sale, and some really nice ones, and wondered why??? So I talked to some buddies, local sled builders ,some dealers and two mountain engine builders that I know very well (one who is a well known builder and a rep. for boondocker) and they all said the same thing. `07`s HAVE A BAD ENGINE, AND STAY AWAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. That's why there were so many for sale at such a good price. I have been a ski-doo fan since `87 and that's what I will own until I can`t ride any more. Take it for what it`s worth, just be aware.:gossip:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
A couple of years ago when I was looking for a used sled I looked in a lot of places, Kijiji and other sites. I seen a lot of `07, 800`s for sale, and some really nice ones, and wondered why??? So I talked to some buddies, local sled builders ,some dealers and two mountain engine builders that I know very well (one who is a well known builder and a rep. for boondocker) and they all said the same thing. `07`s HAVE A BAD ENGINE, AND STAY AWAY IF AT ALL POSSIBLE. That's why there were so many for sale at such a good price. I have been a ski-doo fan since `87 and that's what I will own until I can`t ride any more. Take it for what it`s worth, just be aware.:gossip:

It's got a new motor....

We had problems with 07's when under 1000km. Over that and they were like any other Doo motor....had to be replaced when they blew or 3000km. Whichever came first. You're looking at a solid sled. Pull the trigger.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
make sure it has the crank/case updated
if not walk away
if so they are great sleds cheapest mountain/carving sled to buy
let it snow

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
The sled works great. As long as the crank has been updated then the sled is amazing. Coming from the sled you are currently on, you will think you are in heaven. Buy it.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
I went to look at it thursday, and i asked the guy to take it to the local dealer on saturday for them to go through it for me (he said he was going to take it there anyway to let them sell it) so i gave him a deposit of $500 to not sell it and i told him if all is well well talk numbers. I called/emailed him yesterday (friday) and today. To let him know i was out getting firewood, he never answered though :(. im hoping hes just out of range or something and i didnt just lose 500$. I do know where he lives but I cant really do much with that info.

Anyway, I hope he gets back to me and the sled checks out so i can get it! He told me he bought it last season and the PO told him the updates were done under warranty, they werent and it blew up on his second ride so he rebuilt it all he seemed very knowledgeable about the sled Im really hoping this doesnt go sour

A
Dec 19, 2011
just run the vin number to see what updates have been done. the 07s did have problems with the cranks/cases. my 07 144 blew up at 700km. (warranty)

pretty much any 07 rev that is still on the snow left its teething problems behind 6years ago. They are great sleds.

tips*
get the primary balanced, they are terrible in stock form, it will save your crank in the long run. or if you have the coin do a polaris p85 clutch on your doo, its crazy difference.

c&t bearing buddy on the clutch side, keeps that bearing from melting down like more 800rs do.

clutch kit is a huge help on the stock primary and secondary, makes it an entirely different animal (rooster built or djs kit)

remove the injection system and premix, your motor life will be increased, more consistent running and many lbs in weight loss.

07 rev is still a killer chassis in the deep.

Last edited:

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
The track on the X package was horrible
Not true. Is it the best option available? No. Not by far. Some people hated this track but it can work with some suspension and clutch tuning. I know because I did it, as well as others. It just takes some time and patience, unless you have the money laying around to drop on a new track.

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
Its a 151. Those tracks you can p/u at a good price. The challenger light track that came on 07 is a stiff lug track. Colorado sugar no it wont work well. Search around on here and read what mods others have done to make it work for THEM.
Cutting the back side half way down to cutting slits in it to get it to lay over a lil so it won't trench so bad.

Last edited:
G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
got the invoice from the dealer

so heres what the dealer said "ski leg bushings worn, frame has been replaced in the past..hood mount broken, belt cord pulling out..comp is 125pto (normal) and 110 mag(low) indiciating motor may not yet be broken in as customer had rebuilt it late last season, track has normal wear, acc power is at 12v (normal)"

I talked to the service manager he showed me what the ski bushings are they dont look like there to hard to replace and he quoted me about $76. As far as the comp goes he said it could be because the sled sat all summer.

I talked to the seller he told me the same thing about the pistons although he said there still within the limits, he said the belt cord was pulling out so he reversed it. And as far as the tunnel goes he said he bought a salvage sled from saksatchewan and swapped the parts from it. He also said he has 800 miles on the rebuild, and it does have boyesen rage cage reeds to eliminate the rubber boot.

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
hmmm.... doesn't sound very clean that kinda sucks
things to keep in mind the little stuff adds up !
my buddy bought a 07 rev and it needed a bunch of little things done
he will end up with a great sled but he's now put $1,200 more into it
ie: clutch work,braces,belts,bushings etc.:mmph:

so keep that stuff in mind if its a screaming deal then you can fix it up and
it'll be awesome but if not
HOLD OUT for a clean one
like my other buddy just sold his 07 for $4,650 with a brand new motor
cover,boss seat,extra belt,floats,alt Arms and it was super cherry
the nice ones are out there good luck
let it snow

Last edited:
G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
Ya I think I'll hold out till I find something in Bette r condition I'm going to look at an o6 rev today has 300km on the top end and new primary, New carbide s and 151 non ported track looks like it is in pretty good condition from the pictures...how long doo bottom end usually last in the hos?

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
You can really put a tag on the miles a bottom end can take. My 07 which is known for being junk has gone 3200 miles. Ive done multiple top ends and had to get the case welded twice but so far the crank has held up. Knock on wood. That price for the 07 is steep. My 07 with that many miles and a salvage title I think is worth maybe the 2000-1500 dollar range.

M

mtsummitx

Nov 26, 2007
Billings, MT
x2 with newduck. I'm not exactly sure what 5500 canadian converts to in US dollars, but sounds extremely steep, especially for the condition you describe. I picked up an 08 this spring that had 2000 miles on chassis, about 700 miles on motor for $4700.00 US. Keep looking, and be patient a little while longer, there will be alot of used sleds out there when guys start getting their 14's picked up.

G

gdhillon

Nov 29, 2012
Prince George BC
thanks for the input guys i will wait. I did find a 06 800 ho, its got 6200 kms and 300 kms on a new top end. It also has a new clutch, newer skid and track (nonported) newer carbides. It started on the first pull hesitated a bit and died then on the second pull it fired up ran rough then smoothed out (full choke). The guy wants 4500CAD for it, i will take it to the dealer hopefully friday to get it checked out. The only issue the fellow said is when you switch to reverse it stalls sometimes.

4500CAd is 4300USD, also i have noticed sleds, vehicles pretty much everything is cheaper the farther south you go. Compared to Canada atleast

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
sweet:face-icon-small-coo some say the 06 is the best rev does it have any goodies ?
how many miles on the chassis ? check the carb boots !
let it snow

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
There are good deals out there to be had. Just be patient and do your research. I picked up my 2007 last year with 1100 miles for $3200 :D. You just have to look around and you will eventually find a good deal.

Premium Features