• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Adding a fuel filter from fuel pressure reg. to the carbs. Your opinions plz?

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
What's your opinion of installing an extra fuel filter into the fuel supply line that goes to the carbs on a 2009 Summit 800r?

I had my sled get a clog in the pilot jet and I'm assuming it was from some junk that may have gotten sucked into the fule line from the tank. I thought this would be better to avoid having to drain and pull the tank to replace or re-attach the filter. It would be easy enough to install and then it would be really fast and trouble free to maintain.

Keep in mind I do have a bigger line running from the fuel pressure regulator to the carbs since I have a turbo installed.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
throw a little $5 clear lawnmower filter between tank and pump and be done with it. putting it after pump/reg just puts you a smaller less risk. put it first and your good to go, everything is getting clean gas.

G
Apr 23, 2008
the correct method is between the pump and regulator. clear plastic is a no no UNLESS its designed for up to 30 psi of pressure.

its always nice to know the filter is leak free and you are getting a clean solid fuel flow. SUCKING thru the filter is a no no unless you have a very large micron filter. prefiltering causes air to drawn into the fuel and mystery lean issues will follow along with inconsistent fuel flow.

kids just dont have the knowledge needed for turbos, the internet and monkey see monkey doo kit builders dont even pick up the phone and ask the pump manufacuterer what THEY WANT with THEIR PUMPS..NONE of the filters used by any kit builder are even close to correct.

towing in another burned down aero torch was fun last sat, owner said the tow was the best it ran since the first burndown..lmao

slug

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
i agree with gus here. dont put a small filter in before the fuel pump. Because there will be a day when that fuel filter will be pluged. you will think you havr fuel adjusted right but nothing is getting to the fuel pump. You will not be able see the fuel filter if it is pluged.

I always error to the side of having to much fuel. so whatever it takes to do that. Is where you want to make a move.

:face-icon-small-hap

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
So I did put one in the line going to the carbs. It was the only place I could put one and be able to see it. It was a clear filter. And then I saw both later comments. I asked the Carquest guy for a metal filter but he said this is what he had. I will have to check what psi it is rated for but for 3.50 I think I can find a metal filter.

What do either of you suggest?

Premium Features