• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

lights and gauges shutting off?????

B
Dec 3, 2011
Northeast Iowa
Was out for a ride last night and every once and awhile the lights and gauges would shut off and it would act like it was restarting and then it would run fine for awhile and do it again It never did shut completely off though. Any ideas???? Thanks

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Is it idling really slow at the times it happens? If so, is it when the engine is cold (after a lunch break or something) or just at random?

TPS sensor adjustment would be the first thing I would check, it can cause a low idle and trip off the Chassis Power Relay below about 900 RPM.

B
Dec 3, 2011
Northeast Iowa
Is it idling really slow at the times it happens? If so, is it when the engine is cold (after a lunch break or something) or just at random?

TPS sensor adjustment would be the first thing I would check, it can cause a low idle and trip off the Chassis Power Relay below about 900 RPM.

It just happens randomly when riding when I'm partial throttle or sometimes when I wud hit a bump sometimes not.
OK il have to try and get a tool or make one thanks

SixtySevenGT

Premium Member
Mar 25, 2008
Middleton, Idaho
Find the Big Brown Wire

The Big Brown Wire in the Connector Below the Pipe is the Major ground to the Headlights and other Dash Assessories.

It gets corroded, everything goes dark.

I bypassed mine out side the connector with a seperate bullet connector.

H

High Velocity

Nov 27, 2007
Hinton, Alberta
I had a problem on my '06 that caused the identical symptoms. After much searching, it turned out to be a shorted-out hand warmer element (left side). Try unplugging your hand warmers and see if that helps.

Done fishing. Let's go sledding !!

Jan 12, 2010
Finger Lakes, NY
Had the same thing happen last year. Randomly started losing lights when I would hit bumps and on some starts...
Find a contact cleaner(Deoxit) and hit the contacts on the main line to the MDF and Lights. It works like a charm. Otherwise, check your main bundle up to the lights for wear and tear...groundin out.

bgredjoe

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2007
Bothell, WA
Gauge resetting

It just happens randomly when riding when I'm partial throttle or sometimes when I wud hit a bump sometimes not.
OK il have to try and get a tool or make one thanks

May sound wierd but check your driveshaft bearing. Had my driveshaft bearing grenade last year. what would happen is there was so much play in the driveshaft when you hit a bump or throttle just right the driveshaft pickup wheel would smack into the speed sensor grounding it out and causing the gauges to reset.

Something to check. Good luck and keep us posted on what you find.

The sad story is how I found out that was the issue.:sad:

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Voltage Regulator?

Another possibility that was especially common on the IQ's is the voltage regulator going bad. it will take out the ECU if you continue to run it that way. Had two do that last year.

B
Dec 3, 2011
Northeast Iowa
Going down the list trying to get this pinned down... Thanks for all the ideas guys. Worst part is Im sposed to be leaving on a trip to wyoming the 1st hopefully I get time to find the problem before then

Premium Features