• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

trailer flooring

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
i have a 28ft featherlight. It is strickly a snowmobile trailer. THe flooring issues are giving me a heck of a time! I first sanded down the original and tried some home depot bed liner stuff and rolled that stuff down. It peeled up with the first ride of a sled through and ened up being a giant mess by the end of the season. Then laid hardy plank down for ski skids and that sucked. They hard soon started chipping and looking terrible. MY next move is to tear it all up and lay down Black ASTRO Turf/Outside Carpet. Has any one done this before??? will it work? or will the skags just rip it up to? PLease Help!!!!!!

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I put in this plastic flooring and was very happy with it, it wasn't cheap, but works great and cleans easily. I don't remember where I got mine from, but it is like this. http://americangaragefloor.com/blt-garage-floor-coin.php

trailer004.jpg

trailer001.jpg

trailerpics002.jpg

The furnace vents
trailerpics001.jpg

P

Powderboy

Nov 1, 2001
Renton, WA
Featherlite recommended this product so I had it installed from the factory when they built my trailer.

http://www.nudo.com/Mezzanine-Decking/Designed-Performance/NuPoly.aspx

Seems to be working pretty well but also costly. I suppose a guy could buy this product and install himself to keep the cost down. On my last Featherlite my buddy applied the hardware store'esq line-x stuff and we had pretty good luck with it. Odd yours broke down. I feel your pain. For what you pay for a trailer of that caliber you hate to destroy the floors. I also know guys that are hard core ski protectors types. Sleds do not go inside the trailer without slipping those on first. Too much of a hassle for me. I couldn't take it honestly. But some guys make it work. Good luck.

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Thank you all for the input! i have looked at all of these applications and the price is crazy! Im still looking to hear from anyone who has done the carpeting or astro turf application. Seems really easy cheap and do it yourself? Wondering if it will hold up?

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
Andrew, saw on Spokane Craig's List that somebody had 200' of ski guides for sale that they took out of a 4 place trailer. I think price was $175. I just paid over $525 for ski guides for my new Aluma inline so I think the $175 would be a great buy. I really like the ski guides.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I have marine carpet in mine, the type you would find in a boat. Waterproof/sealer for glue so no water gets to the wood. At first I used runners, etc. We had an emergency which we bypassed the skins for times sake. To my surprise there was no damage to the carpet. I now load and unload with no runners, have had 0 cuts. The key is to get single strand carpet, make sure you have no loops as they will snag.

D

Dirty10

Nov 26, 2007
LaGrande, OR
I also put carpet in mine I used outdoor carpet. I use ski covers however I do run across it from time to time with no damge at this point. However reverse is a little different I do have a couple small rips from doing that. Carpet been in for 1 year and is holding up well.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Hmmm okay I have done this several times and worked great every time AND held up for years.

For a wood deck fiberglass coat it AND put clean large grain sand final coat so you dont slip

You can get 5 gallons of fiberglass resin for $150. Any cracks or holes in the floor use bondo for $20 a gallon.

You can add as thinner into the resin so the first coat "soaks" into the wood deck. Then apply more coats to make it tougher.

Go to a junk yard or a company that coats liners in truck beds and buy the plastic truck liners for about $20 each. Cut them up and use them for tracks so the carbides don't eat the deck. You can even cut a lip to help the sled turn out of a V-nose trailer. Then cut sections from the tailgate liner and mount on the deck parallel to the track lugs between the "bedliner" tracks and the E-track so the sled has grip.

!B9VN4+Q!mk~$(KGrHqF,!k8Ey+jC1QYGBM5cEGzd3g~~0_1.JPG

To tie the sled down bolt E-track to the deck.

E-track is rated to hold 46,000 psi but each clamp is 2000 to 6500 lbs depending on the type of clamp tie down release. To ghet this kind od holding strength grade 8 bolt it to the frame or weld it. This is the same fasteners used inside cargo containers. About $3 a foot but each foot has multiple ports to connect clamps.

223c_1.JPG

Carpet don't work in the South West cause it gets above freezing most of the time and you drive up to the snow ... 7000 feet. The ice / snow melts then freezes to the carpet ! So when you try to pull it up the carpet comes with the ice!

And yep we do this on outdoor decks in the mountains cause the temps there range from 120F in the summer to -20F in the winter ! Or rich guys buy cedar ... and then replace it after a "bad" winter. Ya there is the "new" plastic decks but htey leak and the plastic is screwed into something ... wood!

Last edited:

junkrider2

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
We have carpet in ours and it has been used 4 years with no ski covers. You need the thick backed kind. I live in Cda too and can show you what kind if you want...

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Ok this year im going to get around to doing this! debating the Mirage flooring. but it sounds like im going to have to rip up the old flooring and lay this stuff down. time consuming and its not cheap by any means.

Hopefully I can take the gentleman up on showing me the carpet he used since he does live in CDA!

jhubs

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Indoor/ outdoor carpet

I see some of you are running indoor outdoor carpet for flooring in your trailers. Has anyone tried the outdoor carpet that comes in the 18" squares you can buy at lowes? I am looking at the low nap ribbed style. It's not priced to badly and the squares would make for any easier install. Do you guys think it would hold up not using ski skins or guides?

superclamp

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2008
i have a 28ft featherlight. It is strickly a snowmobile trailer. THe flooring issues are giving me a heck of a time! I first sanded down the original and tried some home depot bed liner stuff and rolled that stuff down. It peeled up with the first ride of a sled through and ened up being a giant mess by the end of the season. Then laid hardy plank down for ski skids and that sucked. They hard soon started chipping and looking terrible. MY next move is to tear it all up and lay down Black ASTRO Turf/Outside Carpet. Has any one done this before??? will it work? or will the skags just rip it up to? PLease Help!!!!!!

you may want to look at Superclamp products. www.superclamp.net call us if you have any questions. 1-403-203-2210

Premium Features