• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thinking bout selling my m7 and going to a rev.. maybe, got questions first !!

C
Mar 20, 2011
So guys ive had polaris skidoo (for a bit) and cat now. I want more power kind of and might buy a rev again if i find one for the right price. I had a 05 with a bmp and hps and man that thing went pretty good. Reason i sold it is it had higher miles and a 144 and i didnt like it but i didnt mess with clutching or anything or the suspension setup (guy before me was about 70lbs more then me) and i sold it because i was having back surgey.

So my question is who has owned or rode a m7 and how does it compare to a 800 rev ? Also all in all how do they compare in power ? What is a good deal on a 800 rev ? I hear the 06 is the best is that true, i hear 07 is bad ? What are some basic or "must have" mods you guys do first. Other then those mods what are you guys doing for more power etc ? Any tricks to loose weight for free or cheap ? Lastly what all does it take to run a CE 2.5 under a rev ? Whats some things to look out for ?

Thanks in advance,try copy paste and answer all the questions that would be great !! :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
Got a lot of questions there man. Basically I rode my buddys m7 and I hated it. Had no finess it was either balls out on its side or flat. He rode my rev and hated it and said it was a piece of crap lol. All depends. My 800 runs a lot better than his 7 but that's pretty expected. It seemed heavy on the front end compared to mine.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Got a lot of questions there man. Basically I rode my buddys m7 and I hated it. Had no finess it was either balls out on its side or flat. He rode my rev and hated it and said it was a piece of crap lol. All depends. My 800 runs a lot better than his 7 but that's pretty expected. It seemed heavy on the front end compared to mine.

Thanks for the comment. Can you at least answer the question of what to look out for ? What it takes to put a ce 2.5 under a rev ? Also whats some good mods to do to the revs ?

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
Everyone will tell you clutching is the best thing. You need 7t 3 inch pitch drivers for a 2.5 track. Look for if one ski sits back further than the other. Or if one shock is way off center in the a arms. I would recommend a 06 or newer p tek. 07s are awesome sleds once a new motor is installed. 800r is a very good running motor.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Ok how do revs compare to m7's or m8's if anyone has compared rode or owned both ?? Also what would you guys suggest to do first for mods if i buy a rev ? Nothings for sure yet.

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
Everyone will tell you clutching is the best thing. You need 7t 3 inch pitch drivers for a 2.5 track. Look for if one ski sits back further than the other. Or if one shock is way off center in the a arms. I would recommend a 06 or newer p tek. 07s are awesome sleds once a new motor is installed. 800r is a very good running motor.

X2. Clutching is the best bang for the buck. The rev is one the best mountain sleds ever produced in my opinion.

C
Mar 20, 2011
I understand clutching just like any other sled without clutching your nothing. Can you guys just try answer some of the other questions as well please, that would be great. Thanks again!!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Ok I will do the best that I can to answer the questions asked.
First off I have never owned a m7 but I ride with a guy that does so that's what I'm basing my opinion on. First off the rev will out power the m7 stock for stock any day of the week. After setting them both up they run pretty well. A good deal on a rev 04-05 is about 3000-3500 bucks depending on what's all done to them. 06-07 revs for any where 3500-5000. The 07's were dam good sleds after the updated motors are done. If looking at a 07 you want to look at the left side of the motor on the cylinder and there should be a R stamped on it for indication that the motor has been done. The tracks on 07's were crap but that's an easy fix. Mods are endless depending on how much money you have. Free modds do a little research and you will find a few. Clutching is a biggy with any skidoo, talk to DJ or winter brew on here after you get a sled and they will fix you up real good. Things to look for are the ski tips even when you are standing on the machine looking down? Is the track in good shape? Has the motor had a top end put in it if so how many miles are on it now? What kinda pistons did the guy use? I'm sure I missed a few things in here but I hope it helps alittle.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
Basically, your going to get all bad comments towards the m series on this side of snowest. That's the truth. Try asking your same question over on the artic cat side to atleast get both sides. Got a buddy I ride with who had an m8 before he got his xp and he will never think about an artic cat again if that says anything. That is the xp chassis tho.

K
m to rev

Alright I went from an 05 m7 to an 06 summit x800. The m7 had a bikeman 800 kit and it was light weight. The differences between the skid would be the rev handles down the trail way better than the m. The m felt like a train wreck even with the holtz relocating bracket and fox shocks. As far as in the mountains i enjoyed both i personally felt the rev was easier to manuever in most cases. The engine well the rev is way snappier on the bottom due to gas operated power valves the m's power comes on slower and i hated that. the ski doo just felt stronger every where for power. I like the skidoo better for mods you don't need to run a fuel controller which i feel is a plus. I don't know man to each there own I personally like the doo better all around.

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Are you dead set on going with a 07 Rev? I rode an M7 for 3 years and bought a 09 XP hold over in 2010 and I must say it is the best sled I have ever riden. It is a night and day difference over the M7 and I had people ask me if my "stock" M7 had an 800 kit in it (which it did not). The first time that I rode my XP was in Cooke City over Thanksgiving weekend in 09 and I would be lying if I told you I liked it the first time out. I absolutely hated it and I wanted my M7 back. The next day my friend took off up hill throught the trees and I was very reluctant to follow him because of my experiance the previous day, but I did. After the 30 minutes of Sh!t holing I learned to ride that sled and I wouldnt have traded it for anything. The power it had over the M was nuts and the way it handled was amazing. My XP is stock with an HPS can so no mods and it gets me anywhere I want to go. I being honest I am not brand loyal and I will ride what works. I was going to snow check a Pro after riding this season with a very good friend that bought a 2012 800 PRO which gave me many butt kickings this season, but after reading the reviews from the guys that have demo'd the XM and seeing the videos I am now leaning towards that now. I want to compare both at the Expo and I will make my decision then. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are not dead set on an 07 you should check out and XP because you will not be disappointed and you will be very happy with your decision. So thats my two cents

C
Mar 20, 2011
I believe a xp will be out of my price range plus id almost rather have a rev with mods then a xp. Plus i like the rev chasis better and ive heard both sides that the revs are easier to hold over then a xp etc. etc. Im not dead set on a a 07 was just asking as i heard bad things about them. So all in all if the 07 has a r on the can/exhaust side get it and also the engine has more power then the older revs?? If someone had a $2000 budget for mods on a rev what would you guys do?? (not including big bores) Thanks for the help so far. Also like some have said i just clutched in my m7 havnt given it a real good ride but it doesnt seem like it has that bottom end snap and as much power.

D
Dec 11, 2008
Livingston MT
man ive got a rev with way too much money into it and i would trade that all in for an xp if i could... i ride my rev and hop on an xp and i feel like ive ridden it my whole life. they are pretty amazing machines. any who, i have rk tek's 160hp drop in kit on my rev. runs really good and i have less track than an xp and my rev is heavier and i was keeping up with the xp high marks. gets awesome gas mileage. i ride with a guy who has an 04 just like mine used to be and he ran out of gas way before we got back to the trailer and i burned a half a tank. get a really good comfortable handle bar set up, some narrow stance a arms and a good seat if you don't get an 06X model or an 07.

B

broncoformudv

Mar 3, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
So my question is who has owned or rode a m7 and how does it compare to a 800 rev ?
I own a 2006 Summit 800 X with a 144 track. I have ridden a friends 2010 M6 with a 153. The M6 is a solid sled and performs well in all conditions, it has less power but is a 600. I think the M6 was easier to jump on and be able to ride decent and the Rev takes a little to get used to. But everyone is different so who knows?

Also all in all how do they compare in power ? My Summit has RKtech head, clutch work, and a can and makes my arms sore at the end of the day and the M6 did not.

What is a good deal on a 800 rev ?
That depends on what part of the country you are in too many variables.

I hear the 06 is the best is that true, i hear 07 is bad ? 2006 is supposed to be the best year of the Revs. 2007 had crank case clearance issues and clutch issues. If it has a 2009 or newer engine in it it will be good if not I would not touch it unless you get a really good deal. Also the 2007 "X" and "XRS" models had the camo lite track which is known for trenching. The Adrenaline models in 2007 had the powdermax track just like the 2006 "X" models and it is a great track with 2.3" paddles. You can look at the two tracks and see the difference in porting design. The 2006 "X" track and 2007 "Adrenaline" have two small ports about the size of nickles and the 2007 "X" and "XRS" have two large ports that are square'ish and 50 cent piece in size.

What are some basic or "must have" mods you guys do first. Reinforce the bulkhead with wwracers brackets or the BRP 440X ones or both. clutch kit.

Other then those mods what are you guys doing for more power etc ? Heads or a big bore kit but leave it stock if you want realiability. I am sure I am going to get beat up on that comment. :)

Any tricks to loose weight for free or cheap ? Take out all the foam, put a lighter can on it,

Lastly what all does it take to run a CE 2.5 under a rev ? smaller drivers or a drop and roll.

Whats some things to look out for ? Make sure the front shocks are centered in the a arms if they are not the flying NUN is tweaked. Everything else is standard sled stuff to look for.

C
Mar 20, 2011
Thanks for all the comments guys. I think ill try demo a rev and xp or at least a xp and trade with my buddy for half a day and see how i like his rev.... just cant decide what to do. The xps have about 10-15hp more then the revs correct ??

C
Mar 20, 2011
So guys all you say xp well just found a 800xp with a 154 and 4300 miles for $3900 is that worth it ? He says price is low because of miles. I know that sled would at least need a top end anything else ? Anything bad about the 08s ? Just looking around like i said. Thanks again.

T
Feb 24, 2011
HILLS OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA
Check the clutches if he hasnt done anything with them. Change the springs, slide shoes, ramps, and possibly the bushings. Make sure the rollers are good. Check the exhaust bolts and make sure they are tight they tend to back out. Those are a few items I would look at. I dont know about the price, maybe some else has better idea than I do.

Premium Features