• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 120 mods

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
A while back I was speaking with a fellow regarding the gov. bypass that he did on his daughter's 120. He emailed me some photos and I thought that I backed them up to my hard drive. It seems that I did not. And now that I switched to Windows 7 (*roll eyes*) I lost all of my emails due to the fact that 7 does not have an email client. I am hoping that I may find him again and get the pics sent back to me. I'm getting ready to do the work on the 120 and I need the pics or instructions on this.

Help please.

D

dragon12

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
If I remember right, the bypass is a straightened paperclip, a zip tie, or a spring. Can't really rember right now but it is really simple. Go to denniskirk.com and look up the part and then look up the installation instructions on that page. A little late but maybe this helps.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
DISCOUNT GOVERNOR BYPASS

If I remember right, the bypass is a straightened paperclip, a zip tie, or a spring. Can't really rember right now but it is really simple. Go to denniskirk.com and look up the part and then look up the installation instructions on that page. A little late but maybe this helps.

DISCOUNT GOVERNOR BYPASS, PIC POSTED, ONLY 1 SMALL WIRE TIE (RED IN PICTURE) required, you just need to keep the spring collapsed, and prevent it from stretching out.No pins, links, clips required.

One nice feature about this method is that if you have kids of different ages riding the same sled, you can easily 'slow the sled down" just by simply taking a pair of side cutters and cutting the tie.

120 GOVERNOR SPRING.jpg

S
Nov 22, 2010
i did this mod to my 4 year olds 120 and it works great. the only problem i am having is at idle the sled is "hunting". i have tried adjusting the gov but cant seem to get it. is this normal when you install the ty wrap?:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-sho

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
SURGING @ IDLE

i did this mod to my 4 year olds 120 and it works great. the only problem i am having is at idle the sled is "hunting". i have tried adjusting the gov but cant seem to get it. is this normal when you install the ty wrap?:face-icon-small-win:face-icon-small-sho

Just reduce the idle speed a little bit, that will solve the issue.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I just installed a recrational motors sports "robin engine " with the stage 1 kit and Mountain head cut . Wow! what a difference! I need better clutching and gearing now. Their power intake kit would be a great adddition to any stock sled .

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
The zip tie works great. My daughter was riding in our fresh yesterday and even opened up she was wanting to go faster. Music to my ears. :face-icon-small-hap

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
Just watch out, there is a plastic gear inside the engine that will only handle higher rpms for so long. If it comes apart there will be plastic all through the engine.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Just watch out, there is a plastic gear inside the engine that will only handle higher rpms for so long. If it comes apart there will be plastic all through the engine.

I have heard about that happening. I think Rec Motorsports offers a different gear to handle it.

How much faster does it run with the gov-bypass???

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I have heard about that happening. I think Rec Motorsports offers a different gear to handle it.

How much faster does it run with the gov-bypass???

Just remove the gear if you're worried about it, you don't need to buy a "different gear"

The speed improvement with the governor by-pass was DEFINITELY noticeable, hard to put a # on it.

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
I just removed gear, but as said if more than one kid rides the sled so you need to have the governor working, the rec motor sports heavy gear is the way to go. With no governor I show a 6 mph increase on top with stock gearing. But it could be geared a little higher to get more.

Kraven

Lifetime Membership
Apr 11, 2009
MIDWEST
I just removed gear, but as said if more than one kid rides the sled so you need to have the governor working, the rec motor sports heavy gear is the way to go. With no governor I show a 6 mph increase on top with stock gearing. But it could be geared a little higher to get more.

You can easily control the top speed with an adjustable throttle stop instead, similar to the idle speed screw except install it on the opposite end

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
is there a way to slow them down a bit? My daughter is just short of 3 years old.. and rides it like it is a WSA final. I tried a block behind the throttle, but once the clutch engaged, it seemed like it was just as quick.

G
Dec 10, 2007
I just did this for my daughter who is also just under three. First make sure the governor spring is in the first hole. Second there is a throttle block screw that you can screw in towards the stop so that it hits sooner( this keeps the throttle from being squeezed all the way). Hope this helps. If you have questions just ask.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I will try that, I put a block behind the throttle which I thought would do the same thing. Once the clutch engaged... it would just take off just as fast. I was looking for something fairly slow. At this point I almost have to run next to her.

Premium Features