• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Throttle Body Boots delaminating

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I have a D7 Race gas setup, and one of the problems I encounter is that the throttle body boots delaminate and I lose boost. Anyone else running into this, and more specifically have any tips on how to keep it from happening. I was thinking about machining an sandwich plate out of aluminum, but that would be some serious CNC programming.

J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Boondocker offers that plate and so does brad 1200 psi on here, they are about $45 and make the boots last about twice as long... usually good for 800-1000 miles

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Here's what it looks like.

McCall2_09176.jpg

McCall2_09182.jpg

EW

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
here is what silbers look like, the new ones he has have a notch for clearance by the fuel injectors. Note you don't have to remove motor to install, I had it out for other reasons.

IMG_0240.jpg

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
Thanks guys. My sled will have one ASAP. Silber, just PM'd you so I can go about ordering on and learn this "little trick"

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
What about the one for your inner cooler that was modded so it wont leak boost, this should get some of ya thinking. EW

Pics529.jpg

Pics530.jpg

Pics528.jpg

S

Silber

Nov 26, 2007
We are selling them as an accessory for our turbo kits.

B

bighole1818

Dec 18, 2009
Big Hole valley, MT
HM turbos also has one available. It is CNC milled so you get an even press on the entire surface of the boot, not just the high spots.(included in the kit)
pl_7_thumbnail_1.png

sorry about the small pic

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
HM turbos also has one available. It is CNC milled so you get an even press on the entire surface of the boot, not just the high spots.(included in the kit)
pl_7_thumbnail_1.png

sorry about the small pic

Unless the cnc machined one is much thicker than the laser cut pieces offered by the other companies, it won't work any better. Just because its cnc machined doesn't mean it won't flex.

B

bighole1818

Dec 18, 2009
Big Hole valley, MT
The advantage of the CNC machined one is not extra strenth... but if your really intrested PM me for a full explination.(Silber's not the only one with secrets):face-icon-small-hap

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
What I was thinking originally, was to make an entire cnc adapter and then just use a rubber/silicone tubes (like boyesen uses for their reed blocks) to go between the adapter and the throttle bodies. Two hose clamps per side and you'd be good to go.

R

racerjb

Nov 26, 2007
Portland, OR
www.cobemotorsports.com
What I was thinking originally, was to make an entire cnc adapter and then just use a rubber/silicone tubes (like boyesen uses for their reed blocks) to go between the adapter and the throttle bodies. Two hose clamps per side and you'd be good to go.

I am currently designing this for one of the turbo builders...should be the real solution to all these problems..

BTW, the machined version fits into the recessed holes around the bolt holes on the rubber boot which seals better. I think the secret they are talking about for the flat (non machined) plate is to add washers to the backside of the plate which works but is a pain.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I am currently designing this for one of the turbo builders...should be the real solution to all these problems..

BTW, the machined version fits into the recessed holes around the bolt holes on the rubber boot which seals better. I think the secret they are talking about for the flat (non machined) plate is to add washers to the backside of the plate which works but is a pain.
Makes sense. Glad to hear you've got this in the works. I have a mill but not a cnc, so trying to make one myself would be a serious pain.

Premium Features