• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How much boost?

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
How much boost are you guys running, WITHOUT an intercooler, in deep snow? Preferably those with an Attitude/Pure Logic box. I understand the BD box compensates when the charge tube gets hot, so I want to know what guys are seeing that don't have this system. Mine is falling on it's face when I load it real hard on a hill in deep snow and I think it is the high temps in the charge tube. Otherwise, it is perfect.......

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Do you have any way to measure your charge temps? I know Kinser runs well over 10 lbs of boost without a intercooler, but his setup is a Boondocker. As for the Boondocker box compensating for high charge temps I am not aware of this.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Do you have a rapid drop in RPM's as well? I had a boost leak issue at the throttle bodies and it caused my sled to peak at 8300 at the start of a pull then drop fairly quickly to 7600-7800 and hold there for the rest of the pull. In spring conditions it seemed worse even with w BD mini intercooler. I messed with clutching and waste gate linkage at first till I checked for leaks then figured it out.

Might be worth doing a true boost leak test and see if your air tight. I have all the plugs for the pipe, intake, throttle bodies, air box/intercooler, and a low pressure air regulator set up to allow you to put 0-14 pounds of shop air to your system. You can even watch the changes in your boost controller pressure to index exactly how many turns equals what psi.

If you need the stuff just shoot me a pm. Good luck. EW

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
It ONLY occurs in DEEP snow at the end of a long pull.....or towards the end. No other time does it occur. And it is not as noticeable on the flats in the deep, only when the sled is really loaded.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Not familiar with the Attitude / Pure Logic. Do they have a way to record charge air temps? If so what temps are you seeing? Do you think there is any chance of reduced fresh/cold air flow due to the deep pow/ice resticting your venting? Do you see swings (up or down) in your egt numbers when this happens?

How does your exhaust dump? Any chance back pressure could increase on long pulls in deep pow? Sounds like an odd gremlin for sure. EW

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
To verify what you think is too high of charge temp your going to have to figure a way to measure what the charge temp is.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I like that idea........so, if I find that my temps are through the roof, then what? Intercooler? How much boost are guys running without an intercooler, in the deep snow when you really load the motor? Preferably Attitude/Pure Logic kits.

KAWGRN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
everywhere
anthony I have the same kit as you and in deep snow on along pulls my boost stays the same ,,, are you possibly feeling a missfire like a stutter?????Whate your AFR reading at the time you loose bost???? and I have a temp sensor in my charge tube and its always at around 185-230 degrees at 14psi,,,, sled Rocks!!!!! what are you running for clutching I have some new combos that are working at 10-11K elevation, and do you have the new fuel reg from Garr yet???? and Race pipe????????

Last edited:
H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
AO I know mine isnt the same as yours but I am pretty sure I have had the same problem with mine.. At 10-12 pounds of boost it runs solid all the way through a climb. When I turn it up to 14-16 psi at the top of bigger hills it falls on its face.. It feels like a powder bog or even a clutch slipping issue.. My setup has a power jet in the charge tube to help cool the thing down but I dont think it can compensate with the higher boost.. I am with your thought process that the only real solution would be to go with an intercooler.....

I am planning on doing a 660 or a 685 here someday and I am thinking when I do its gonna need something so I am following this thread hoping somebody will have a concrete solution..

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
anthony I have the same kit as you and in deep snow on along pulls my boost stays the same ,,, are you possibly feeling a missfire like a stutter?????Whate your AFR reading at the time you loose bost???? and I have a temp sensor in my charge tube and its always at around 185-230 degrees at 14psi,,,, sled Rocks!!!!! what are you running for clutching I have some new combos that are working at 10-11K elevation, and do you have the new fuel reg from Garr yet???? and Race pipe????????

My AFR goes to 11.8, 11.6, 11.4.....it goes super rich, and I think because the air temps are going through the roof. In normal snow or hard pack, no problems, but in super deep heavy snow........problem. I have the race pipe, no fuel reg though....what is that for?? And I am not lossing boost, I am going so rich that I loose rpm and it starts to fall all over itself. PM the clutching.

Last edited:
A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
Dusty(Happy)......I can run 14lbs all day, but ONLY in the super deep snow do I have this problem. The boost doesn't drop off(....I don't think)....the motor just bogs down from being so rich, and I assume it is the air temps. I am going to turn it down to 12lbs this weekend and see if it does the same thing, then turn it right back to 14lbs and see what the difference is.

P

powdrdog

Nov 27, 2007
Blackfalds, Alberta
Lots of good possible answers to this problem. not totally convinced that it is an issue with intake air temp getting to hi. I had this same problem last season. my problem was a tiny hole in my exhaust pipe just before the turbo as well as a cracked weld on my aluminum air box. testing for system leaks is where I would start. very frustrating when your sled doesn't run right and something as simple as this caused me a year of grief.

Premium Features