• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

boondocker pg800 cuting out

A
Jan 4, 2008
Was wondering if anybody knows why my pg turbo is cutting out at high rpm only.runs fine untill making a climb then will just cut out,this thing ran perfect the last 4 rides,nothing was changed.starts and runs fine until it gets wound up,let off throttle any it will come back.Any ideas before i tear into it.

M
Nov 26, 2007
Cranbrook B.C.
Was wondering if anybody knows why my pg turbo is cutting out at high rpm only.runs fine untill making a climb then will just cut out,this thing ran perfect the last 4 rides,nothing was changed.starts and runs fine until it gets wound up,let off throttle any it will come back.Any ideas before i tear into it.

what are your egts or A/F readings, boost level and fuel numbers

C

colorado logger

Dec 4, 2007
south fork co
Whats your max dc out, what about your max rpm.

I noticed snow was entering through front hood area, consequently the snow would end up on top of the ECU. Can't be good so I built a cover.

Here's a pic of what I built, rode today and it worked good:D

Let us know

TM8 final install 001.jpg

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Might be some bad gas and you are detonating causing the det. sensor to cut out the motor. Were you getting any check engine codes?

M

meakin46

Oct 20, 2008
i had the same problem with mine last year, i found the prolem( after 3/4 of the year screwing around) it was the settings on my bd box, for some srange reason my sled would only run good on map 1 which was the stock bd map, i could still change numbers in this map and it would work fine, but any other map it would cut out and detonate on a climb, even if the numbers were exactly the same as in map 1 it still would not run at full throttle for long:confused:

A
Jan 4, 2008
Was wondering if bad gas would be the problem because went through the machine and rode in at home and boggs out just as the turbo spolls up and starts to make power.Looked at stats screen 8100rpm,62/99 dc,6.0 psi. egts vary when bogging out 900-1150.No warning lights come on.

VOHK

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2006
Colorado
www.vohk.com
a max dc out of 99 is bad... it is extremely important that you not run 99 out. your out of injector at this point and OCTN or ECU 23 will likely appear on your factory gauge causing the cutting out you are referring to. Check your settings and turn down until its below 95... Perhaps use better fuel. The other likely cause is a loose ground or shorted injector wire so check your harnesses and connections well.

A
Jan 4, 2008
Thanks for the info ,by turning down the setting to get 95 do you mean turning down the boost or my settings in the boondocker box.I will go through my electrical as well.The sled starts and run excellent untill you start to get it on boost then it starts to bogg.

S
Aug 20, 2008
North Idaho
a max dc out of 99 is bad... it is extremely important that you not run 99 out. your out of injector at this point and OCTN or ECU 23 will likely appear on your factory gauge causing the cutting out you are referring to. Check your settings and turn down until its below 95... Perhaps use better fuel. The other likely cause is a loose ground or shorted injector wire so check your harnesses and connections well.

Hey . . you guys think you can help me tune this thing when I come down to ride with Chris in February? Mine is cutting out at high RPM as well, I was thinking rev limiter . . for some reason I am having trouble looking at my tach while tail walking up the hill:) so I'm not sure what my RPMs are maxing out at It doesn't do it all the time, but it is a pain when it does.

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
Hey . . you guys think you can help me tune this thing when I come down to ride with Chris in February? Mine is cutting out at high RPM as well, I was thinking rev limiter . . for some reason I am having trouble looking at my tach while tail walking up the hill:) so I'm not sure what my RPMs are maxing out at It doesn't do it all the time, but it is a pain when it does.

Your tach has a max record function for RPM. If you press and hold the button when it is running it will reset. I believe so does the BD box in the stats screen.

Last edited:
B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
You are running 99 on the out of your injectors at 6 pounds? Check your return line in your fuel tank and your fuel pump to make sure you are actually pushing that much through the injectors. That seems awful high for 6psi. What is your fuel numbers on your box?
BB

A
Jan 4, 2008
Rode sled today after going threw everything,still boggs down ,stats screen was cleared before ride, now reads 8000 rpm,64/62 , xx.x .Does anybody know why it will not record psi just xx.x even with boost controller turn all the way down.

F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
"xx.x" is displayed when the boost goes above 21psi (which is probably going to max out your injectors). Also "-xx.x" is displayed when vaccum above about 3in is sensed - which should not happen on a 2-stroke. You either have a problem with your boost controller, or more likely you have a problem with your pressure transducer. What is your Stats Psi reading at idle?

Edit: also check the wiring between control box and pressure transducer

Last edited:
F
Nov 26, 2007
www.boondockers.com
i had the same problem with mine last year, i found the prolem( after 3/4 of the year screwing around) it was the settings on my bd box, for some srange reason my sled would only run good on map 1 which was the stock bd map, i could still change numbers in this map and it would work fine, but any other map it would cut out and detonate on a climb, even if the numbers were exactly the same as in map 1 it still would not run at full throttle for long:confused:

Did you copy map1 to the other map before using it, or did you just change the settings on the other map? The only reason I can think of for the difference is that there's some hidden settings (only available in what's called Supertuner mode) that may not have been the same between map1 and the other map you tried. Therefore it is best to COPY map1 to the new map you want to use before using it.

B

bigbull

Jan 21, 2005
Spokane, WA
www.bigbullinc.com
I also had odd readings, and obvious issues when running, when my connector became loose on my BD box harness. It wasn't obvious loose, just slightly. I zip tied it and have had no issues since. Like Fastgas said, bad pressure transducer will definitely throw everything out of whack too.

RE: Fuel pump, I have installed a T and a pressure gauge, temporarily and permanent, to keep an eye on it at idle and under boost. I have caught secondary fuel pumps falling flat this way 2x so far. You can also check the pump under induced load at the shop with a battery as well as check for resistance with volt/ohm meter. The specs are in the service manual.
BB

A
Jan 4, 2008
I think i have found the problem,pin connector in the plug for the transducer was loose,fixed and know get a psi reading instead of xx.x.Going to ride this weekend will find out then. Thanks everyone.

Premium Features