• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2010 DRAGON 800 DYNOTEST Stock & PC-5

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
R

RamrodAK1

Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, AK
I ran my stock pipe with slp can and had terrible running issue. UNTIL I put the PC5 on the other day and had a great 2' powder day yesterday. The sled ran phenomenal. I purchased the SLP pipe setup for my d8 today and will put that map in when it gets here. I bought the PC5 from Jim at Dynotech. I can't rave enough about it. But I was getting stomped by a 2010 M8 so I decided to get the pipe too.

B
Nov 26, 2007
I ran my 09 with 2010 update and the PC5 on the weekend. I am running between 3000' and 5000', 66gr 66-46-.36 helix, 19:42 and was pulling 7950 before. Since installing the PC5 it picked up the top end to 8150, better starting (for some unknown reason a Jim's map doesn't change the bottom end at all?...maybe it was the elevation). I found from 3000-5000rpms to be a little sluggish though, and the sled seems to run stronger if you sit a while then start it and take off with it. Maybe the stock ecu is retarding the ignition with the water temp at 126F where mine was running where if the water temp is near 100F the sled feels stronger. Maybe the exhaust valve solenoid is sticking...I'll fix this first then maybe make the bypass on the thermostat bigger. Thanks Jim

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I ran my 09 with 2010 update and the PC5 on the weekend. I am running between 3000' and 5000', 66gr 66-46-.36 helix, 19:42 and was pulling 7950 before. Since installing the PC5 it picked up the top end to 8150, better starting (for some unknown reason a Jim's map doesn't change the bottom end at all?...maybe it was the elevation). I found from 3000-5000rpms to be a little sluggish though, and the sled seems to run stronger if you sit a while then start it and take off with it. Maybe the stock ecu is retarding the ignition with the water temp at 126F where mine was running where if the water temp is near 100F the sled feels stronger. Maybe the exhaust valve solenoid is sticking...I'll fix this first then maybe make the bypass on the thermostat bigger. Thanks Jim

Ah, ... nope. Jim's map may be a bit rich on the low end on some sleds and maybe you are experiencing that. Maybe try the SLP map or one of last year's 800 maps that don't have much low to mid rpm fueling. Or, if you have the savvy, make a copy of the current map you are running and cut out all the fueling under, say, 6500 rpms and see what happens. That's one thing a PC V does is make a guy spend more time with a laptop connected to his sled.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Jim's map (the first map after the Polaris update) has no changes to the midrange and only slight changes to the top.

The PCV is a cool tool, but there is a lot of confusion in what makes the D8 work (including by me).

W
Feb 27, 2008
confusion???

i'm not confused at all about what it takes to make MY d8 run well.i know they're all a little different but a PCV cured what was ailing my 09 d8.the slp pipe set and new helix,springs and weights was just icing on the cake.could not be happier.162 hp map from dynotech jim,sled runs flawless.

A

akrevrider

Jan 15, 2008
Wasilla, Alaska
i'm not confused at all about what it takes to make MY d8 run well.i know they're all a little different but a PCV cured what was ailing my 09 d8.the slp pipe set and new helix,springs and weights was just icing on the cake.could not be happier.162 hp map from dynotech jim,sled runs flawless.

Which helix springs and weights are you running?

Was running the PCV 157hp map from Dynotech with good results. Had the latest flash installed and rode it around for a few minutes with no problems; but have yet to test it WOT.

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
Yesterday did back to back dyno testing on that latest D8 flash compared with the original 2010 flash , and a 35 degrees F it is flowing about 3% more fuel at wot compared to the first 2010 programming. But there is a bit more midrange fuel which is a good thing. We may need less fuel added in midrange, but more fuel pulled out at full throttle. The sled with the latest flash made 144hp off the trailer, then 156hp with the top end leaned out properly with zero signs of knock on 91 octane gas.

I will try to have a stock pipe PCV map for this latest flash on my website next week (I need very cold air to do that final tune properly). But my advice is if you like the way your sled runs with PCV with either my or SLP's PCV map, leave it alone.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
Thanks again for the info Jim, makes the little investment for the PC5, seem like pennies with the HP it adds! Look forward to more work and the latest maps. PS. no reflash for me...157 map rips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The 157 Stoutner map (don't have the version in front of me) fell on it's face in my sled. I noticed in the notes that it was for a particular head. Is everyone that is running this map using it on the stock head and stock engine setup? I did not unplug the ethanol wires, but I think I'm using non-ethanol fuel. Put the first DynoJet map back on and my sled ripped again!

D

dynotechjim

Nov 26, 2007
Batavia, NY
www.dynotechresearch.com
As weird as it may seem, all dragons are not created equally. so the Stoutner DynoTech map has a broad pile of fuel in the midrange that for most is pleasing but for a very few is excessive. So we have the Stoutner/Norm map which is about half the midrange fuel added, not posted on my website but emailable to those who have DTR access user ID and password (email me with your access code, I email back the Stoutner/Norm map) to eliminate rich burble. But all seem to need the same pile of fuel (8-11% reduction at WOT) reduced on top end that creates the extra 10-12 horsepower at 8100rpm.

M

MNSLEDNECK56308

Nov 21, 2007
Alex MN
I took the stockstouner 157 PC5 map off the site, I took that as stock everything..as i'm stock minus the SLP can. It cleared mine right up. Hoping that wasn't with head mod's!!! However the orginal map that came with my PC5 in december, didn't clear MY stumble, but worked great on a buddies. So yea each 800 is different......

Last edited:
A
Nov 26, 2007
As weird as it may seem, all dragons are not created equally. so the Stoutner DynoTech map has a broad pile of fuel in the midrange that for most is pleasing but for a very few is excessive. So we have the Stoutner/Norm map which is about half the midrange fuel added, not posted on my website but emailable to those who have DTR access user ID and password (email me with your access code, I email back the Stoutner/Norm map) to eliminate rich burble. But all seem to need the same pile of fuel (8-11% reduction at WOT) reduced on top end that creates the extra 10-12 horsepower at 8100rpm.

Don't want to hijack the thread but Jim next time you have a D8 on the dyno could you remove the air box shelf and see if there is more power there. I know that mine with the shelf removed goes lean and I have to add at least 5% fuel at WOt or the det light comes on. With it installed it will not come on with 8-11% reduction that you have specified. Yes I am a subscriber.

W
Feb 27, 2008
its a carls setup for ak.i have their dual cut helix,66 weights,green primary,black secondary.

Which helix springs and weights are you running?

Was running the PCV 157hp map from Dynotech with good results. Had the latest flash installed and rode it around for a few minutes with no problems; but have yet to test it WOT.

D

deepdiver

Nov 27, 2003
Marysville, WA
buckshot...6 grams after the update? Who's working on this buggy? Cooter's Towin, Tars, and Snow"cat" Pirformaaaance? Sumpin ain't right in Mayberry there ANDEEEE!:eek:

Maybe get Barney to do some vestigat'in..suggest he looks at the following:

Is there a belt on it?
The manual calls for two spark plugs but make sure Cooter didn't get crossed up and put them in the plastic spare holder! There's been some confusion at certain shops on that one.
Now here is another sumpon to check on...apparantly there is a situation called the Richard Gere condition. This is where a family of field mice crawl up and make a home in your exhaust pipe! Sure can't get no performance if your exhaust pipe is all clogged up. Don't know who this Gere fella is and how he discovered this condition. Can only speculate that he must be a factory trained master tech to have discovered such things! :D:D

Seriously dude...find a new dealer!
LMFAO......that there was some funny shiitt.

Jeff95

Premium Member
Jan 11, 2009
Terrebonne, Oregon
What is the air box shelf?
Is that what people call the horn?
I installed a filter like the timbersled. All I did was take the horn cut it and mounted it on the airbox and put a filter on the end of it.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
What is the air box shelf?
Is that what people call the horn?
I installed a filter like the timbersled. All I did was take the horn cut it and mounted it on the airbox and put a filter on the end of it.

the shelf is in the main airbox and divides the box into an upper and lower chamber....

A
Nov 26, 2007
No the shelf is the flat piece that holds the two small horns in the air box. If you remove the shelf and the two small long horns the sled will go lean. If it was a carbed unit then a change in vacum inside the airbox can effect the jetting and lean it out. With the fuel injection if it leans out with it removed then the engine is getting more air thus the engine can make more power with it out.

Premium Features