• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Air box? What the #$%^

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
I have a 440 air box that is not fitting very well. The sled is new to me and right of the bat I can tell that the air box does not fit over the carbs when the rubber strap is on the air box. Has anyone had this problem? And if so what did you do to fix this? I am a welder so I am considering making a sheet metal air box out of alum with carb boots from my doo 440 but before I get into that I would like to use the factory box. help

The Bob

Premium Member
Mar 1, 2008
MN
If the metal that the airbox rests on (back of box) is bent backwards it will cause the airbox's to not fit correctly. I had this problem on one I was building. Finally replaced that metal, think it was like $15.00 from polaris, then the airbox stayed on.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
Sometimes you will have to trim the holes on the airbox to fit the boot on the carb. I had to do this to mine to fit it right, try boring it out a little and I stick my hand inside the box to make sure it is seated good all the way around each the carbs.

A

AkLogan

Nov 26, 2007
Kenai, Alaska
ditto to what die hard said mine was a PITA if it was any sort of cold out side. Polaris did a pretty crappy job on the boots. Remove the boots and trim the airbox a touch on the bottom and u should be good to go. Sticking your hand down the air box is about the best trick that i found even after trimming it

Jan 10, 2008
Sometimes you will have to trim the holes on the airbox to fit the boot on the carb. I had to do this to mine to fit it right, try boring it out a little and I stick my hand inside the box to make sure it is seated good all the way around each the carbs.

Thanks die hard! That's what I was getting at. If it's a 440 box with a 600 or more, the holes may need to be trimed. I also noticed that the newer(08) air box is different than the older (05) airbox. The holes are the same diameter and the distance between the two holes are the same, but the 05 box will not fit on the 08 carbs.?????I even used a micrometer to check???

:confused:

A
Nov 27, 2007
Grand Marais, MN
trim the bioch

All IQ airboxes fit like chit right out of the box. the 05-07's had a airbox boot that stuck in the airbox.

For For the 05-07, trim about a pen's width of the very bottom of the carb opening, radius your cut to end on the side of the carb hole. Lube your boots with a small smear of SilGlyde (brake lube paste) or KY and stick your hand down the airbox hole as stated above. the boots should slide onto the carbs easily now and be careful not to push the seal lip into the airbox.

For the 08RR and 08-09IQr, the carb boots stick on the carbs, and the airbox slides over them. It is WAAAY easier to get these on and I have noticed on my 09 that the holes were opened up just a hair to ease the install. Hand down the box again and you can feel if your boots are seated squarely in the airbox holes.

The last thing is Practice till perfect. The first IQr airbox install I did took half a day of skinned knuckles and hurt pride to get right. now it is less than a minute. For the guy running the 08 carbs on the 05 box, What boots are you using?

Good luck, Craig

Jan 10, 2008
All IQ airboxes fit like chit right out of the box. the 05-07's had a airbox boot that stuck in the airbox.

For For the 05-07, trim about a pen's width of the very bottom of the carb opening, radius your cut to end on the side of the carb hole. Lube your boots with a small smear of SilGlyde (brake lube paste) or KY and stick your hand down the airbox hole as stated above. the boots should slide onto the carbs easily now and be careful not to push the seal lip into the airbox.

For the 08RR and 08-09IQr, the carb boots stick on the carbs, and the airbox slides over them. It is WAAAY easier to get these on and I have noticed on my 09 that the holes were opened up just a hair to ease the install. Hand down the box again and you can feel if your boots are seated squarely in the airbox holes.

The last thing is Practice till perfect. The first IQr airbox install I did took half a day of skinned knuckles and hurt pride to get right. now it is less than a minute. For the guy running the 08 carbs on the 05 box, What boots are you using?
Good luck, Craig

Craig, it's Kerry. I was just messing around with TIms sled. It's the 08 carb adapters into the 05 box. I checked the opening with a micrometer and the openings are the same size. (05 to 08) The center to center distance is the same as well. The 08 carbs just won't sit right on the 05 box. Not sure why.

Jan 10, 2008
i thought that the 08 used different style carbs then the 05's did

True! Going from a 440 to a 600 ho just required a little trim of the opening at the bottom of the circle as mentioned above. We've come to the conclusion that the 05 box must be warped a little, or maybe something else. I have the 08 box so all is good.

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
Well, I ended up trimming the width of a sharpie marker line just on the bottom half of the box forming a elipse. It was alittle tight but slide right in with a little pushing (man that sounds dirty). Now I just need to find a 121 track that is not demolished as well as a good hood clean hood and of course revalve some shocks and my girlfriend will have a sick sled to start jumping with. I will post some pics later.

Premium Features