• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009 M8 153 vs 2009 700 RMK

P
Dec 3, 2007
I'm debating between these two sleds. Has anyone had a chance to ride both back to back in the same conditions, or own both? How do they compare in terms of power, handling, flotation, and general deep snow mobility. My riding is a mix of playing in the powder and hillclimbing, with some trail riding as well. Thanks in advance for any input!

C
Nov 28, 2006
Willow, AK
I've owned an 08 700 RMK and I'm getting a new 2010 M8 LE. While I can't comment on the M-Sled...I can tell you the only reason I switched is because Polaris doesn't have their 800 all together. The 700 and IQ chassis were light, nimble, and an absolute joy to ride. I have ZERO complaints with the sled. I wanted something new and wanted a 800 and I heard cat's rode similar to the IQ and that is the ONLY reason I switched brands. If polaris gets their 800 back on track, I'll likely be on an Assult (or whatever they have) in 2012.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
funny how you get different results on different forums huh?

Just ride them both and determine what you like better. I don't buy into buying a sled because of a dealer. Does that mean you buy the sled on the bottom of your list because the dealer is down the streat but the others you have to drive 100 miles? I'll drive the 100 miles to have the sled I want. Don't ask people what to get, go find out yourself.

montanasledder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2001
Butte Montana
we have equall numbers of 07-09 m8s and many 700 and 800 Poo's in our group. Ive been a Polaris guy my hole life but switched to Cat after seeing and riding them in the powder and boondocking. On the trail the Poo will kick the cats butt but every other condidtion the cat works better

colorado_matt

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
COLORADO
Most dealers I know are needing to sell sleds pretty bad right now. Maybe if you have a polaris and/or Arctic Cat dealer in mind, let them know you are planning on buying a sled and once the snow falls they will let you demo the sleds. Everyone has their own style and prefrences. So obviously YOU are going to make the best choice for YOU. I have ridden both and wouldn't think twice. I'd go with the Cat, but that's me.

S
Dec 29, 2008
White Salmon, WA
On the Polaris forums, they are gonna tell you to buy the RMK. Like people say, ride them both and make a decision. Or if you want a real mountain machine buy the M8. As far as the local dealer goes, I live in east bum xxx part of Washington. 1 full hour drive to the closest dealer, pain in the backside for sure. Same for me with dirtbikes, closest KTM dealer is also 1 hour drive. Price you pay to live close to the good riding, but still a pain.

iluv2fly

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
09 M8 all the way over the polaris 700. I agree that the polaris rides better but that's where it ends.

A

AKboondocker

Feb 4, 2006
Wasilla, Alaska
Polaris is a great sled, but the M will have as good or better handling, equal or better reliability, less weight and more power. Its a no brainer for me, but I suppose Im biased because I ride an M8 right?

Snowman 2001

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Othello, WA
Here is my 2 cents... The IQ RMK chassis is more of a rider forward chasis then the M series. My 700rmk reminds me more of my dirtbike then the M series. Now with a taller seat and bar riser for the M8, I supspect that will change. The M series without a doubt has the better aproach angle. The new track on the M's will slide a little on spring snow compared to the series 5.1 track. My 700RMK is a touch crisper then the M8, but I think the M8 oiler is sticking or needs adjustment. Both need clutch work and vents in a bad way. Basically both are great machines with different strengths.

What ever brand forum your on is most likely going to be the answer you get.

IMG00072.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features