• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

155/3" vs 163/2.6"

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Looking at a new Axys and wondering about the track options above. My perceptions are below - Opinions needed -

155/3" - Easier to carve turns than a 163.... Added weight of a chaincase (10#?) but that allows gearing changes (value?) .....

163/2.6" - More floatation that a 155 due sq. in. on the snow. Longer track really likes to lay down flat when less than bumper deep (perhaps issue my own technique ?)

Other points to ponder ?

Thanks in advance !!

H
Oct 14, 2009
Appleton Maine
Never had the 3" Polaris but had it on my Summit. The 2.6 track seems to work great. Unless your running deep power all the time, I certainly wouldn't get a 3" track. I would think the 2.6 163 would be a better all round track IMO.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Ive had just about every combination of a 155/162 2.4,2.6,3.0
My personal favorite is the OEM polaris 162x3.0

We can get into lots of debates about each of these tracks but a couple key points are rider weight with all gear on.... If your under 200lbs get the 155, if your over that get the 163.
Riding style... All back country, all the time...get the 3". Ride some groomed (or hard pack un-groomed) trails to get from play area to play area get the 2.6"

The chaincase doesnt add 10lbs, I would bet its more like 5lbs diff. You also get a steel driveshaft with the chaincase sleds, which I personally like over the aluminum shaft.

Last edited:
U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
The chaincase doesnt add 10lbs, I would bet its more like 5lbs diff. You also get a steel driveshaft with the chaincase sleds, which I personally like over the aluminum shaft.

Are you referring to dry/stationary weight? I was always under the impression that the weight savings from quickdrive come when the sled is moving (rotational inertia etc)

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Are you referring to dry/stationary weight? I was always under the impression that the weight savings from quickdrive come when the sled is moving (rotational inertia etc)

Yes, my orig reference was to stationary weight. But yes, rotating weight is what really counts (until stuck).

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002

I'm talking about actual weight difference between the 2 systems. The quick drive is lighter due to the fact it doesnt have a steel drive chain, or an outter chain case cover, and also uses a steel driveshaft.

Now, does one "feel" lighter riding it? Well I guess thats what polaris likes to talk about.

One more thing to mention... the 3" does also come with lower gearing then the 2.6

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Ive had just about every combination of a 155/162 2.4,2.6,3.0
My personal favorite is the OEM polaris 162x3.0

We can get into lots of debates about each of these tracks but a couple key points are rider weight with all gear on.... If your under 200lbs get the 155, if your over that get the 163.
Riding style... All back country, all the time...get the 3". Ride some groomed (or hard pack un-groomed) trails to get from play area to play area get the 2.6"

Pretty much nailed it here.

I'm over 200 and had a 155 in the past and now run the 163 and wouldn't go back!! I love the extra flotation and I like the way the 163 sticks to a side hill.

Premium Features