• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Radio Communications - Emergency Channel??

pameskamp

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2011
It seems that most people are riding with some type of radio communication - at least in the mountains. Why don't the 2-way radio manufacturers have a standard Emergency Channel that is always scanned for transmissions?

We all set a frequency for group communication, but if we ever needed help in an emergency it would be great to have all radios automatically scanning for a pre-set Emergency Channel. This would allow others to aid in rescue and possibly daisy chain communication back to the nearest emergency personnel.

Does anyone know if this exist and I am not aware of it???

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'm not aware of the feature you desire. That's why I carry a SPOT personal tracker that can send a 911 or non life threatening urgent message via satellite with my GPS coordinates. I also carry a pen flare kit with me that is identical to ones used by Army helicopter pilots- GyroJet MBA Signal Kit.

While many use BCA's radio, I don't. Instead, I use a multi-band Baofeng UV series ham radio radio that has 2 VFOs that allows me to monitor and transmit on 2 pre-programmed channels. I have one programmed for internal communications with my riding buddy and another set on a known 2 meter repeater that I know I can "hit" while riding. I also have SAR, Flight for Life, EMS, and other agencies programmed into my radio's memory.

The BCA radio is an improvement over hand signals and stopping to talk to your riding buddy but until BCA makes one that is compatible with helmet speakers and mic, I won't recommend one. I used a BCA radio a couple of weeks ago and had to stop and let the engine idle down so I could hear what my riding buddy was saying.

Again, better than nothing but a cheaper Baofeng with helmet speakers and microphone are MUCH better. I have no problem talking to someone on the fly as long as I can press the PTT switch I have on my avi pack front strap (can use VOX too but I prefer PTT switch...may put a foot switch or a wireless switch on my handlebar one day).

Here is a link to my setup: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/20-a...-2-way-radio-helmet-communication-system.html You do not need a ham radio license to use my setup; the radio can transmit on FRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies. To be legal, you should get a license for GMRS use. The radio is technically not legal for FRS use (BCA uses FRS and GMRS frequencies) because the Baofeng radio puts out more than 1/2 watt and has a removable antenna...let your conscious be your guide and I don't think the FCC is hiding out in the backcountry.

Last edited:

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
FOR THE RADIO NEOPHYTE: All of the cheap chinese radios must be programmed to frequencies that do not have licensed emergency users. I REPEAT, MUST BE PROGRAMMED BEFORE YOU EVER PRESS THE PUSH TO TALK BUTTON. you must program them with the frs freq. This keeps you from interfering with licensed users and makes them compatible with your buddies big box store radio. Garmin, motorola, cobra, ect.

The fcc is a complaint driven agency. As long as we are not causing interference with licensed emergency or business comms, no one will complain and the fcc will not pay any attention to us. However, it is still illegal and the fines are horrendous. Also, there maybe state or provincial laws reguarding interference on emerency frequencies. If you are in a situation where, someone is going to die without help, AS A LAST RESORT, use an emergency agency frequency to get help but, be asured, after the situation is over, someone will raise a sink about it and you will have to explain your actions. Youd better have a GOOD explanation. Plan on losing all your radio equipment and any license you have, at a minimum.

Most of the baofeng radios will communicate with emergency agencies. You will have to research frequencies and tones then program your radios ahead of time. This will have to be done for each one of the different jurisdictions/counties that u ride in. Think very seriously before you do it.

You'd be much better off to program in a bunch of ham repeaters for your riding areas. There is always someone listening and hams are good at passing emergency information. You will get in less trouble by going this route. Better yet get your very own amateur radio license. It is easy. A few hours of study and take a test. If you are smart enough to earn the money it takes to snowmobile, you are smart enough to get licensed.....

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
FOR THE RADIO NEOPHYTE: All of the cheap chinese radios must be programmed to frequencies that do not have licensed emergency users. I REPEAT, MUST BE PROGRAMMED BEFORE YOU EVER PRESS THE PUSH TO TALK BUTTON. you must program them with the frs freq. This keeps you from interfering with licensed users and makes them compatible with your buddies big box store radio. Garmin, motorola, cobra, ect.

The fcc is a complaint driven agency. As long as we are not causing interference with licensed emergency or business comms, no one will complain and the fcc will not pay any attention to us. However, it is still illegal and the fines are horrendous. Also, there maybe state or provincial laws reguarding interference on emerency frequencies. If you are in a situation where, someone is going to die without help, AS A LAST RESORT, use an emergency agency frequency to get help but, be asured, after the situation is over, someone will raise a sink about it and you will have to explain your actions. Youd better have a GOOD explanation. Plan on losing all your radio equipment and any license you have, at a minimum.

Most of the baofeng radios will communicate with emergency agencies. You will have to research frequencies and tones then program your radios ahead of time. This will have to be done for each one of the different jurisdictions/counties that u ride in. Think very seriously before you do it.

You'd be much better off to program in a bunch of ham repeaters for your riding areas. There is always someone listening and hams are good at passing emergency information. You will get in less trouble by going this route. Better yet get your very own amateur radio license. It is easy. A few hours of study and take a test. If you are smart enough to earn the money it takes to snowmobile, you are smart enough to get licensed.....

One passing note.
In the event of a TRUE EMERGENCY, ANYONE is legally permitted to transmit on HAM RADIO FREQUENCIES and there isn't a HAM operator I know of that would give you grief for reaching out for help.

But if you use our freqs for chatter, just know we absolutely LOVE FOX HUNTS...:face-icon-small-hap

W7AVW

Premium Features