• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

help clutching a mcx 290 apex

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hi guys. So basically I bought this sled and It would appear at this point imo that the guy put a 290 horse kit on it never really ran more than 12# base then at elevation it drops to 10# or lower. So it appears he put a adjustable helix in the secondary to compensate. which mind you works just really slow to build up boost and stuff.... so I'm on the task now that I own this sled and plan to run it 15-18# at its proper power level. To clutch it right!

So far this is what I have ordered. It was recommended by a few others and the mcx main distributer for north america. Is a PURPLE EPI secondary spring with a straight 47* helix.

Now my primary is the other half of the puzzle. I forgot to ask them about that. I weighed 1 primary weight and its at 58g I was told I need 80G or so? The spring appears to be a straight flat black spring I cannot find any stripes on it. Maybe it is a stock spring? Or maybe the guy put a lighter spring in to compensate for the lack of weight in the arms? Considering springs are much cheaper than new weights

So can anybody tell me what they figure about my primary setup? with a black spring and 58G am i alright? I know in general springs have like a start and finish rate. I know that a stiffer spring requires more weight (G's) to overcome the spring. But a lighter spring or softer would require less g's to overcome it right?

What do you guys figure on this? I know the clutching for the nytro and apex is very much the same providing the power levels are in the same range right? and they use the same clutches also pretty much. Thanks! :face-icon-small-con

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Secondary is right. 47 straight helix, EPI Purple or a Cat Green spring

I the primary: Blue/white/blue spring or a blue/brown/blue. I am running STM weights at around 86grams on 15lbs of boost. Dalton weights are good too. 14.5mm rollers. That should get you close.

Premium Features