• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need advise. crankshaft rebuild needed. Long rod or Rk tek or both

P
Dec 15, 2007
Puyallup, Wa
I just bought a sled with no history. I'm needing to redo the crank because of run out at .005" and want to know longevity of the long rod or rk tek drop in kit. What one is better. I plan on doing pistons either way. Should both kits be done or is it just a waist of money. Also I'm going with a turbo.
Thanks for any info!

Last edited:
R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
There is a days worth of reading if you search long rod or rkt. IMO both are good but you should probably stay with one or the other. If you need a new crank the long rod might be your best option.

gmustangt

Lifetime Membership
Aug 10, 2009
Basically you need rk tek long rod , Indy Dan custom Wosner pistons, PAR cylinder shim, mtntk head, bike man standalone, northstar stickers.

Just kidding, give the guys a call, talk to them. Get the info and make your choice, there are many threads on the topic.

Oct 4, 2013
If your going with a turbo you need to call and talk to some shops. I recommend calling the turbo builder first and ask him what he has found works best!

lorne1176

Lifetime Membership
Apr 24, 2010
Red Deer, AB
I'd go long rod from Indy Dan, let him know your planning on doing a turbo and he'll put in a set of pistons to work for what your going to do.

Oct 4, 2013
Not trying to say roff is wrong but he doesn't have any exp with this setup. The advise you needed has already been posted, you need to call a shop ( boondocker, hm turbos, turbo boys, silber.....) and figure out what turbo you want and ask them what they recommend to run with there setup. Turbo kits are made for stock sleds so a long rod might not work well but I'm not sure so YOU need to pick up the phone and make the calls. You will be amazed at how much more you will understand about these engines when you talk to a real builder for a little while.

Premium Features