• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best hand-held GPS?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Guys try out a gps with a built in or downloadable background map.
I really like the ease of use of garmin.
But... a gps without a map on it will only tell you where the truck is or where you have been. Without a background map you could be a hundred yards from rescue or disaster and not be able to tell what is around you or what direction to go to get there or avoid it.

JFro50

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2009
Hamburg, MN
I agree. I got a garmin 450T a couple years ago. It has s full topo map which is great for the mountains and I put a lake depth chip in which works awesome for fishing. I know you said $150, which this one is not. Just my opinion

Cheers

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I have an older Garmin 60cs. It has the garmin street maps running in the background. I have also loaded the trail maps to it. It is mounted on the side of the riser and wired to the battery. It works very well for me. I have heard good reports about the touch screen but have no first hand knowledge.

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I have an older Garmin 62cs. It has the garmin street maps running in the background. I have also loaded the trail maps to it. It is mounted on the side of the riser and wired to the battery. It works very well for me. I have heard good reports about the touch screen but have no first hand knowledge.
Do you have to buy a chip for it? I need it for off trail riding out west.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
My model has internal storage only. No memory card slot. I ride the Snowies in WY a lot. There are many of roads and such that show up with the road maps. I don't think there is enough storage space for the topo maps. I turn on Tracks and use that if we get into a area and need some direction to get out. I used the trail maps years back when I rode trails in MN WI and MI.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Before getting the hardware I would suggest looking at how the software will help you.

What kind of mapping you want AFTER the ride. Then decide.

If you have a smartphone you can buy a good GPS software program for under $25 and then decide on a dedicated hardware unit BUT most end up using the smart phone app.

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=215489

Last edited:

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
My model has internal storage only. No memory card slot. I ride the Snowies in WY a lot. There are many of roads and such that show up with the road maps. I don't think there is enough storage space for the topo maps. I turn on Tracks and use that if we get into a area and need some direction to get out. I used the trail maps years back when I rode trails in MN WI and MI.
Trail maps, meaning paper maps?
The guy I talked to at the store said the 62s they sell will take a chip/card for topo map but they want $100 for it. I believe that chip covers all 50 states. And they sell the GPS for $450. So it comes to $550 plus tax. I see ebay has them for $340 but I am not sure that one will accept a chip. I am new to this so it's a little confusing. I am thinking they will go down in price after Christmas.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
Trail maps, meaning paper maps?
The guy I talked to at the store said the 62s they sell will take a chip/card for topo map but they want $100 for it. I believe that chip covers all 50 states. And they sell the GPS for $450. So it comes to $550 plus tax. I see ebay has them for $340 but I am not sure that one will accept a chip. I am new to this so it's a little confusing. I am thinking they will go down in price after Christmas.
Again mine is an older unit that I bought off ebay for around $100. It has worked very well for me. The maps are a digital copy of the trails. I got them many years ago when they were free. Now companies like Red Pine Mapping sell these. I believe that the DNR also has free maps that can be downloaded and uploaded to a GPS. I think most GPS now come with the roads as the base map. Yes the topo's are nice but I think they put way too many contour lines on the screen. So I never spent the $ on them. I have a smartphone and use the Polaris Trail App. I do not know if that will work without cell service though. Maybe some of the newer apps would. I can't say.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Hey guys I am looking to buy a new GPS for sledding/vacations n such. I would like to get one for about 150$ or so. I saw this garmin and I am thinking this is good any ideas? Thanks!
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Garmin+-+eTrex+10+GPS/3721808.p?id=1218428680634&skuId=3721808
Hey Polaris Dude! I apologize if I hijacked your thread. I didn't mean to. Just need info just like you. :face-icon-small-dis
I see you are looking for people to head west with. Send me a PM if you wish. I would like to hear where your headed. :face-icon-small-hap

barkbuster

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2008
I was told not to get a touch screen model for snowmobiling.
True? Not true?:light:

I have been using a Garmin Montana 600 touch screen unit and it has worked excellent even in below zero temps. My only complaint is that it is hard to manipulate the screen with gloves on.

barkbuster

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2008
I agree. I got a garmin 450T a couple years ago. It has s full topo map which is great for the mountains and I put a lake depth chip in which works awesome for fishing. I know you said $150, which this one is not. Just my opinion

Cheers
A cheaper alternative to the 450T
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-oregon-450 for $199 same as the 450T but without the topo mapping built in.
Free topo maps are available for garmin units at http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ and can be loaded onto many Garmin units using Garmin's Basecamp program which is also free from Garmin's website. Basecamp also allows you to view your tracks on these topo maps, and even export tracks to google earth.

Premium Features