• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to set up an old sled for my wife?

97exc

Dec 14, 2008
CO
My wife just started riding this season and is working on gaining confidence and riding skills. She is riding a 1998 Skidoo Summit 500 136", which is all we could get for her this season. She likes it well enough and at 5'3", it seems to be enough for her. I just wanted to check and see if some of the ladies on here have any tips on how to set it up for maximum comfort and control.

She prefers trail rides right now, but it probably wont be long before she gets more of a taste for powder. She is not very aggressive though, so its more a matter of letting her learn at her own pace.

Any advice on sled setup that helped make riding more enjoyable would be greatly appreciated!

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I remember those sleds being pretty easy to carve, if you put your mind to it. The other thing I remember is that the running boards are SLICK! Get her a set of Better Boards and save her that possible loss of skin on shins, elbows or chin... :thumb:

If she's going to be an off trailer, I'd remove that sway bar, give her easier mobility. But maybe not immediately as she may not like the tippyness on the trail.

If I remember right the limiter strap also played a big part in the nimbleness of these. Maybe play with that.

Good luck and post up some pictures of her rides when you get a chance! :thumb:

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Look into a bar riser. Even at a shorter height, the taller the bar can be, yet being comfortable while sitting, the easier it will be to play with while standing up. I don't think you are going to get too carried away with the stock cables/hoses, but a 2-3" should help a bunch.

Premium Features