• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boost Creep?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i am just now getting some good seat time on my turbo. after a decently long pull my sled started to "flutter" and my boost gauge was moving rapidly from 10-14 psi. it did it for two pulls, then not again for the rest of the day. it doesn't do it at lower elevations in the fields during longer pulls; only at the hill.

i'm thinking it is boost creep and i need to port my wg; what are your thoughts?

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
What were you running for boost the rest of day? I don't think what your describing is boost creep.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
running 10-11 pounds. my buddy who is big into turbo cars suggested boost creep but i always thought it was slow rise; not a spuratic up and down like i had.

Vertical Asshauler

Lifetime Membership
Nov 22, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Did you check for boost leaks and all the vac lines all have a good/tight connection? Maybe the boost gauge is faulty, seen that before.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
Did you check for boost leaks and all the vac lines all have a good/tight connection? Maybe the boost gauge is faulty, seen that before.

i checked everything on the mtn; ill go through them in the shop again. the boost gauge seemed to be fine the rest of the day so i dont think that is it. also the motor was surging at the same time so i dont think it was the gauge.

S

Snowstar

Aug 22, 2006
Ogden Ut.
I had the same issues with the motor and the boost surging like you describe. Never did figure it out.

P

POLARIS600cc

Nov 27, 2007
MN
last time i rode my sled, had fuel filter plug up. caused it to go dead lean at wide open throttle. would lean pop and boost would surge like your describing. what was your afr showing during the surging times?

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
i was pulling pretty consistant 11.9 to 12.2 all day at wot. i didnt notice the afr at that time. i'll check it out next time i ride if it happens again.

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I have had this happen before as well. What were your RPM's hitting when this was going on. You could be bumping the rev limiter. The other likely cause, as others mentioned, is some sort of a leak, causing inconsistent boost to the motor. The other could be a lean condition at that particular boost and RPM level causing bad fire. Hope this helps find the issue.

Premium Features