• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2871 Compressor wheel damage

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I noticed that the fins/blades of my turbo have some chips, and some are even bent a little on the tips/edges. I also notice my sled has not been running consistently on top (good on bottom and mid range). It looks like something went through it, yet, it still produces boost and runs(just not as good as I think it should). Soooooo......is this my problem? Do I need a new one?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I noticed that the fins/blades of my turbo have some chips, and some are even bent a little on the tips/edges. I also notice my sled has not been running consistently on top (good on bottom and mid range). It looks like something went through it, yet, it still produces boost and runs(just not as good as I think it should). Soooooo......is this my problem? Do I need a new one?

I would be concerened with what went through the compressor. You might want to pull the Y-pipe and take a look at the pistons and rings.

A

Anthony Oberti

Jul 4, 2001
Eagle, ID
I look at them after almost every ride. Although, I noticed the damage to the compressor a little while back.......maybe 250miles already. So, does the damaged wheel affect performance noticeably?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
Small nicks in the compressor shouldn't pose a problem, missing blades is another story. If its still building boost like it was before your problem started its probably something else.

B

badass1000

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
I drag race with some guys that have some pretty chiped up wheels on their turbo street bikes and they do not notice any performance difference. I have a turbo system I got used that has some chiped up blades and it still works perfectly fine. You will notice a performance difference drag raceing in e.t. and mph way better then on a snowmobile on the snow.
Believe me. I would like to get my turbo repaired, but a new center section is over half the price of a new turbo. the one I have now makes plenty of power. Over 450hp at the rear wheels. When I need more power I will get a different turbo vs repairing the one I have now.
Some guys run their bikes at the drag strip without a filter. That is how the compresor damage ocurs. I make sure to always run a screen over the turbo inlet at a minimum. the screen will not efect performance and it will make sure little things do not get in the turbo and damage the compresor wheel.

Premium Features