• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Getting Pissed at this sled!!!

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Well got all my parts and started working on the sled. Got a lot done in the last two days. Cooler is in and so is the track and rail. Front plastic I broke is on. New recoil rope and intake boots. Heres where I get pissed started looking at my pistons closer through the exhaust after I took the Y pipe of and the mag side piston has some small scratches on it. Not sure if I should run it or rebuild. Not sure if i can afford to rebuild the top end right now have stuck to much money into this dang thing already this year. Might just park it for the season.

^dragon700^

Lifetime Membership
Dec 7, 2009
I live in boise Idaho.
rebuild

i would rebuild cause little scrashes will turn into bigger ones and you dont want to to get towed out thirty miles back to the truck sorry to here about your problem i hope you get it fixed it would be a shame to be done riding already.:beer; cheers for good luck buddy.

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Step back from the sled and regroup! Now, not knowing history of problems with your sled I read as though you have fixed what was broken/ not working properly and now have noticed small scatches on cyl. That in itself is no big deal if motor was running strong otherwise, pistons reveal more of what's going on @ the ring and ring land area and crown(top) of piston. If these things look good (along with compression) and cylinder walls have smooth light crosshatch pattern then finish it up and ride it, enjoy the riding season and leave the rebuild untill it really needs it. Time it out for summer project.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Step back from the sled and regroup! Now, not knowing history of problems with your sled I read as though you have fixed what was broken/ not working properly and now have noticed small scatches on cyl. That in itself is no big deal if motor was running strong otherwise, pistons reveal more of what's going on @ the ring and ring land area and crown(top) of piston. If these things look good (along with compression) and cylinder walls have smooth light crosshatch pattern then finish it up and ride it, enjoy the riding season and leave the rebuild untill it really needs it. Time it out for summer project.

DITTO...good info...

test your compression..if they are within reason and VERY close in psi between cylinders...ride on man..

small scratches are nothing to worry about..if your walls are clean and compression is good...your good...:beer;:beer;

S
Nov 26, 2007
Crazy Mountains
When I had my motor out this last fall, i looked at the pistons and cylinders and there were several little scratches. She still runs strong though... so I'm going to keep ridin her til she quits!

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I also have scratches on my piston and cylinder on the mag side and my compression is 125 on mag and 140 on pto side.
I have been riding for this season this way...... mined you I haven't been out that many times.

06 RMK 900

Oct 20, 2008
Mandan, North Dakota
Ok just went and did a comp test on the sled. It was really hard because it's hanging on the cherry picker and kinda hard to hold the motor and pull the rope. I was getting 122 psi exactly the same on both sides. I think if I had the motor in i could pull it a little harder and get some more because i'm only able to pull like two stroke cycles. I think i'm going to run it and rebuild this summer.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Premium Features